• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

what hell does that have to do with M-9's ????????????????????????????
  by BuddR32

DutchRailnut wrote:what hell does that have to do with M-9's ????????????????????????????
So that the railroad wont be in a bind come the PTC deadline if there are bugs or further delays with the M9 project, that's what it has to do with the M9 procurement and acceptance.

Either way, not going to happen.
  by adamj023

According to Wikipedia the M9 should be field testing on the LIRR this month while deliveries will start over the summer. I have yet to see an M9 on the LIRR tracks.

LIRR is doing Harold Signal work this weekend in addition to finishing up the rail tie project in Island Park and any other projects or maintenance schedules.

M3 breakdowns are constant. M9 will be very nice!

I am hoping M9’s will be utilized on city terminal zone lines, M9 seems ideal for stations in this area which include shorter platforms.
  by gregorygrice

adamj023 wrote: I am hoping M9’s will be utilized on city terminal zone lines, M9 seems ideal for stations in this area which include shorter platforms.
Just about every electric train runs in the City Terminal Zone...
  by amtrakhogger

Four M9’s sighted today 4/23,sitting in CSX Bayview Yard Baltimore.
  by adamj023

Time frame for the M9 to be at CSX sounds right. Where were cars shipped from initially? Baltimore isn’t far from Penn Station so I presume it will arrive very soon. I know the originals were made in Japan as I saw the cars in a Kawasaki plant video. Haven’t followed where these were produced and how they were shipped.
  by DutchRailnut

probably direct from Japan to Dundalk area of Baltimore via a Ro-Ro ship.
bigger question is do they have locomotive haul feature (brakes) or do they need to go on flatcars.
if so it would be detour via Selkirk ,
  by adamj023

Does it go to Yonkers? Not sure where it hits LIRR first. Any pics of the M9 on the tracks? Would have thought it would have come to a port closer to NYC like New Jersey. I guess they had the infrastructure in place in Baltimore.

No clue about locomotive haul.
  by amtrakhogger

The cars appeared to be on rail sandwiched by two TTX flats on either end.
  by BuddR32

I heard they have the DB40 valves so they can be shipped on their own wheels.

When they arrive here, the valves will be removed.
  by trainspot

Saw a photo on a FB group of 4 cars on a NB CSX freight, they’re on the way!
  by adamj023

Were these four shipped from Japan or Colorado? There were cars testing in Colorado which is why I am confused.

More than four cars will be needed to fully test the trains but at least progress is coming. These four cars should have already been received by LIRR.
  by trainspot

These had sat in Baltimore a few days I read, so I'd guess from Japan.
  by DutchRailnut

cars 9001 / 9002 and 9003 / 9004 are in colorado at TTC

these cars are 9011 / 9012 and a second pair someone reported there is already 6 M-9's at hillside wich would confirm numbers.