• Hurricane Sandy

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by lirr42

Maybe when Metro-North clears/opens the upper Hudson Line (Croton-Harmon->Poughkipsee) and they get Poughkipsee->Albany cleared they can run trains to at least Croton-Harmon so people can connect to Metro-North to New York if the Empire Connection isn't ready yet.
  by MikeEspee

Maybe now that Amtrak is getting into NYC and resuming limited service DAYS earlier than projected, given the damage and severity of the storm we can rid the home page of this website of the "opinion paper" about Amtrak train operators being drug addicts.
  by Jeff Smith

Mike, I don't control that page, but I'll put in a note to the news moderator.
  by Station Aficionado

lirr42 wrote:Maybe when Metro-North clears/opens the upper Hudson Line (Croton-Harmon->Poughkipsee) and they get Poughkipsee->Albany cleared they can run trains to at least Croton-Harmon so people can connect to Metro-North to New York if the Empire Connection isn't ready yet.
In that case, I think Amtrak could just run the Empire Service to GCT (especially since that's where the passengers would end up if the transferred to MN). More to the point, is there any trustworthy information on whether there really are problems with the Empire Connection or the Spuyten Duyvil bridge? The only thing I've seen confirmation of is continuing problems on MN north of Croton.
  by DutchRailnut

Station Aficionado wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Maybe when Metro-North clears/opens the upper Hudson Line (Croton-Harmon->Poughkipsee) and they get Poughkipsee->Albany cleared they can run trains to at least Croton-Harmon so people can connect to Metro-North to New York if the Empire Connection isn't ready yet.
In that case, I think Amtrak could just run the Empire Service to GCT (especially since that's where the passengers would end up if the transferred to MN). More to the point, is there any trustworthy information on whether there really are problems with the Empire Connection or the Spuyten Duyvil bridge? The only thing I've seen confirmation of is continuing problems on MN north of Croton.
the problems are between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie, not on Empire connector.
  by Jeff Smith

Station Aficionado wrote:
Once upon a time, there was a connection from the B&A (?) at Chatham to the now Harlem Line of MNRR. It's too bad that's not available now.
  by Backshophoss

The Harlem had a Juction at Chatham with the B+A,most of which is now a rail trail.:(
When the repairs are done to the rest of MNR system,there needs to be some work done on the Maybrook line
and the Beacon Branch to allow Passenger train operations at "Limited speed"(30-40mph)
between Beacon and Dykemans as an alt. route to Poughkeepsie and for Amtrak to reach the New Haven Line
and NY Penn(via the Danbury branch) in an emergency.
(Before the ?'s, a short reverse move across the "230" track into the Loop tracks at Danbury,entire move is in yard limits.)
At least dig the track out of the mud and weeds!!
  by Jeff Smith

Right, the Upper "Upper" Harlem will never come back, and the Beacon is even in doubt due to rail trails. It would be a very roundabout way (east then north then southeast to Dykemans) but you could at least get to the Harlem line, and without any reverse moves at that! Danbury would be WAY out of the way, even though it would be possible. And you'd need an MNRR pilot and gennie to get into GCT. But there is precedent, in spite of the mandate for Amtrak to only use one station in NYC during work last year? And the LSL did the full roundabout, using the wye at MO and a run-around at Shell.

Still, to me, can you imagine an Amtrak stop at White Plains?

Sorry, we're way OT on this; just imagining potential detours for Amtrak.
  by Matt Johnson

NH2060 wrote:VIA Rail trains could be making a rare US appearance to free up additional Amtrak equipment for NJ commuters.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-1 ... ng-repairs
I wonder if it would be Heritage or LRC cars - always wanted to ride on the latter.
  by DutchRailnut

I for one would refuse to move occupied passenger equipment on beacon line, due to clearance issues created by MTA Legal nincompoops.
  by ThirdRail7

They are shooting for extremely limited NYP-ALB service for 11/3
  by Albany Rider

Albany is a crew base.
Albany is an engine base and major repair facility.
It has engines, coaches and crews.
There was NO storm damage between Albany and Buffalo.
The only problem is that Amtrak refuses to run service. Guess Boardman forgot where he came from.

Tony
  by DutchRailnut

Just because you have opinion, does not make you a authority about whats going on... just sayin..
  by ThirdRail7

Albany Rider wrote:Albany is a crew base.
Albany is an engine base and major repair facility.
It has engines, coaches and crews.
There was NO storm damage between Albany and Buffalo.
The only problem is that Amtrak refuses to run service. Guess Boardman forgot where he came from.

Tony

I can't speak about the crews(and I doubt you can), but most of the equipment seems to be stranded at outlying points. Additionally, Albany is not a designated repair facility for anything other than the P32s and the Heritage baggage cars.