• LSL schedule change & sleeper added

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gskill

I had booked, as part of a longer trip, on the Lake Shore Limited Chicago to Boston for early April. When I booked, I had to book a sleeper on the 48 Chicago to Albany and coach ALB-BOS on 448.

Julie called the other day and said the schedule has been move up an hour with the new depature from Chicago being 2100 hours and the arrival/departures following all being an hour earlier. I then checked out the timetable by trying to make a new reservation and found out that I could upgrade to a sleeper all the way from Chicago through to Boston on 448.

I called 1-800-usa-rail tonight and now have a reservation in a sleeper, Car 4820, CHI-BOS.

Jerry S
  by BuddSilverliner269

gskill wrote:I had booked, as part of a longer trip, on the Lake Shore Limited Chicago to Boston for early April. When I booked, I had to book a sleeper on the 48 Chicago to Albany and coach ALB-BOS on 448.

Julie called the other day and said the schedule has been move up an hour with the new depature from Chicago being 2100 hours and the arrival/departures following all being an hour earlier. I then checked out the timetable by trying to make a new reservation and found out that I could upgrade to a sleeper all the way from Chicago through to Boston on 448.

I called 1-800-usa-rail tonight and now have a reservation in a sleeper, Car 4820, CHI-BOS.

Jerry S
Hi there and good luck!!! Please let us all know of your experience and if you did in fact get a sleeper straight thru from Chi-Bos. I know Amtraks schedule-time change is in April(I think in the middle of the month but not sure when) and its possible with the time change, the sleeper does in fact get added....
  by SwingMan

Actually, it looks (from another sourse) that the schedule change will occour around April 4th.

lirr415-Peter
  by Gilbert B Norman

The BOS-CHI Sleeper line is effective with 448 (02APR) and 449 (04APR)

Related discussion
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

And quite a bargain! A bedroom BOS/CHI is half the price of one NYP/CHI on opening day.
Best regards,
Rodger
  by BuddSilverliner269

Well this is indeed very good news for the Boston section of the LSL.I guess after the time change I will have to look and see if the NY section of the LSL will still have the same amount of sleepers or will it now be short 1 since the Boston section gains 1.Ive generally been running the LSL from NYP to Sunnyside once a week. Standbye
  by jp1822

Supposedly the schedule change is not happening - CSX and time slot issues into NYP, unfortunately. However, the sleeper is still in place. The Lake Shore Limited should have its three sleepers when combined in Albany - two for NYP and one for Boston passengers. The Lake Shore Limited was running with just two Viewliners between NYP and Chicago (as it normally does between late January and March.
  by BuddSilverliner269

jp1822 wrote:Supposedly the schedule change is not happening - CSX and time slot issues into NYP, unfortunately. However, the sleeper is still in place. The Lake Shore Limited should have its three sleepers when combined in Albany - two for NYP and one for Boston passengers. The Lake Shore Limited was running with just two Viewliners between NYP and Chicago (as it normally does between late January and March.
What do you mean? The schedule change isnmt happening and csx time slot issues. There isnt a train thats being added, just a sleeper to the Boston section.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The topic originator, Mr. GS Kill, noted that #48 would operate one hour earlier leaving CHI 900P; however there has been no reference to such at the website. Now Mr. JP has noted the schedule will be unchanged.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The topic originator, Mr. GS Kill, noted that #48 would operate one hour earlier leaving CHI 900P; however there has been no reference to such at the website. Now Mr. JP has noted the schedule will be unchanged.
Ohhh that schedule change..Somehow I forgot about that 1.DUH!!!!
  by Engineer Spike

I took my son to Amsterdam. I noticed that the LSL does not seem to still have a dining car. What happened?
  by ST214

The Lakeshore is using the Diner-Lite method....
  by SwingMan

The Diner-Lite car in suppliment of the Heritage diner runs NYP-CHI. Cafe runs BOS-CHI.

lirr415-Peter
  by mbutte

Well the on again, off again earlier schedule for #48 is back on again as of today.

ARROW is now showing the 9:00pm departure from Chicago starting April 4 again...

I understand that more of the stars have now been aligned that should allow Amtrak to actually make this positive change.

Coupled with the start of the through Boston Sleeper, things for the lowly LSL may be looking up...
  by Gilbert B Norman

This looks like a "stay tuned for the latest".

Of interest, 48-NYP-178 has not been "legalized"; or at least not yet.