• Has anyone seen the ITT-Tech commercial with the FEC trains?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Aa3rt

A couple of nights ago I caught part of an ITT-Tech commercial that had a FEC loco (I think) pulling a train of phosphate cars. I could make out the "Speedway" lettering on the side of the loco. However I didn't catch the part of the commercial about what the young man who was touting the virtues of ITT-Tech was saying. Did ITT-Tech enable him to get the railroad job or did he move up and out after attending ITT-Tech? Anyone?

by SRS125

it has something to do with the young man geting a degree that set him up with deisgning something haveing to do with satalite linkage between locomotives. I it dose not however explane if its GPS or something haveing to do with satalite radio linkage??

by The S.P. Caboose

I've seen the ITT tech spot. I'm not sure how GPS works. I thought that the dispatchers where able to keep track of the trains with the way their track console and track sensors where set up.

by SRS125

don't know maybe its has something to do with radio linkage via satailite in dark areas where normal radios are useless such as vary mountaionus areas?

GPS works with satailites to track and pin point people, places, or things on the ground, under water, or in the air.

by Ken W2KB

The locomotive may transmit its GPS coordinates via an automatic radio broadcast. Many amateur (ham) radio operators use what is called the "automatic position reporting system" ("APRS") to do that. Including me.

My home station, and usually my Chevy Tahoe have APRS and I take a walkie talkie and GPS with me when I fly a rented airplane or sometimes when operating my speeder.

See: http://map.findu.com/w2kb* for my stations

and www.aprs.org for APRS specific info.

by SRS125

That is vary neat looking Ken I have seen things close to that on anouther
public web page that shows the movement and last location of every single ship in the world. At the most part the info given there is mostley last port and next port info and a general idea of what kind of ship or boat it is weaght it being oil, general cargo, or bulk.