• Lowell Line Lowell trolley connection

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by b&m 1566

To bad they filled in the ROW for the road to be built, had they built a bridge and kept the ROW in tacked they wouldn't have to tackle this problem.
Why was that part of the Y closed anyways with the other part left open for trains use? I looked at an aerial photo of the area and the only thing really in the way of the right of way is the road that crosses over it. Did they discontinue that section of track for the road to be built with out a bridge?
In any event, I know some people think that it might cost to much (the tunneling, etc.) but after working in Lowell for the last 5, 6 years and talking to the trolley drivers as well as one of the mill owners you can help but feel that the city of Lowell wants this to happen. The NP wants it to happen. The university (UMass Lowell) which has been working side by side with the city and the NP wants it to happen. The trolley extension is going to happen. It may not connect to the terminal which is there first option, but they do have other options like refurbishing the other leg of the Y instead of the one going right to the terminal. Not to mention the Seashore Trolley Museum has been working with the NP to get this project going.

by trainhq

I live in Lowell too, and I think the trolley extension to Gallagher would
be a good idea, especially with the new downtown condos being built.
But make no mistake about it, we're talking about a serious line with
some serious $$$ involved, not just a seasonal tourist trolley. They'll
have to sell it to the state and feds as such, and use it as such.

by mb41

I hope so too :) They built the New Orleans waterfront as a tourist deal, but locals wound up riding it so much and that caused them to bring back Canal Street.