• First Day for the Route 15

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SEPTALRV9072

jfrey40535 wrote:
Service was also on or close to schedule and the "three cars then
nothing for for 45 mins" that was experienced on Sunday wasn't
expercienced today.
Definitely. The only holdups that were going on today were wheelchairs. Kind of funny how when the line was bus there were no wheelchairs, now they're out in force. I don't agree with them either. Definitely not fair to make 30 people late for one person, but I think this all stems from Paratransit being run so poorly.

There will always be 2 "protect" buses on call just in case something goes wrong, but it should be nowhere as bad as Sunday. I noticed alot of people on the western side of Broad Street were enthused about it as well, which is a good sign. It would be nice to think that this could start a trolley movement here, but its gotta come from the city for it to happen.

At the very least, I think we should write Street & Rendell and thank them for their efforts in getting this line running.
I think we thank SEPTA for overadvertising the ADA compliancy of the line for the droves of wheelchairs that are coming out to ride the line.

by pennengineer

I'm reading all this Rt. 15 startup news from my hotel room in Miami. Jeez--such animosity for the disabled. Did you ever consider the possibility that someone in a wheelchair would enjoy riding a PCC as much as you? It's not their fault that SEPTA devised a method of accomodating them that takes 17 minutes to board. Try riding the LRT (MAX or the Streetcar) in Portland--a wheelchair can get on or off a low floor LRV faster than an able-bodied person can board a high-floor LRV.

Maybe we should make little two-axle trailers that are platform height that the PCC-IIs can tow around?

At any rate, I'm glad to know that the line is running and relieved to hear that the service is improving by the day--so far. I look forward to riding it when I get back into town this weekend.

by the sarge

Another Route 15 meltdown

Does anybody know what happened this Wednesday morning at 700 AM? When I drove by the stop at Lehigh, I noticed more people then usual standing around. I stopped and asked how long were they waiting; one person said over a half hour. Then I noticed droves of school kids walking south on Richmond street towards Cumberland to catch either the 39 or 43. Then a SEPTA wire truck showed up, drove under the bridge, and pulled off at Lehigh. I did not see any apparent damage to the bridge, but did an a$$hole truck hit the bridge again? I did notice at 430PM Tuesday, a trolley was looped at Cumberland, and a bus provided the rest of the service. If not, I wonder if they are looking to see if they can improve the speed under the bridge.

For the past three days, whenever the 15 hiccupped, it appears majority of the people in my neighborhood seem to be the ones affected. Most regular riders I talk to say they will put up with the line until the end of the week, if service is still the way it is, they will find another way to commute. All mentioned that even though the 15 provided bad service as a bus, it has been intolerable since conversion and even walking or waiting for another bus line would be better. One lady told me that when she heard the trolleys were back, she timed how long she had to wait. For the past two days (She had to work Labor day), the total wait time spent at a stop was 5 ½ hours. This does not count the delay this morning.

I will stick to my guns and hope SEPTA can iron out most of the wrinkles within the month. I understand the factors involved with returning a trolley to a line after 13 years, but 99% of the regular 15 riders do not and quite honestly, don’t care -just want to get to work on time and home by dark.
Last edited by the sarge on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by kevikens

I am not a big fan of the Disabilities Act but I frequently go to San Francisco where there are a number of disabled who use the F ( PCC's) and other lines and I am impressed by how rapidly they can board the vehicles. Maybe it's just everybody is used to the practice. If there are disabled who are riding the line for the pleasure of a trolley ride, and I can understand why they would, perhaps they could decide to do this on the off peak hours so that they do not delay the commuters on their way to work who need to time sensitive to their transportation.

