• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

they may have had to find a solution on how to put the tracks in without disturbing the power poles there. The poles have markings on their guy wires so I guess those are coming off.
  by pumpers

CJPat wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:45 pm I don't think I recall the bridge in the middle of downtown Hightstown...
That one I do remember. A long one rIght in front of the fire department on an angle. And another smaller one just before it over Stockton St. They went out maybe 40 years ago, long before the highway bypass was built. Not sure how long before that actual train service stopped on that section.
At one point there was a little park just south of the Stockton St. crossing, with some of the original stone sleepers from 1830 or whenever it was. Don't know if it is still here.
JS
  by GSC

pumpers wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:37 pm
CJPat wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:45 pm I don't think I recall the bridge in the middle of downtown Hightstown...
That one I do remember. A long one rIght in front of the fire department on an angle. And another smaller one just before it over Stockton St. They went out maybe 40 years ago, long before the highway bypass was built. Not sure how long before that actual train service stopped on that section.
At one point there was a little park just south of the Stockton St. crossing, with some of the original stone sleepers from 1830 or whenever it was. Don't know if it is still here.
JS
Before all the highway improvements, Route 33 west came to a stop sign at a T intersection. A left turn was required to continue on Rt 33. The bridge was right ahead, a big looming black steel truss bridge over everything. Impressive. Someone must have a picture of it.
  by JohnFromJersey

I'm curious why 752 was switched out and left on the stub, instead of having 752 and 2005 and the caboose both go back up to Red Bank

I also wonder if we will see 1888 traverse the Southern sooner or later..
  by Bracdude181

The light pole that got knocked down at Squankum Road appears to have been temporarily replaced by a pole from somewhere else. It’s much taller than the old one has larger lights.

A new relay case was installed recently at this crossing so it won’t be long before the new lights go in.
  by Forest3670

JohnFromJersey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:43 pm I'm curious why 752 was switched out and left on the stub, instead of having 752 and 2005 and the caboose both go back up to Red Bank

I also wonder if we will see 1888 traverse the Southern sooner or later..
"2005 had a shower and shave on Friday. I think they left 752 there for the same, shower and shave! Nice and clean for the party"
  by Bracdude181

Not sure. Schedule might have changed since they’ll have to bring Freeholds inbounds in via the Southern for a while.
  by Bracdude181

Just got word 1888 and 752 are in Farmingdale being moved around. Not sure exactly what they are doing.