• export models in the usa

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by dash7

Hi,i was wondering if anyone knew which railroads operated the g12 and g16 types domesticaly or any other emd exports,as i had a look on larry russels emd export page and saw that CN used g12's and N de M used the g16 and g8 but i was wondering if any other railroad industrial or shortline used them as well?,thanks ,derek :-D
  by tomjohn

dash7 wrote:Hi,i was wondering if anyone knew which railroads operated the g12 and g16 types domesticaly or any other emd exports,as i had a look on larry russels emd export page and saw that CN used g12's and N de M used the g16 and g8 but i was wondering if any other railroad industrial or shortline used them as well?,thanks ,derek :-D

I too am curious to know this as well ?

Tom
  by Jtgshu

Didn't Utah Railways SD50s come from Austrailia????
  by dash7

Jtgshu wrote:Didn't Utah Railways SD50s come from Austrailia????
The 5 sd50s loco's were built by clyde engineering/emd with kits supplied by emd and modified for the extreme 110deg heat in the pilbara region in north western australia and are built on a shorter frame (sd40-2) and slightly lower in overall height (to clear the ore dumpers which were used in the orville dam construction) and apart from that they are basicly "off the shelf" models which are catlogued as an emd domestic model,i was think more in line with the g12,g16 etc, but thanks for the reply.
  by Triplex

I remember a Cargill G8...
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel103.html
I didn't remember the Hampton & Branchville U6B, though I know a California shortline had one of those small U-series switchers along with some 70-tonners.
  by dash7

Sorry about the delay in my reply and thanks for that link TRIPLEX.
  by SSW9389

CN had some G8s riding on A1A-A1A trucks built by GMD.
  by dash7

Were these trucks similar to the Dofasco's under some GMD1 switchers?
  by Allen Hazen

According to the old "Diesel Spotter's Guide," CN had 11 G8, in two batches. 850-854 were built for standard gauge in 1954; a photo of the 850 shows it with a "non-clearance" cab (vertical cab walls meeting a falt angled roof above the side windows) and two-axle Flexicoil trucks. 800-805 (including the one pictured at the link) were built in 1956 for the Newfoundland 3'6" gauge line.
--
CN also had two G12, built originally for the London & Port Stanley (former interurban), taken over when CN merged the railway in 1966.

I'd be curious about where CN used its 1954-built standard gauge G8: the system had a lot of lines with light rail.
  by dash7

Hi Allen,
Just on another note In the "Second diesel spotters guide" in the "EMD Industrial Locomotives"(EMD-129) section there is a glimpse of a Zew Zealand DA class G12 A1A-A1A road number #1469 coupled to GMDH-1 demonstrator #1001 outside the GMD London,CA Factory ready for export around 1960 similar to this Image
  by dash7

Allen Hazen wrote:According to the old "Diesel Spotter's Guide," CN had 11 G8, in two batches. 850-854 were built for standard gauge in 1954; a photo of the 850 shows it with a "non-clearance" cab (vertical cab walls meeting a falt angled roof above the side windows) and two-axle Flexicoil trucks. 800-805 (including the one pictured at the link) were built in 1956 for the Newfoundland 3'6" gauge line.
--
CN also had two G12, built originally for the London & Port Stanley (former interurban), taken over when CN merged the railway in 1966.

I'd be curious about where CN used its 1954-built standard gauge G8: the system had a lot of lines with light rail.
According to the Wiki the G8's were bogie (truck) swapped between 1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge and the 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge of the former Newfoundland Railway (Terra Transport) at Port aux Basques.
  by Triplex

i can't believe that unit still running!
That's one of the Newfoundland units, and it hasn't run in over 20 years.