• Lowell Line Lowell trolley connection

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by trainhq

Saw an article in the Sunday Lowell paper about connecting the historic trolley with Gallagher train
station. I think the idea would be to give people at
UMass Lowell and the new condos on the Merrimack
a trolley connection to the train station. The trolley
would then be used for both transit and tourists. The
price tag looked like it would be over 20 million;
kind of high for me, but still doable. What does
anyone think about this; a good idea, or another
$$$$ wasting boodoggle?

by Diverging Route

I didn't see the article, but if it didn't metion it.... the proposal is being done in partnership with the Seashore Trolley Museum and the National Park Service. Seashore already runs its New Orleans "Streetcar Named Desire" 966 in Lowell during the peak season.

The proposal also includes a satellite museum location for Seashore, and other historic cars mixed in with the Gomaco replicas. It will take big bucks, and a long time. But if it can happen, it could be a model for other cities.

by StevieC48

Yes Seashore does have a satelite location in Lowell and will be running the NOPS 966 this summer. It only runs Thursday through Sunday by members of the museum. Stevie Hemeon Instructor/Dispatcher Seashore

by efin98

Diverging Route wrote:I didn't see the article, but if it didn't metion it.... the proposal is being done in partnership with the Seashore Trolley Museum and the National Park Service. Seashore already runs its New Orleans "Streetcar Named Desire" 966 in Lowell during the peak season.

The proposal also includes a satellite museum location for Seashore, and other historic cars mixed in with the Gomaco replicas. It will take big bucks, and a long time. But if it can happen, it could be a model for other cities.
Actually it's using the model set by other cities right now...places like LA and Dallas and Memphis and Tampa have systems that Lowell will be copying. The only difference between them and Lowell is that Lowell would have the backing of the NPS rather than being a municipal backing.

by mb41

I hope the connection will happen from downtown to the rail station, also the connection out to the Lowell Spinners ball park (LaLacheur Stadium).

In today's Metro Lowell talks about attracting 20's somethings to the mill condos they are re-doing. If they want this type of crowd to move to Lowell they will need to expand that trolley system and connect downtown to the train station for these type of people.

by Ron Newman

Why can't they just street-run the trolleys through the highway underpass on Dutton Street?

by mb41

Where is Dutton Street?

I know the extension will go from the current end of the line by the canal down from the B & M train set.

by Porter Sq

Ron Newman wrote:Why can't they just street-run the trolleys through the highway underpass on Dutton Street?
Dutton St isn't wide enoguh to do this. With re-alinement the ROW will be wide engough for two tracks. The last thing we need are these yuppies to move up too Lowell and push the house prices sky high. Personally I wish they would stay out of my city and stay in Boston.

by b&m 1566

All the information regarding this project is at this website http://www.heritagetrolley.org/existLowell.htm

by trainhq

I don't know if it's going to happen. If you've had a look at where the
trolley ends, and then try to see how they'd hook it up to Gallagher
Intermodal center, I think you'd agree that there would be some serious engineering problems in getting the trolley under the highway next to Gallagher. It may cost too much to be worth the effort.

by Ron Newman

I don't see why it needs to go "under" the highway, rather than just laying tracks on the highway itself and street-running it into the terminal.

by mb41

If this extension ever gets off the ground, this will require more Gomaco replicas I would think. Also I think it will come under LRTA's operations.
I think they want to extend all three braches? I'll have to look at the diagram. I know they want to build a carhouse on the west side.

by mb41

Thanks, I forgot about the APTA heritage page.

by trainhq

In response to Mr. Newman:

[I don't see why it needs to go "under" the highway, rather than just laying tracks on the highway itself and street-running it into the terminal.]

You'd have to see for yourself. The highway running past Gallagher
is a four lane road with a considerable grade. The trolley tracks are adjacent. Street running would require a grade crossing, widening of the highway, and a steep grade which I don't think the trolley could handle.
The better solution would be to tunnel the trolley under the road into
Gallagher; but that would cost serious $$$$.[/quote]