by Wdobner

the sarge wrote: but 99% of the regular 15 riders do not and quite honestly, don?t care -just want to get to work on time and home by dark.
They may not care what comes but surely they care how much it costs to get on that vehicle when it comes. As of 2003 SEPTA's buses cost 81 cents per passenger mile with costs per unlinked passenger trip costing $2.20. In the same year SEPTA's LRV operations cost them 71 cents per passenger mile and 1.76 per unlinked passenger trip. By making as many heavily used bus routes into LRVs, especially very local routes like the crosstown routes and north-south routes well away from the BSS or MFL into LRV routes SEPTA can potentially realize a lower operating expenditure. Whether that savings will be passed on to us riders is another matter, but certainly it could help them with their funding woes and perhaps offset the next fare hike.

http://www.ntdprogram.com/NTD/Profiles. ... e/3019.pdf
kevikens wrote:...perhaps they could decide to do this on the off peak hours so that they do not delay the commuters on their way to work who need to time sensitive to their transportation.
Should railfans abide by the same requirement? Have you ever railfanned a crowded subway or trolley train and either taken up a seat or floor space which otherwise could be occupied by a commuter who 'needed' to be somewhere? Why should people whose only crime is being restricted to a wheelchair be penalized for SEPTA's incompetency in equipment selection and operator training? The PCC II's wheelchair lifts were a bad idea from the beginning. The cars are of course a thing of beauty, but the lifts mean they're terribly suited to operation on the Rt15 or any other SEPTA trolley or bus routes. Rather than griping about the need for wheelchair-bound passengers to move about without having to schedule a CCT trip, why not instead call for SEPTA to realize it's mistake and fix the one thing wrong with the 15? Now that the 15 is back it's clear that street running LRVs do not have all the drawbacks they've been painted to have in the past and there's little excuse for not pursuing the Rt23 and 56's reintroduction to trolleys. For something so extensive no PCC will suffice as not only do we not have the spare bodies, but as the Rt15 PCC IIs prove, the PCC design is just no longer acceptable for transit usage. We need a large fleet of low floor articulated LRVs, an LRV depot for the 23, 56 and possibly the 15, and we need the tracks and overhead rehabilitated in places. All of this likely could be accomplished for somewhere around a billion dollars. Considering how much western and southern systems are getting for light rail systems of much shorter length, getting the 23 and 56 up and operating, getting new vehicles for the 15, 23 and 56, and getting a new LRV yard is quite a bargain for a billion dollars. Lets drop this SVM crap, stop the ridiculous '52nd St Connector' project and go get 600 million dollars from the FTA to reduce SEPTA's operating expenses.

by Matthew Mitchell

Wdobner wrote:As of 2003 SEPTA's buses cost 81 cents per passenger mile with costs per unlinked passenger trip costing $2.20. In the same year SEPTA's LRV operations cost them 71 cents per passenger mile and 1.76 per unlinked passenger trip.
Problem is that's not an apples/apples comparison. The statistics you cite are heavily dependent on passenger load. Any route that picks up a lot of passengers, like short feeder routes, is going to look good by this standard, regardless of mode. Plus this kind of data is dependent on some rather arbitrary accounting decisions.

by kevikens

Please do me the courtesy to read what I actually wrote. I made no such reference to a "requirement" that the diasabled ride only off peak but asked that if they were riding recreactionally that they think of doing it off peak and, by the way, I do NOT railfan during rush hour but mosly on weekends and if on the rare weekday I ride as a railfan it is mid day only.

by R3 Rider

Are disabled people seriously riding the 15 just because trolleys are "neat"? Somehow I find this hard to believe.

by the sarge

R3 Rider wrote:Are disabled people seriously riding the 15 just because trolleys are "neat"? Somehow I find this hard to believe.
Honestly, I do not now yet. I do know that I’ve seen more wheelchairs lately, if this is just a coincidence, not sure.

On the part of the 15 that I frequently travel, I do know of a frequent wheelchair rider that gets on at my stop. On the bus, I remember a few times the lift was not working right or the driver did not know how to operate it correctly and winged it. When this happened, we were passed by the next 15 bus, so the delays were not as catastrophic for the line. This week on the Port Richmond part of the line, I noticed during the evening rush hours, that the trolleys were traveling in pairs…..