• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ConstanceR46

is there any source to the railroads losing separate livery?
  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: M-9 Trivia question: Why are the lower headlights and the marker lights reversed compared to the M-7's. M-7 had the headlights inside the markers. M-9's have the headlights outside the markers. :wink:
No trivia, the M9 will be as you see it in that pic, ditchlights outboard of markers.
  by BuddR32

Im not totally familiar with MNR, but the cars/lines that have the red paint scheme still will, as those are Connecticut cars, the NYS cars will have the NYS scheme. As has always (last 40+ years) been the case, Harlem and Hudson lines had NYS MTA Blue, New Havent Lines had Red.
  by DutchRailnut

Even the red cars (new Haven line) only 66% of cars are owned by Ct, other 34% of them are owned by NY as that is how New Haven is layed out in both states.
  by ConstanceR46

saw in one of my FB groups; 4 cars have landed in Hillside
  by geico

Why is is that 9009-9010 and along with 9011-9014 arrived? I know there are sets in Pueblo for testing. Why are we starting with a mismatched pair already? What happened to 9012?
  by cam36

What's the timeline for when these start going into service and receiving the additional units? Also, is there anything that needs to be done to them when they arrive, or are they good to go from the factory?
  by gregorygrice

geico wrote:Why is is that 9009-9010 and along with 9011-9014 arrived? I know there are sets in Pueblo for testing. Why are we starting with a mismatched pair already? What happened to 9012?
Does it really matter though?
  by geico

One would think they would come in order as married pairs as they are being delivered and not have a mis-mate before they even go live
  by DutchRailnut

or maybe someone did not get numbers right , it should have been 9011-9012 and 9013 - 9014.
  by inthebag

The car numbers are correct. 9011-9014 is indeed mismatched, but it is not a big deal to reattach them to their proper mates. 9014 was probably ready to go before 9012, so they sent it first. Keep in mind that until LIRR accepts the cars, they still belong to Kawasaki.

The cars will require some modifications before you even see them start testing on main track.
  by geico

Yes they need 3rd rail shoes at a minimum and coupler stuff.

I was curious about 9011-9014 being mis-matched to see if there was a yard incident at the factory not unlike when the NYCTA had subway cars delivered out of order due to assembly line accidents
  by Head-end View

I'm guessing at least six months 'til any go into revenue service. Lots of testing to be done. Many glitches will probably surface and lots of fine tuning will get done, all of it time consuming. On the positive side, the warm season is just about here, so perfect timing. Many months to do all this stuff, but the real test won't be 'til next winter comes. :wink:
  by LINYARailfan

Today5/1, on my way home from work on the LIRR today, I saw a glimpse of the first M9s that were delivered last Friday being worked on in building 3 at Hillside. I couldn't get any photos but hope this helps.
  by ConstanceR46

Saw photos of the interiors; told not to share any photos. TL;DR they're pretty similar to the M7s; i think the vestibules are wider and the posters have been replaced with LCD screens.