• LSL schedule change & sleeper added

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by hi55us

Gilbert B Norman wrote:This looks like a "stay tuned for the latest".

Of interest, 48-NYP-178 has not been "legalized"; or at least not yet.
I don't think 1 hour is gonna cut it for the connection w/ 178
  by Gilbert B Norman

Even if #48's timekeeping, along with most others in the LD fleet, has markedly improved of late (not owing to any epiphany on the part of the Class I industry, but rather "traffic is down and we need those bucks from Amtrak"), I must concur with Mr. HI's thoughts.

But strictly looking at the microcosm of my personal travel needs, I noted at another topic:
Since I gave up using Amtrak on my journeys to family in the New York area (the schedule of 30-WAS-178 or 48-NYP/NYG-MNR all arrive too late for socializing evening of arrival. I want to make best use of my time when out there as hotels and auto rentals in Greenwich "ain't cheap')....,
While I continue to respect Amtrak's wisdom on having a scheduled 'cleanup train' to the East as CHI misconnects from a late 4,6,8,22 can be "heap big wampum' out of Amtrak's piggybank, it does mean I can no longer consider use of Amtrak for this journey . Since I do not foresee restoration or expansion of any LD services, "Amtrak Joe' at the throttle notwithstanding, my last journey has likely been made.
  by Printman2000

Does anyone know what food service is available (if any) on 48 from Albany to NYP? They cafe goes to Boston and they do not serve dinner in the diner-lite.
  by jp1822

Westbound they should be serving dinner in the Amfleet diner-lite. I would think they would want to get that out of the way before the Boston passengers board at Albany. Eastbound, you are largely SOL from Albany to NYC. But a lot of people often get off the train and run into the Albany train station to get some snacks. Having the eastbound move to a 9 p.m. departure would help get this train to NYC earlier, but not sure what is planned for any food service between Albany and NY. Last time I took the eastbound Lake Shore Limited, they were still serving lunch in the Amfleet diner-lite at 4:00 p.m. in the afternoon as we arrived into Albany! These Amfleet diner-lite cars don't work for a train like the Lake Shore Limited. Get the Heritage Diners fixed up and returned to the Lake Shore.
  by ST214

From A-R:

Departure for NYP will be at 3:30PM, 1:20 earliar and will arrive into NYP at 6:25PM, 1 hour earliar...

Oddly enough, no time changes for the Boston section.
  by hi55us

ST214 wrote:From A-R:

Departure for NYP will be at 3:30PM, 1:20 earliar and will arrive into NYP at 6:25PM, 1 hour earliar...

Arrival intro CHI 1 hour earlier too? I guess not since that would require a new tt for the bos section
  by ST214

No, no changes to 49/449, just 48/448 and nothing East of A-R for 448.
hi55us wrote:
ST214 wrote:From A-R:

Arrival intro CHI 1 hour earlier too? I guess not since that would require a new tt for the bos section
  by Printman2000

Actually, 49 is now scheduled to leave NYP at 4:00 instead of 3:45. Arriving Albany 6:30. After Albany, no changes.

449 will leave Boston at 11:55 instead of 12:00.
  by ST214

449 has been leaving at 11:55 for some time now....
Printman2000 wrote:Actually, 49 is now scheduled to leave NYP at 4:00 instead of 3:45. Arriving Albany 6:30. After Albany, no changes.

449 will leave Boston at 11:55 instead of 12:00.
  by ramonesfan

it apperes amtrak has changed the tine for 448 back to 9PM now. maybe it was a problem with CSX not fully agreeing to the new time.
  by hs3730

Been checking the schedule online (still don't have printed ones available) and it seems that this Saturday is the last day for the old LSL schedule.
From what I can surmise by playing with the online reservation system:
-On Sunday 4/5, the train is listed as 1048 with no name. Probably a one-off alteration needed to keep the system straight, since it started its trip while the current schedule is in effect
-48 arrives/departs Albany at 2:40/3:30 PM instead of 3:40/4:50 PM, no longer stopping at Hudson, Rhinecliff, or Poughkeepsie. The removal of Hudson and Rhinecliff should help restore the possibility of arriving in NYP early, since those were stops that allowed passengers on. Unfortunately since Albany is still a stop where passengers may board, the speed at which the cutting is done still does not help facilitate an early arrival, merely an on-time departure. But now the scheduled dwell time in Albany has been cut by 20 minutes.
-448 departs Albany at 3:25 PM with a scheduled Boston arrival at 9:10 PM, from 4:10/9:45.
-242 and 244 were moved to depart Albany at 2:55 PM / 4:45 PM instead of 3:05 PM / 3:50 PM.
-49 is back to receive only at Albany (though that always seems variable to me, sometimes the reservation system let you on even when it was receive only for the printed timetable).
  by ST214

At least the change was finally posted...that will give me extra time going home from CA on May 24th...as i have to be at North Station by 11:20 to get my train that leaves for home at 11:30.

hs3730 wrote: -448 departs Albany at 3:25 PM with a scheduled Boston arrival at 9:10 PM, from 4:10/9:45.
  by Gilbert B Norman

An Amtrak train numbered 1xxx, or in the case of Mr. hs3730's observation regarding the Lake Shore (LSL in forumese, but be assured not Amtrakese), represents a train operated as Extra. It would appear that the schedule change will take effect 201A Sunday April 5, which is consistent with Amtrak and railroad past practice. Therefore #48 (04 APR) is annulled, and a Passenger Extra will be operated by NS and CSX.

Anyone making web site Train Status inquiry should be mindful to query Train 1048 or 1448 for the Apr 04 departure of both from CUS. Not sure what Julie does in this case - can't think of when I last, if ever, used her for anything
  by AMTK1007

Only the Lakeshore schedule is changing this week... the regular schedule change is in May...
  by ne plus ultra

I've followed this thread in a limited way, so I apologize if this is redundant or if I'm misstating the novelty of the info, but I think this PR-wire story:
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=91224

may be the first to confirm a new sleeper on the Boston section, and also to mention that this part of a specific initiative aimed at 6 trains:

"The Lake Shore Limited is one of six trains that are getting an intense focus to improve revenue, ridership, and to drive customer service improvements across the Amtrak system."

Also, it mentions that Lake Shore Limited ridership is up 1.9% year-over-year for the 5 month period beginning the Amtrak fiscal year. (That's post gas-price decline.) And that ridership on "overnight trains" is up 7% for that same period of Oct-Feb.

I guess this is probably contained in an Amtrak presser as well, but I happened to find the wire copy first.