• Looking for system map of SEPTA at greatest extent

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3toNEC

Does anyone have a map that could be scanned, emiled, etc. which shows the Septa (prob Penn RR at the time) at its fullest extent...i.e R3 to WestChester, R5 to Lancaster, etc.

by tinmad dog

I have a picture of one of the old maps from the city hall concourse. It shows service to West Chester, Parkesburg, Pottsville, Newtown, and Ivy Ridge via Bala Cynwyd. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get it on the website. The map in 69th street terminal is good to, but I don't have pictures. Also fun is at Market east, the signs on the westernmost end of the westbound platform still say R2 Marcus Hook, R3 West Chester, R6 Ivy Ridge

by R3toNEC

tinmad dog wrote:I have a picture of one of the old maps from the city hall concourse. It shows service to West Chester, Parkesburg, Pottsville, Newtown, and Ivy Ridge via Bala Cynwyd. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get it on the website. The map in 69th street terminal is good to, but I don't have pictures. Also fun is at Market east, the signs on the westernmost end of the westbound platform still say R2 Marcus Hook, R3 West Chester, R6 Ivy Ridge
Do you know how to go about getting one of those? I would love to get my hands on one. Also, is the item scannable? You could then post it, email it, etc.

by Matthew Mitchell

tinmad dog wrote:I have a picture of one of the old maps from the city hall concourse. It shows service to West Chester, Parkesburg, Pottsville, Newtown, and Ivy Ridge via Bala Cynwyd.
Is there one still around there? This is the one that shows the commuter rail lines in green.

Given that the lines are all straight, and the angles pretty constant (see a tube map for example), it might not be hard to reconstruct said map in any decent drawing program.

Matt Mitchell
(donated the pre-tunnel edition of the new map [i.e. showing the RRD in grey] that hangs in the DVARP office)

by Matthew Mitchell

BTW, the graphic technology of that era (1970s into early 1980s) would have been to use rolls of special colored tape (of very precise widths) and rub-on letters and symbols to make the masters for printing those signs.

by tinmad dog

Its a digital file, i took it about a year ago, i just don't have a website to link to it. The rail lines are indeed green on it.

by Franklin Gowen

There used to be one of the old, railroad-lines-in-green SEPTA maps at Exton. Might be gone by now. This one would be a better candidate for photography than the one I used to see daily at the inbound 15th St. subway-surface platform in 2002.

The latter really can't be photographed well without using a flash. The highlights of popping off a strobe cause a circular area right in the middle of your map to lose all details. If you use super-fast film (ISO 800 or 1600), the grain structure of the film will likewise eat up details. Perhaps a very-good-quality digital camera would be able to take a decent shot of the map in RAW mode?

by JeffK

There are also a number of maps online at http://www.phillytrolley.org

by R3 Rider

Franklin Gowen wrote:There used to be one of the old, railroad-lines-in-green SEPTA maps at Exton. Might be gone by now. This one would be a better candidate for photography than the one I used to see daily at the inbound 15th St. subway-surface platform in 2002.
That map is still there, and I've missed many a train because I was drooling over that map instead of running from the trolley platform to Suburban Station. ;)

by R3toNEC

Does anyone know the closed stations on each line so that I can fill in the map appropriately

by Lucius Kwok

I have some photos of the Conrail-era commuter rail map in Exton. I'm planning to draw a version of it and I'll post it when it's done.

by Lucius Kwok

Medium Large PDF

Note the slightly different colors for the Reading and Penn Central lines.

Use the PDF version for printing, and the large version if you have a large screen.

by sccaflagger74

Lucius, check the station names on the Pennsy Trenton Line. You've got some duplicates in place of Bristol and some others.

BTW, great map. I never knew that there was a station in Trainer. Anyone know when it was closed? I could understand why it's gone, not much in the area.

Bob