• MBTA Books

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by typesix

That book is in Childrens' section at the Downtown Crossing Barnes&Noble. Strange place to put it but good for getting new railfans while they're young.

by mb41

I hope your right. I see all the kids that grow up along the green line and their not buffs, I only know a couple that are.

Video games and computers are a big part of kids not getting into rr's and transit like the old days.

Kids once only had toy trains and kids loved riding the BERY in the old days, riding the rear bumper, pulling the pole, dropping the sand boxes, they had fun and games on transit, today it is different.

I hope that book will spark some kids interest to get involved :)

by mb41

Another new booklet is out in limited numbers "DMA/Trackless Fleet of the MBTA" 42 page color pictorial booklet, only 25 made. $ 19.95

Seashore Trolley Museum

by RailBus63

Who's the author of the DMA/trackless book?

by mb41

The producer of this booklet is myself, I have been producing a few different booklets for the museum.

by jonnhrr

Several of the train shows, notably Springfield (Big E) and the NMRA Hub Div. Marlboro show usually have the BSRA selling various Boston oriented publications. One I bought recently is "Tremont Street Subway - A Century of Public Service" which is an excellent detailed history of the building of North America's first subway.

by vanshnookenraggen

It looks as the Images of America Bostons Red Line is back in print. I just picked it up at the Barnes & Noble in Burlington.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Are there any books available at the Malden Public Library? I just got fired from my part-time job and I want to conserve my money.
  by ckb

FYI -- This is going on at the Newton Free Library next Monday:

"Beneath the Streets of Boston" Author Talk by Joe McKendry

Writer and illustrator Joe McKendry will speak on Beneath the Streets of Boston: Building America’s First Subway at the Library on Monday, August 8, 7:30PM. On display that evening will be some of his watercolors based on old photographs, construction drawings and newspaper clippings. The book is geared for adults and young adults. A booksigning will follow the talk.

Beckoning readers to examine the territory beneath Boston’s streets, McKendry explores a century-old world when the city took the initiative to design and create America’s first subway. With stunning artwork and and through a historically accurate narrative of Boston’s first “Big Dig,” he invites the reader to enter the subterranean realm of sandhogs who dug miles of tunnels by hand to create new routes, burrowing below Boston Harbor and working up above the Charles, building the Charlestown Bridge.

The system served as a model for the rest of the country, as a prototype urban transportation system that relieved traffic, mitigated congestion and got people where they wanted to go for only a nickel.

McKendry is a painter and illustrator whose work has appeared in the New York Times, Saturday Evening Post, Time-Life Books and Boston Magazine. He teaches painting at the Rhode Island School of Design and lives in Boston.

by mb41

That is the guy who is doing the summer reading program at Seashore Friday Aug. 19th.
  by mb41

"Pictorial History of the Middlesex & Boston Buses"

$ 12.95

Benefits car 41's restoration.

Ex-MBTA old looks 2600's and ex- 2900 whites shown in this book with M & B logos on them.
  by RailBus63

mb41 wrote:"Pictorial History of the Middlesex & Boston Buses"

$ 12.95

Benefits car 41's restoration.

Ex-MBTA old looks 2600's and ex- 2900 whites shown in this book with M & B logos on them.
Are these books available online? I didn't see this or the DMA/TT book in Seashore's online store.

JD

by mb41

These books you will not find on-line, either buy in person or possibly buy over the phone/fax for mail orders.

by darksun23c

On the topic of kids and railfanning,

I'm a teenager, and I've been interested in trains all my life. Until I was 6 I lived in Malden, and I remember making my parents take me to Malden Center station for hours so I could watch the trains. The major reason I became a railfan was because my father was. We travel a lot, and where ever we traveled, we'd always spend time in train stations or visit transit museums (like the railroad musesum in Baltimore) or just ride around on the subway.

My point is that I think family is a big part of getting kids into trains. I mean I have plenty of videogames and computer games, but I am railfan too. I agree that a lot more people used to ride the subway for fun and it is true they did for entertainment. Back then it was a playing, something kids did often. Nowadays, kids view the MBTA as the way to get from their house to the mall. In fact, in Newton, where I live, people are pretty snobbish, and a lot of my friends grew up be indoctrinated to stay off the train unless it was day, and then only the Green Line. They were told not to take buses. It still suprises me, because I spent my life going all over Boston on the T.

P.S. After 6, I grew up along the Green Line and I am a buff! Add me to your list, mb41.

by mb41

Newton, interesting. Did you know all the newton T bus routes except 501,502,503,504,505,500 are old M & B trolley lines? 553,554,556,558, 59,(part of 52)

I always called the Riverside line the dagger that killed the M & B system.

MTA had rights to Newton because of the A line at Newton Corner, now they killed the A line and that is what enabled them to build the D line. Bums :)