• Engineers forgetting to turn on headlights... common?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by emd_SD_60

Is it sometimes common (hopefully not) for the engineer to forget to turn the headlights (or ditchlights also) after waiting for an opposing train to pass? So far I have seen this only on the IC, the recent being about 20 minutes ago. This train had an ex-LMS 8W (2455) leading the IC 1024 (SD70). I was standing there videotaping it, right as the lead loco blew by, I started pointing at the top of the loco, signalling him that his lights were off! His ditchlighs were on though (but they were the ones that blink side to side, so they probably went off afterwards). Hopefully my gesture worked and he noticed soon after. :-)

Anybody who lives along the IC Centralia Sub (or the main to Chi-town), keep me posted! :-D
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Aji-tater

On many (but not necessarily all) railroads, the signal for headlights is to point two fingers toward your eyes - kinda like a Three Stooges' gesture but toward your own eyes.

"Vote OTTO for sheriff, he'll lock 'em ALL up!"

by UPRR engineer

Yes its common to forget, i dont really know if its a good idea to try to give any signals to a train crew while out foaming. I got a little irritated just reading what you wrote. Just go out and enjoy the show, and give a freindly wave.

by jg greenwood

Aji-tater wrote:On many (but not necessarily all) railroads, the signal for headlights is to point two fingers toward your eyes - kinda like a Three Stooges' gesture but toward your own eyes.

"Vote OTTO for sheriff, he'll lock 'em ALL up!"
By all means give me a signal if I've forgotten to turn my headlights on. Better that than killing someone at the next road-crossing and facing manslaughter charges account of no headlights burning!

by emd_SD_60

I have thought of something else, this came up last night, maybe if I bought a posterboard and wrote in huge black letters "Your Headlights Are Off!" and for instances where they forget to turn on the ditch lights, on the other side write "Your Ditchlights are off!" would it work? If they see that and look down and see the headlight switch in "off" they'll notice, at least it'd be better than hand gestures...and :wink: Just an honest guess.
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:I have thought of something else, this came up last night, maybe if I bought a posterboard and wrote in huge black letters "Your Headlights Are Off!" and for instances where they forget to turn on the ditch lights, on the other side write "Your Ditchlights are off!" would it work? At least it'd be better than hand gestures...and they'd actually know what i'm referring to. :wink: Just an honest guess.
Sounds like a winner!

by emd_SD_60

Strangely this has only occured only on trains with a ex-LMS 8W leading, the first instance being the ditchlights off. That unit was the 2460 I believe. He was continuing north after letting a southbound go through, and finally the Amtrak #392. the headlights were on, but like I said, his DL's were off. IIRC, I did not do anything here, just hoped he noticed later on.

by ACLfan

over the years, I've noticed turned-off headlights probably on the frequency of twice a year, out of hundreds of times that I have seen trains on an annual basis. In other words, very rarely.

But, I did see it one time at night -- only the blinking ditch lights were on at 11 pm! No headlight!

I can't remember seeing ditch lights not working. This is probably due to the fact that most of them are automatically turned on to the alternate flashing mode by the horn blowing.

ACLfan

by UPRR engineer

emd_SD_60 wrote:I have thought of something else, this came up last night, maybe if I bought a posterboard and wrote in huge black letters "Your Headlights Are Off!"
jg wrote:By all means give me a signal if I've forgotten to turn my headlights on.
Your kidding me right?

by crazy_nip

UPRR engineer wrote:Your kidding me right?
maybe you could carry a posterboard that says "get back to work, you hippie foamer"

by emd_SD_60

UPRR engineer wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:I have thought of something else, this came up last night, maybe if I bought a posterboard and wrote in huge black letters "Your Headlights Are Off!"
jg wrote:By all means give me a signal if I've forgotten to turn my headlights on.
Your kidding me right?
No, we're not kidding... :P About the poster idea, I have seriously considered that idea, just keep the thing rolled up in my truck, have it on hand whenever I am out railfanning and use it if necessary (hopefully very rare). Think I should also make one to warn them they got a headlight/ditchlight out? Nah, that's fairly minor, don't wanna be a worry wart. :wink: Speaking of burned out ditchlights, saw one a few months back, the right side one on a UP C41-8W was out.

by emd_SD_60

crazy_nip wrote:maybe you could carry a posterboard that says "get back to work, you hippie foamer"
Nah, how about one that says "yuppie foamer" in place of hippie, as I understand "yuppie" better as I was born smack-dab in the yuppie years (1985). :-)

by UPRR engineer

Humm...... dont get pissed off here. The idea of you thinking your helping out an engineer is kinda cheezy as well as being irritating. Railfans already have a kinda bad rep as it is no? I guess as long as you dont try to take any of your other ideas to the next level, you might be alright. What im trying to say is that the railroad doesnt need your help, if you try to do some other stuff one day, you might get in trouble, hurt, or even killed.

by shortlinerailroader

The conductor is supposed to notice. The rules state that the conductor gives a passing train a roll-by from the opposite side of the track his train is on. He is also to be where he can see the front of his own train (I don't have my GCOR with me).

I know there are some circumstances that prevent this. (clearences, weather, a conductor who chooses not to exit that nice cool cab). Maybe this happened on SD60's rail fan trip.

by UPRR engineer

Dont turn your hobbie into some make believe job. We get some contract drivers (Rat-son-burger) that start to think there part of the crew, just drive and do as your told, thats it. So my advice to you is the same, just watch and take pictures, most of us dont need or want any help.

If you really want to help, go round up some crazy college chicks to show us there headlights. :wink: