• Hackettstown service?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

How come not all trains go to Hackettstown, with some turning in Mt. Olive? is it lack of ridership? or time restraints?
thanks

by washingtonsecondary

Ridership isn't the highest on the system, so I guess they can't justify more trains to and from Hackettstown.

by PRSL

If NJT Rail would ask the community leadres in the area of what they though about passenger rail service the vast majority would like it. Considering the high price of fuel and the conjestion on the roadways rail is the best way to go. Instead of NJT Rail blowing money on study after study after study NJT Rail will have money to do much needed rail projects something might get done and traffic conjestion wont be as bad.

by njt4172

I wouldn't mind it NJT had more service from Hackettstown and less from Mount Olive... Everytime I take the train is seems like 20+ people get on at Hackettstown and zero at Mount Olive... It probably has to do with crew and equipment manipulation... Hackettstown is in no mans land so it musht be harder to get the stuff to Port Morris in time!

Steve

by njtmnrrbuff

Mt Olive and Hackettstown are in the sticks. However, the surrounding areas have many people moving to them. I don't quite understand why most WORMERS have to end at Mt Olive, rather than Hackettstown. If the service were better, more people would use it. Obviously, the big yard is Pt. Morris. If they could build a little yard beyond the station at Hackettstown, it would be good.

by washingtonsecondary

PRSL wrote:If NJT Rail would ask the community leadres in the area of what they though about passenger rail service...... Instead of NJT Rail blowing money on study after study after study NJT....
Isn't what your proposing just another study?

by washingtonsecondary

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Mt Olive and Hackettstown are in the sticks. However, the surrounding areas have many people moving to them. I don't quite understand why most WORMERS have to end at Mt Olive, rather than Hackettstown. If the service were better, more people would use it. Obviously, the big yard is Pt. Morris. If they could build a little yard beyond the station at Hackettstown, it would be good.
The question is, where to build the yard? There is a fairly long siding just west of the station, and I think 1 more track connected to it thats buried in the weeds, but thats about it. The property line is about 1.5 miles west of the station.

by northjerseybuff

Why not use the yard in washington nj?

by NJTRailfan

If the rail service was extended to Washington you will see more people use the line. Washington Station(or the site where the station used to be anyways) isn't exactly in the sticks. Plus theres plenty of room for parking, plus I heard the area around it is pretty built up. Theres still a room for a sizable parking lot.

by washingtonsecondary

northjerseybuff wrote:Why not use the yard in washington nj?
At this moment there are a few problems with this. One, Transit doesn't own the tracks. Two, there aren't that many tracks in the yard, what is left always has freight stored there. Third, what tracks are left in the yard are in need of repair.
NJTRailfan wrote:If the rail service was extended to Washington you will see more people use the line. Washington Station(or the site where the station used to be anyways) isn't exactly in the sticks. Plus theres plenty of room for parking, plus I heard the area around it is pretty built up. Theres still a room for a sizable parking lot.
I don't know what your definition of the "sticks" is... Either way, all that land is owned by NS. I don't think they'll allow anything built there. Even if you wanted to rebuild on the old station site, the cement block that the station stood on would need to be replaced, its badly cracked and out of square.

by Ken W2KB

washingtonsecondary wrote:Either way, all that land is owned by NS. I don't think they'll allow anything built there. .
NS will be more than happy to entertain offers for the purchase or lease of the property, I'm sure.

by njt4172

Ken W2KB wrote:
washingtonsecondary wrote:Either way, all that land is owned by NS. I don't think they'll allow anything built there. .
NS will be more than happy to entertain offers for the purchase or lease of the property, I'm sure.
Well, not if it involves passenger commuter trains interfering with their freight operation... With NS gaining new C&D customers along the line and the potential for unit trains or new customers within the next 3-5 years I highly doubt NJT will be allowed to store passenger equipment in the yard..! Not only that, but there already 3-4 customers in Washington proper with one of them serviced 5 days a week...

Steve

by Ken W2KB

njt4172 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
Well, not if it involves passenger commuter trains interfering with their freight operation... With NS gaining new C&D customers along the line and the potential for unit trains or new customers within the next 3-5 years I highly doubt NJT will be allowed to store passenger equipment in the yard..! Not only that, but there already 3-4 customers in Washington proper with one of them serviced 5 days a week...

Steve
It looked to me when I have seen the yard area from the air that there is space to add several tracks in the yard, sufficient to accomodate both passenger and freight. NJT would have to pay for the trackage rights, and even if there are several freigts a day, the added revenue to NS could more than offset any possilbe scheduling difficulties. There is also the potential for NJT to acquire some land elsewhere alongside the line for a new yard. Hopefully both the new freight customers and extended passenger service will come to fruition.
  by henry6

If you consider what was yard to the DL&W and what is yard today, there is more than enough room for whatever NJT and NS have to do in Washington from the highway bridge near Port Murray to the juncition to the west on the old road and the west on the P'brg line plus the Changewater branch ROW! And you'd probably still have room for a parking lot or ball field!

by benltrain

Hackettstown is just too far for them I guess. If they run service to Phillipsburg via the ME/MB, then Hackettstown will get more service.