• Free Rides

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Or report him to authorities right away.

by danib62

I feel that the authorities would just laugh at you if you reported a fare jumper. Next time it's a sunday I'm gonna try and see if I can get two people through on one swipe of the card that way I won't get in trouble if I'm caught because guests are free on sunday.

by NealG

danib62 wrote:I feel that the authorities would just laugh at you if you reported a fare jumper. Next time it's a sunday I'm gonna try and see if I can get two people through on one swipe of the card that way I won't get in trouble if I'm caught because guests are free on sunday.
It won't work that way. The system is designed to allow two swipes (one per person) of the card to allow a free guest on Sunday. You put your pass in, go through the gate and hand the pass back to your guest who puts it in and goes through the gate.

by sabourinj

NealG wrote: It won't work that way. The system is designed to allow two swipes (one per person) of the card to allow a free guest on Sunday. You put your pass in, go through the gate and hand the pass back to your guest who puts it in and goes through the gate.
You can also put the pass through twice and then both walk through and the alarm won't go off. The gates keep track of how many payments have been credited and then allows that many people through.

You of course can both go through, but the alarm goes off and usually shuts the door between you unless you walk really close together, then you usually get hit as it tries to close.

JS

by danib62

I know it allows two swipes but I want to test if I can get reasonably get two people through when you shouldn't be able to.

Can I also suggest a new practice that would be great if people started doing it on the T. How about we all start gifting our free rides? If you're alone on a sunday and have a pass and notice someone else who is paying why not offer to let them in for free? I think it would brighten most people's days.

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:I know it allows two swipes but I want to test if I can get reasonably get two people through when you shouldn't be able to.

Can I also suggest a new practice that would be great if people started doing it on the T. How about we all start gifting our free rides? If you're alone on a sunday and have a pass and notice someone else who is paying why not offer to let them in for free? I think it would brighten most people's days.
It's funny you mention that, I was just thinking about that the other day. People tend not to talk to strangers I guess. However now that you won't need to show your pass to get two people through, maybe more people will do something like this?

JS

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, if you have a CharlieTicket with the increment farecard, not the monthly pass, then you can actually give away a free ride or exit to/from the system, which just deducts the fare from the Charlie Ticket that's like the NYCTA Metrocard.

by sabourinj

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, if you have a CharlieTicket with the increment farecard, not the monthly pass, then you can actually give away a free ride or exit to/from the system, which just deducts the fare from the Charlie Ticket that's like the NYCTA Metrocard.
What? If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're saying give away a free ride with a stored value ticket. Who would do this? People were referring to the pass since it won't cost you anything for a second person on sundays, or on exit.

JS

by helium

Spekaing of sharing the new stored valuse cards, can you pass them to as many people as you want to?
Say if my wife and in-laws went out one night, and I happen to have a pass.
Can we just use that instead of buying several individual tickets?

by sabourinj

helium wrote:Spekaing of sharing the new stored valuse cards, can you pass them to as many people as you want to?
Say if my wife and in-laws went out one night, and I happen to have a pass.
Can we just use that instead of buying several individual tickets?
With the stored value tickets, Yes. If you have a weekly/monthly/vistor pass that is only good for 1 person, except on Sundays when it will scan through twice (free guest policy).

I'm not possitive if there is a limit on the stored value tickets (if there is I want to say 4 people? but I may be confusing that with Washington or NYC). You can either pass the ticket back, or have the first person put it through multiple times and then all walk through. The gates keep track of the number of people who have paid, even if you pay 3 times in a row and then all 3 people walk through.

JS

by Robert Paniagua

With the stored value tickets, Yes. If you have a weekly/monthly/vistor pass that is only good for 1 person, except on Sundays when it will scan through twice (free guest policy).

Yeah, that's what I meant in my last post, JS. Sorry if you misread it :-)

Increment farecard=Stored Value, which I would share if anyone needed to get out at, say Quincy Adams or Braintree.

by CS

Due to the controversy of this topic, it is being closed, per order Railroad.net administrators.