• Lechmere Viaduct Progress

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by parovozis

Ron Newman wrote:From the T web site:

* E-Line Lechmere Station to Heath Street via Huntington Avenue

* C-Line Cleveland Circle to North Station via Beacon Street

* B-Line Boston College to Government Ctr. via Commonwealth Ave

* D-Line Riverside to Government Center via the Highland Branch
I don't get this. Is E -- the least frequent route -- the only route that goes to Lechmere?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what time would they start?? 5 in the morning right? is there goin to be a cermony or anything?

by sery2831

I don't get this. Is E -- the least frequent route -- the only route that goes to Lechmere?
The E Line in recent times has always been the only line to go to Lechmere. That is where all the cars for that line start and finish. Service will now be back to the same level as it was before all the construction started! Service was increased to Lechmere when the lower level at North Station was closed. The T changed the D line from Gov't Center to Lechmere and the C line from North Station to Gov't Center.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

parovozis wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:From the T web site:

* E-Line Lechmere Station to Heath Street via Huntington Avenue

* C-Line Cleveland Circle to North Station via Beacon Street

* B-Line Boston College to Government Ctr. via Commonwealth Ave

* D-Line Riverside to Government Center via the Highland Branch
These were the traditional route assignments until North Station Lower closed in 1997. Because that turnback was eliminated, the D was "temporarily" extended to Lechmere and the C was curtailed to Government Center...although that was not a natural routing and it did cause a little strain on headways on the D. The restoration of the pre-'97 assignments should balance the load out.

by SbooX

What? Only one line to Lechmere? Thats bull.

by Robert Paniagua

I know, they should extend the B to Lechmere with the E. Just like the late 70s!!

by Ron Newman

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what time would they start?? 5 in the morning right?
The T press release says "Effective at the start of service", so yeah, it's going to be some time around 5 am.

I assume some non-revenue runs will have to be made the night before so that there are some trains in the Lechmere yard by the time service starts on Saturday morning.

by AznSumtinSumtin

I know this may be a stupid question. Where are the E trains currently held if Lechmere isn't open.

by Reddy Rocker

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:I know this may be a stupid question. Where are the E trains currently held if Lechmere isn't open.
I believe the answer to that question is the Brattle Loop at Gov't Center. I see Out of Service trains sitting there all the time, some of which have their rollsigns saying "E - Heath Street".

by darksun23c

Um, where are the FleetCenter tracks, underground? I mean, I've looked at many photos of that area and been down there myself and never seen any Green Line equipment above ground.

by Robert Paniagua

Yep, you bet they are, and no, don't bother going in that tunnel yourself :-D

Unless you're riding to Lechmere, try to take a hard look out the window for the lay-up tracks when it opens up.

by octr202

IIRC, from materials I can't find now, its essentially one pocket track, albeit several or more cars long, that is around the bend going outbound from North Station, putting it in the tunnel section that passes through/near the Garden/North Station parking garage.

If you're in the right spots in the parking garage, and its quiet, you can hear the trolleys moving around near you. I never have wandered around enough to figure out where they are.

by chex

According to my 'rapid transit' schedule card from 01-Jan-2005, the 1st E-train will leave North Station at 5:06 AM Saturday. I assume the 1st train from Lechmere would leave at the same time, which would be the 1st revenue service train thru the tunnel.

Some of us did a 'last run' the last day of the elevated run last year (Ron Newman?? ) .. would anyone want to meet at that ungodly hour for the 1st run from Lechmere?

-- Stefan in da North End

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what time would they start?? 5 in the morning right? is there goin to be a cermony or anything?

by subwayguide

I am intending to be at Lechmere for the first run.
chex wrote:Some of us did a 'last run' the last day of the elevated run last year (Ron Newman?? ) .. would anyone want to meet at that ungodly hour for the 1st run from Lechmere?

-- Stefan in da North End

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what time would they start?? 5 in the morning right? is there goin to be a cermony or anything?

by Ron Newman

5 am Saturday? Sorry, I can't do that.