• Hurricane Sandy

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jstolberg

Mr. Boardman was absolutely right to ask Congress for not only for the money already spent to fix the damage now, but also for funds to reasonably reduce the damage that can occur in the future. The $336 million Amtrak requested is small compared to $1.2 billion requested by New Jersey Transit and $5 billion requested by MTA.
James Weinstein, executive director of New Jersey Transit, provided the most detailed account yet of damage sustained by that system. The agency, he said, sustained an estimated $400 million in damage and would need $800 million more to make the system more resilient to future storms.

The damage included more than $100 million in damaged rail equipment, including rolling stock, and an additional $300 million to fix and replace tracks, wires, signaling, electrical substations and other equipment, Mr. Weinstein said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

Congress rarely turns out a "clean" emergency spending bill. They can choose whether to give Amtrak $60 million just to repair the damage, more, less, or nothing at all; but Boardman is right to ask.
  by Jeff Smith

The money is flowing: Progressive Railroading
esterday, the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) made available $2 billion in relief aid to transit agencies that sustained infrastructure damage by Hurricane Sandy last year.

The funds are available through the Federal Transit Administration's (FTA) new Emergency Relief Program that was created under MAP-21 to help protect, repair, reconstruct and replace public transit equipment and facilities that were damaged by the super storm, which struck the Northeast in late October. The funds are the first installment of $10.9 billion appropriated to the FTA through the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013, which President Barack Obama signed into law last month.

"The $2 billion we're making available now will reimburse transit agencies for extraordinary expenses incurred to protect workers and equipment before and after the hurricane hit, and support urgently needed repairs to seriously damaged transit systems and facilities in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and elsewhere," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. in a prepared statement.
  by Ken W2KB

Jeff Smith wrote:The money is flowing: Progressive Railroading
esterday, the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) made available $2 billion in relief aid to transit agencies that sustained infrastructure damage by Hurricane Sandy last year.

The funds are available through the Federal Transit Administration's (FTA) new Emergency Relief Program that was created under MAP-21 to help protect, repair, reconstruct and replace public transit equipment and facilities that were damaged by the super storm, which struck the Northeast in late October. The funds are the first installment of $10.9 billion appropriated to the FTA through the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013, which President Barack Obama signed into law last month.

"The $2 billion we're making available now will reimburse transit agencies for extraordinary expenses incurred to protect workers and equipment before and after the hurricane hit, and support urgently needed repairs to seriously damaged transit systems and facilities in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and elsewhere," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. in a prepared statement.
Where would that "elsewhere" be?
  by Dick H

While NY, NJ and Ct took the brunt of the storm,
MD, DE, PA, RI, MA, NH, and ME had some damage.
I expect those states will get some reimbursement
for Sandy.
  by Ken W2KB

Dick H wrote:While NY, NJ and Ct took the brunt of the storm,
MD, DE, PA, RI, MA, NH, and ME had some damage.
I expect those states will get some reimbursement
for Sandy.
Thanks
  by ThirdRail7

CP Mid in the North Tube is expected to be back on the beam by Monday.
  by lirr42

Pardon my asking, but what percisely is CP Mid? Is that an interlocking in the North River Tunnel? Thanks.
  by Backshophoss

A HOLD(STOP AND STAY) signal .
  by 25Hz

I don't think a lot of people outside amtrak realize how much work was really needed to get service back up and running let alone running normally. I really hope congress gives them the money needed to get everything back to 100% and add future storm protections such as flood doors.