• export models in the usa

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by dash7

Triplex wrote:
i can't believe that unit still running!
That's one of the Newfoundland units, and it hasn't run in over 20 years.
So i gather its for static display?, oh well,still looks good. :-D
  by sd80mac

dash7 wrote:Hi,i was wondering if anyone knew which railroads operated the g12 and g16 types domesticaly or any other emd exports,as i had a look on larry russels emd export page and saw that CN used g12's and N de M used the g16 and g8 but i was wondering if any other railroad industrial or shortline used them as well?,thanks ,derek :-D
I assume that G"x" models were made in canada... so why were they being on "export page" of larry's if CN are running them in Canada?

When i read the title, I was thinking of powers coming from outside of North America. The title sure confused me especially all comments above are talking about G"x" models which I assume were made in Canada (correct me if I thought wrong)

Anyway, It would be safe to say that these latest EMD powers are "export models" on USA soil, right? Even through, I dont consider them exported locomotives to USA. they look too "american" to me. :-D
thanks

ken
  by Triplex

so why were they being on "export page" of larry's if CN are running them in Canada?
They're models designed for export. That is, North American manufacturers have "domestic" and "export" product lines. US, Canada and Mexico all order "domestic" models, with a few exceptions which are the subject of this thread. There are far more cases of non-North American railroads using "domestic" models. "Export" is generally shorthand for "lower axle load and smaller clearances".
  by sd80mac

Triplex wrote:
so why were they being on "export page" of larry's if CN are running them in Canada?
They're models designed for export. That is, North American manufacturers have "domestic" and "export" product lines. US, Canada and Mexico all order "domestic" models, with a few exceptions which are the subject of this thread. There are far more cases of non-North American railroads using "domestic" models. "Export" is generally shorthand for "lower axle load and smaller clearances".

I get it now. thanks for clarify the title.