• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by FarmallBob

roadster wrote:I believe that it's because of the reverse curve. The present set up gives us a longer better look at the signals ( both directions) particularly going East Bound, ya don't wanna miss an approach signal here and charge into a Stop Signal...
Roadster - That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight!

....FB
  by shlustig

The signal arrangement at Fonda and Canastota was / is because of the curves and the need to give adequate vision on the signals. No interlocking at either location.

When the railroad applied to increase the maximum speed beyond the 79mph limit without cab signalling, these were 2 of the locations that would have been changed to afford better sight time on the signals. Unfortunately, the FRA said NFW to the proposal.
  by TOMT7X

Thank you everyone for good NYC signal information.. This is a big help here.. I will try to get into that spot where this member upload his photo on this forum, maybe I can catch a westbound or eastbound or two on that spot in the fall when the foilage season comes.

Let me know if you see any new signals has been set up and bagged. I would like to keep track of em.

Thanks everyone..

Dave
  by TOMT7X

Roadster,

Speaking of auto 182 in Tribes Hill, Is that the "dual" signal bridge the same ones like Fonda and the photo above? Since I was looking into Google Maps, it shows an dual signal bridge as I wanted to look at it myself, but, there is no way you can get into 182 from public roads.

So, is there a dual one at 182?

Thanks
Dave
  by scottychaos

First photos!
Im sure wont take this many photos of *every* signal bridge! ;)
(other ones I will probably only do a few shots..3 or 4)
but this one is special (to me) because it is my "home" signal bridge..
I live about a mile from it, and pass it at least twice a day..
Im planning to try to document each signal bridge between Batavia and Lyons.
(or as many as I can)
and I will eventually put the photos (and videos) on a webpage, in order from east to west.

CSX Rochester Subdivision - MP378.60
Historic New York Central Railroad signal bridge, on the CSX Rochester Sub.
MP 378.60
February 15, 2012
Westside Drive, Chili, NY
These signal bridges are scheduled to be removed and replaced with new signals in 2012.

Scot
  by roadster

In reference to the Tribes Hill autos at MP 182. They are actually reversed from the MP 272 set. The Western bridge holds the E Bd signals and is designated Auto 182. The eastern bridge is about 1500 ft East and holds the West bound auto/distant signal designated as Auto 181. The 182 MP is in between the bridges. The new signal foundation is nearly halfway in between the old signal bridges, right near the 182 MP marker.
Nice shots the Scott. Looks like you have enough there to illustrate a book about 378 alone. lol Keep up the good work.
  by ctclark1

I haven't been through there in a while, so hopefully they haven't pulled it already, but there's another one like the one you took in Chili right niext to Colby Road between Batavia and Corfu, might be a nice easy example to get to for pictures.

http://binged.it/wagXB8
  by roadster

That's auto 413. I don't believe they are any where near there yet. Mostly East of Rochester.
  by conrail313

CSX signal crews have been out and about around the Darien/Corfu area. Looks like our beloved signals have even less time left than we thought. :'(
  by TOMT7X

Scott, Very nice photos.. Thank you for posting!!

I just recently got another e mail from one of the railfans on the Hudson Valley area, they stated with the rare warm weather coming around now, the signals at CP188, CP196 has new Safetrans up and bagged, waiting for service.. The one at CP207 is being worked on with trench digging.. There is a new bungalow up at Little Falls right now with pallets of new signals getting ready to be set up at any time.. Gosh... they are really moving!!!!

Keep on sending signal bridge sight reports.. Thank you everyone!!

Dave
  by TOMT7X

This is at Weedsport, NY last year...bagged and waiting..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by roadster

That photo is of the Westbound absolute of CP 313 at Centerport. Not rushing anyone here. But I suggest getting photos of CP 434 Westbound absolutes in Buffalo, next to Broadway, East Harlem Rd overpass. One of only 2 Classic NYC style cantilever signal towers I know of on the Division, East of Buffalo, and the only one accessible to public.I don't know of any work happening there yet. But why wait till there's obstruction from construction materials.