• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

RailKevin wrote:
scottychaos wrote:
http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... 404373.jpg

(what are the red lines on that map?)
Scot, It appears the red lines on the map indicate RR crossings.

EDIT: Shoot, I just looked at the legend at the bottom. I didn't see it before and was guessing. :)
ah! ok, thanks..that makes sense!
Scot
  by scharnhorst

RailKevin wrote:
scottychaos wrote:
http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... 404373.jpg

(what are the red lines on that map?)
Scot, It appears the red lines on the map indicate RR crossings.

EDIT: Shoot, I just looked at the legend at the bottom. I didn't see it before and was guessing. :)
red lines are RR Crossings I double checked using an old Conrail Maintaince program book.
  by roadster

If I remember correctly, BLUE, designates HBD and DED's. However CSX has removed the DED only detectors so only the dual purpose HBD-DED's are still in service.
  by scottychaos

March 18, 2012.
Two signal bridges at Attridge Road, Riga, NY.
(where the West Shore intersects the Main line, west of Rochester)
Signal bridges are CP 382 EAS and CP 382 WAS

Photos from Attridge Road.
Looking West at CP 382 EAS (Eastbound signals)

Photos from Attridge road.
Looking East at CP 382 WAS (Westbound signals)

Scot
  by scottychaos

Thansk guys!
the sunset was just a lucky fluke!
in fact, as I was driving over to Attridge road Sunday evening I was a bit bummed about the lighting situation..
just a thick cloud bank in the west, with the sun already behind the clouds..
I figured the sun would go down without being seen..
but I kept going anyway just because I want to "get going" on documenting the signal bridges..
for a documentary project, perfect lighting is lower on the priority scale..
(I *want* good lighting obviously, but in some cases it will probably come down to "take what I can get")..

Just as I pulled up to the Attridge crossing, the sun appeard from the bottom of the cloud bank! bonus! :)
all those photos were taken in a span of about 15 minutes..
No trains came by while I was there though..

Scot
  by roadster

Nice dramatic shots, Scott. Perfect timing. But, Let me tell ya, from the seat, that view kinda sucks tho. Like driving into the sun and trying to see the next traffic light.
Regarding the "pitchfork" type signal mast. There is another example at Solvay, East of the Brdige street overpass facing East. Has the W.A.S. lights for CP 293.

Still lookin for someone to shoot that NYC cantilever mast W.A.S. CP 434 along Broadway in Buffalo.
  by TOMT7X

Again, nice photos Scot.. Thank you!!! One of em looks very nice that I like to keep for my desktop screensaver.. Ill send you a private message.. Thank you everyopne for signal information... Please keep them coming.. CSX forces and contractors are tackling across NY State on signal replacement like jumping beans..

There is one poster that posted regarding to one signal thats from "Weedsport", thats incorrect. SD80MAC is correct that it still is Lyons, the photos are the same where the pitchfork signal mast is.. The Weedsport bridge has a different design, yes it looks like it, but no.. it has small steel see thru curve-arched beams with a metal plate that covers the beam with a concrete divider on the sides.

Photos of new signals are always welcome.. even the old ones like Scot snapped, they are most welcome..

Thanks
Dave
  by scottychaos

What is the "pitchfork" mast a few people have mentioned?
im not sure what that is..
HexOmega2319 wrote:Did you all see my post about Golden Rd?

Corey
Corey,
yes, I saw the photos you posted..very cool! :)
Those were shared here a few years ago..
I wonder when and why that one at Golden road was removed?
perhaps when 4 tracks was reduced to 2 tracks?

Scot
  by TOMT7X

A pitchfork signal is the one thats up in Lyons.. Scroll the pic up that I posted... It looks like a pitchfork, but one pole on the right was removed. You will know what I meant.. as CR MOW boys called them pitchforks.. There is another one between NY-PA state line in Dunkirk by the station. Take a trip to Lyons right behind the feed mill SD80MAC mentioned.. its there...

Dave
  by sd80mac

TOMT7X wrote:A pitchfork signal is the one thats up in Lyons.. Scroll the pic up that I posted... It looks like a pitchfork, but one pole on the right was removed. You will know what I meant.. as CR MOW boys called them pitchforks.. There is another one between NY-PA state line in Dunkirk by the station. Take a trip to Lyons right behind the feed mill SD80MAC mentioned.. its there...

Dave

that's at south of westfield, ny. (between NY/PA and dunkirk)