• Last Weeks for the Classic R8 Fox Chase

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Jersey_Mike

Just saw in today's Metro that the data for the complete single tracking of the R8 Fox Chase line is set for Monday June 20th.

For those of you who down know, the R8 Fox Chase shared trackage w/ the CSX trenton line between CP-NEWTOWN JCT and CP-CHELTENHAM JCT. This portion of track has some really unique sections of overhead catenary, but also gave rise to tensions between CSX and SEPTA (who dispatched the track). SEPTA caved in and decided to reduce the line to a single track with two small passing sidings at both the afformentioned junctions.

The reduction in capacity that this brings probably will spell the death of any hope to restore service to Newtown. Passengers at the Onley and Lawndale stations will now use the indound platform only.

You can see pictures of the R8 taken during the most recent Mid-Winter trip here: http://acm.jhu.edu/~sthurmovik/Railpics ... nails.html

I am planning a Last Ride of the Old R8 trip for either Friday the 17th or Sunday the 19th of June. If anyone is interested please contact me as we can set things up. Friday would be ideal, but I know all of you (with the notable exception of Chuchubob) have jobs and would probably need to do this on a Sunday (ick, 2 hour headways).

by LAUNCHman

DO NOT MAKE YOUR TRIP ON THE SUNDAY. R8 FOX CHASE IS CLOSED ON WEEKENDS NOW ("TEMPORARY SHUTTLE FOR SIGNAL WORK"). YOUR LAST TRIP WOULD BE ON A DIESEL OPERATED... BUS.

by jfrey40535

You mean like Newtown-Fox Chase?

by Jersey_Mike

Well then Friday it is.

by Silverliner II

I was the engineer of the next-to-last CSX freight to operate on the "classic arrangement" (the last train was about 25 minutes behind me).

It's still taking me time to get used to seeing the new SEPTA configurations at Newtown Jct. and the Lawndale siding.

So far (as far as R8 operations go), as heard from a friend who rides it daily to and from work, the new setup has not caused him any delays. And as the current schedule is set up, most meets would be at Lawndale siding and/or between Wayne Jct. and Newtown Jct. anyway. On the same note, on weekends, only a single train occupies the branch at any one time. So in reality, there is not much of a capacity reduction. It just means the train dispatchers actually have to do some real dispatching.
  by chuchubob

Jersey_Mike wrote: I am planning a Last Ride of the Old R8 trip for either Friday the 17th or Sunday the 19th of June. If anyone is interested please contact me as we can set things up. Friday would be ideal, but I know all of you (with the notable exception of Chuchubob) have jobs and would probably need to do this on a Sunday (ick, 2 hour headways).
Very funny. Fortunately, my job is on "summer hours" now, which means that we work an extra 45 minutes Mon thru Thu and work 5 hours Fri. For me, that's 6:15 to 11:15 AM, which allowed me to join you on your farewell to double track R8 trip.

Photos here:
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Bobs ... pix?page=5

Bob

by Jersey_Mike

HA, I also got my pictures up as well.

http://acm.jhu.edu/~sthurmovik/Railpics ... nails.html
I was the engineer of the next-to-last CSX freight to operate on the "classic arrangement" (the last train was about 25 minutes behind me).
Is CSX demanding that SEPTA pull down the wire so they never have to risk service being restored onto their track? Hey, if you ever feel the need to derail try to take out one of those new Darth Vaders they put in.

by Silverliner II

Silverliner II wrote:I was the engineer of the next-to-last CSX freight to operate on the "classic arrangement" (the last train was about 25 minutes behind me).
Jersey_Mike wrote:Is CSX demanding that SEPTA pull down the wire so they never have to risk service being restored onto their track? Hey, if you ever feel the need to derail try to take out one of those new Darth Vaders they put in.
About the wire, not that I know of. Likely it will remain there until either CSX removes it when and if they ever clear for stacks...or until SEPTA takes it down themselves, or it falls down.

LOL, so you call them Darth Vader signals too, eh? Those hoods DO give that appearance. But I'll pass on the derailing. Even though it's the only way we get brand new track on CSX sometimes, I would hate to disrupt SEPTA....

:-D

by glennk419

Silverliner II wrote: But I'll pass on the derailing. Even though it's the only way we get brand new track on CSX sometimes, I would hate to disrupt SEPTA....

:-D
And even that doesn't always works......take a look at the Lansdale wye that's been OOS since CSX dropped a couple boxcars on the ground four months ago.....they rather tie up a crew and pay for an additional trick (for the ride to Norristown) just to turn a boxcar than repair the track.

by Nasadowsk

When was tht catenary built? Some of the sections look like they have modern insulatots, but MAN, there's a LOT of just downright weird looking stuff there.

Was it always like that?

by Silverliner II

Nasadowsk wrote:When was tht catenary built? Some of the sections look like they have modern insulatots, but MAN, there's a LOT of just downright weird looking stuff there.

Was it always like that?
The Fox Chase line was electrfied by the Reading with City funding in 1966.

by glennk419

Yes, the catenary structure along the Fox Chase line is unique, right down to the wooden support poles between Cheltenham and Fox Chase, something you won't find anywhere else on the system.

I wonder if we'd still be running to Newtown if the branch had never been electrified or if the whole branch would be dead at this point?

by Silverliner II

glennk419 wrote:I wonder if we'd still be running to Newtown if the branch had never been electrified or if the whole branch would be dead at this point?
Now THAT would be a good question. Given SEPTA's track record, if the line had still not been electrified by the time the commuter tunnel opened, I would bet the entire line would have died, and CSX would be using the Newtown Jct.-Cheltenham segment as a short piece of double-track railroad today.

by wagz

Anyone know how trains now get from the Northbound main to the now single Fox Chase branch track (what used to be southbound). As of everyone's photos from the 17th, there is no connection. The "southbound" Fox Chase track crosses the Northbound main, but that's it. Did they install a slip switch on that crossover at the last minute?

by glennk419

It appears that a new turnout has been installed from the northbound main just above the Broad Street / Old York Road bridge at Logan. This leads to a siding which then connects to the Fox Chase single track just above the "old" R8 inbound / northbound main moveable points crossing. A picture of the lead to the siding is here, obviously the trackwork was incomplete at this time and I see no catenary yet installed. http://acm.jhu.edu/~sthurmovik/Railpics ... t-sig.html