• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by freightguy

Noticed some LI hoppers in the end.

Do you mean gondolas for railroad ties. They usually go out via CSX/NS.
  by csx8851

It could be for railroad ties, but I distinctly remembered them having the LI signs.
  by Train2009

A late Q431 was seen this morning at 8:15 AM on the Oak Point link.
  by ccutler

A gloomy looking saturday afternoon today at Oak Point Yard...
  by wintower

At 1:30p. noticed the CSX train with two engines southbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R.
  by ccutler

Around 8:15 am I saw a local hauling three LPG cars, with a boxcar and a gondola as spacers, northbound under the 3rd avenue bridge.
  by wintower

At 2:30a. noticed four engines and 75 cars southbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. At 5:20a. a northbound move took place in which I saw less than half of the last half of the train which was moving at a much faster pace than usual. Judging but what I did see, that was an extremely long train.
  by wintower

At 6:30p. noticed a train northbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. with four engines and ninety cars.
  by csx8851

On Saturday at 12:05pm, noticed the CSX train heading north with 4 units (SD60M leading/ 3 SD40-2s) with around 70 or so cars.
  by expbusop

8844 and 8768 (light) waiting to enter Hudson Line @ Highbridge 8:25am today. Lite move to Selkirk? Pick up outlaw at Croton? 6 axles on local?
  by Train2009

expbusop wrote:8844 and 8768 (light) waiting to enter Hudson Line @ Highbridge 8:25am today. Lite move to Selkirk? Pick up outlaw at Croton? 6 axles on local?
You are right it picked up a outlaw train at Croton it was Q431.
  by ccutler

here are reports from today's ride to Oak Point Yard.
2015-12-13 12.26.28.jpg
I believe every car in the yard in this shot is an incoming car that arrived from Selkirk. The long cut of cars on the left looks like it is ready to be hauled to the NYRR. There is an unusually long cut of white refrigerator cars [about 17] and three flour cars, which looks ready to be taken to the Hunt's Point Market.
The string of boxcars could be for either the Daily News or for the local warehouses next to the yard. Very long cuts of black propane tankers take up two tracks. I am guessing that the warm weather has reduced demand so inventories are building in the yard. And furthest on the right looks like a cut of cars for the Hudson Line north of the city...4 propane cars, two or three lumber cars, and two boxcars.

I attached two other photos as well...one is the back end of Hunts Point market...there are about 30 flour cars there but don't think that's an indication of volume, as that area appears to be largely storage-in-transit. one to five flour cars per day is what I've usually seen when I see the switcher going there.
2015-12-13 12.48.24.jpg
  by ccutler

A positive development for my rides is that NYC finally finished the connecting bike path between Randall's island and the Bronx, running right between the NY Post consignee and the main freight connecting track to Oak Point Yard. Caution on commentaries included below!
2015-12-13 13.39.51.jpg
2015-12-13 13.37.08.jpg
2015-12-13 13.31.38.jpg
  by expbusop

2804 and 2720 NB with 3 propane tankers, 2 spacer box cars and caboose on Oak Point Link between 145th St bridge and Macombs Dam Bridge at 8:30 am.
  by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote:2804 and 2720 NB with 3 propane tankers, 2 spacer box cars and caboose on Oak Point Link between 145th St bridge and Macombs Dam Bridge at 8:30 am.

B750 heading Burnwell