Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RearOfSignal

spidey3 wrote:Agreed - but that still doesn't answer whether there is some reason why they are always spotted on track 34. I assume that forcing me to get more exercise than I otherwise would is not the reason... :-)

Spidey!!!
Maybe the question should be why is your train always stacked behind the inspection cars. Not why the inspection cars are on track 34.
  by DutchRailnut

Just about every upper level track has 480 standby receptacles.
One of reasons 34 is used is its lenght and even with 3 inspection cars a train sitting on 34 will not trip the signal detection yet.
  by Tadman

Won't kill me, I ride the CTA to work.
  by spidey3

DutchRailnut wrote:why can't walk 250 feet ????
That's a long 250 feet when you are running to catch the train which is leaving in less than 15 seconds :-)
  by DutchRailnut

Get there sooner, if not there is another train boarding in 40 minutes.
  by spidey3

DutchRailnut wrote:Get there sooner, if not there is another train boarding in 40 minutes.
Humor alert...
  by DutchRailnut

yup the Defenition of a late passenger is " he is early for next train"
  by Train2009

I saw an Inspection train equipment move headed southbound late this morning at 11:45 AM in Tarrytown pulling by GP35 #104.
Last edited by Train2009 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

If it was pulled by GP35r it was not a inspection train but just equipment move with cars MN1-MN-3 and MN-2.
  by railmason357

Engines 213/216 and MN2-3-MN1 are on track 26 in GCT. Hear they are going to Poughkeepsie today.
  by railmason357

Heard they are going to Danbury on Tuesday 8/3/10
  by FL9AC

Correct!! The inspection is currently in Danbury with the 207 flying solo with the three inspection cars :wink:
  by Wayside Observer

Whatever happened to the new inspection train that was supposed to be made out of older Bomb cars? Has it been sliced by the budget axe to?
  by DutchRailnut

correct, no money, it would be dumb to start a program like this while the MTA is broke.