• Lechmere Viaduct Progress

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

Last evening while driving alongside the Lechmere viaduct near the Museum of Science, I saw lit signals on the right-of-way for the first time since the shut-down. Progress comes in small steps...

by aline1969

AMEN!!! Oh brother what a nightmare on Elm Street that has been.

by Red Wing

For the past 3 days crews have been working from Science Park station to about the Gilmore bridge. Looks like their working on the station entrances right now, but I can't see what their doing on the viaduct past the station.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

does any1 know when it is planned to open, soon by the looks of it, but any rough dates?

by octr202

MBTA said weekend of Nov. 12-13th a couple weeks ago.

by Red Wing

Sorry for the multiple posts but I thought it wasn't posting

by F-line to Dudley via Park

Did Science Park and Lechmere at least get their platforms raised to ADA compliance during the long shutdown? 'Cause if the T didn't even do that, they REALLY don't know how to manage their time. Neglecting the obvious patch and track work any idiot could tell was needed on the Viaduct until AFTER service was supposed to be restored was bad enough.

by SbooX

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Did Science Park and Lechmere at least get their platforms raised to ADA compliance during the long shutdown? 'Cause if the T didn't even do that, they REALLY don't know how to manage their time. Neglecting the obvious patch and track work any idiot could tell was needed on the Viaduct until AFTER service was supposed to be restored was bad enough.
Lechemere definatly didnt get raised. I was up there the other day, and they are doing a lot of work at the station and on the platforms, but they will still be low. New concrete was poured for the "platforms", those bumpy yellow stips installed, the outside fences were painted, the fences separating the tracks have been torn down (no idea if they are going back up), and the glass at the bus stop was clean and replaced. At least thats all I noticed.

Its worth noting that the T is still planning to relocate Lechmere to the other side of Rt 28 in a few years time which is one reason why they won't pump lots of cash into there. If they didn't do anything to Science Park though, thats just incompetence.

by Ron Newman

An ADA-compliant platform at Science Park will do no good whatsoever until there is an elevator.

by vanshnookenraggen

Still, it would be better to do it now than whenever they install elevators, if ever.

by jwhite07

Did Science Park and Lechmere at least get their platforms raised to ADA compliance during the long shutdown? 'Cause if the T didn't even do that, they REALLY don't know how to manage their time.
All the time in the world, even if meticulously managed, doesn't do a bit of good if the second (and most critical) element is not in place - money.

Science Park is not a "key" station under ADA, and Lechmere is planned to be relocated, so no money has been yet been earmarked to upgrade either station. So, one might say that the T is not wasting time and money on upgrading these stations right now...

by Robert Paniagua

Sorry for the multiple posts but I thought it wasn't posting

Don't worry now, I fixed that problem, since I can kill posts especially duplicate ones

by Ron Newman

Given that Science Park serves an important museum and at least one senior-citizen building, some attempt towards ADA compliance ought to be made a higher priority there. Not necessarily right now, but it shouldn't be put off indefinitely either.

The temporary North Station elevated entrance on Causeway Street, which was only used for about 5 years, had elevators. I hope they were salvaged rather than destroyed. Couldn't they be reinstalled at Science Park?
  by Ron Newman

From the T web site:

Effective Saturday, November 12th, Green Line Service To Lechmere and Science Park Stations To Resume
E-Mail: [email protected]

Effective at the start of service on November 12, 2005, service to Science Park Station and Lechmere Station will resume on the Green Line. The following routes will be in effect starting November 12th, and continue until further notice:

* E-Line Lechmere Station to Heath Street via Huntington Avenue

* C-Line Cleveland Circle to North Station via Beacon Street

* B-Line Boston College to Government Ctr. via Commonwealth Ave

* D-Line Riverside to Government Center via the Highland Branch

The MBTA thanks you for your patience while track replacement and construction to build a new trestle connecting the Green Line with Science Park occurred.

by AznSumtinSumtin

W00TNESS! Its on a Saturday. I'll try to be there. I'll type up a trip report. Hopefully I can see where the C trains will turn around.