• Looking for system map of SEPTA at greatest extent

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3toNEC

Again a great map!

by Lucius Kwok

Bob,

I've updated the map fixing the errors along the Trenton line. There were just too many stations in 1980, I think. Please reload the images. Thanks.

by R3 Rider

Thank you for making that map, Lucius. 'Tis a thing of beauty (as well as informative) and shall adorn the desktop of my computer for a very long time. :)

by queenlnr8

WOW! GREAT MAP! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

by KLCS

A question about the map and services from that time. The map shows arrow continuing to Harrisburg, Trenton, DC, etc. Were these a continuation of commuter services or long-distance?

by Lucius Kwok

^ I have no idea. My map is a copy of the one in Exton, which I think is from 1980. I think Amtrak would have been operating the intercity services to New York, Washington, Atlantic City, and Harrisburg. The Reading trains to Newark might have still been running.

Thanks for the comments.

by PARailWiz

As I recall, those old maps said something to the effect of "Penn-Central [or] Reading trains to [destination]," although I admit to personally seeing one of those maps no more than twice.

by alewifebp

Great map!

by R3 Rider

PARailWiz wrote:As I recall, those old maps said something to the effect of "Penn-Central [or] Reading trains to [destination]," although I admit to personally seeing one of those maps no more than twice.
Something like that. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there's an even older system map printed on a huge wall tile at the eastbound 15th Street trolley stop; that one dates back to either '76 or '77, but shows pretty much the same information as the map Lucius recreated. Unfortunately it's really dark down there, so you'd probably have to bring special equipment to take a good picture.

by RDGAndrew

I think Amtrak would have been operating the intercity services to New York, Washington, Atlantic City, and Harrisburg. The Reading trains to Newark might have still been running.
Correct (except AC, which I think was Conrail/PRSL until Conrail exited the passenger business in 83, and didn't start up again under Amtrak until after a major track rehab in the mid- to late 80's.) My parents took my siblings and me to NYC on two occasions in the early and mid-80's, once in the ex-RDG RDC's that Conrail operated until 1983, and the later trip (around '84 or '85) on Amtrak. We caught the Conrail train in Jenkintown (much more convenient to our Warminster home than 30th St. or Trenton) and took PATH from Newark to WTC. Unfortunately I was pretty young and don't remember much about that trip. I sure wish you could go all the way thru from Jenkintown now!

by Lucius Kwok

R3 Rider: One day I'll have to get myself down there and get some pictures.

RDGAndrew: I almost forgot about the PRSL. Thanks.