• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by jaymac

As a longtime CP-43 gawker -- back when such things were possible -- I can't recall any locomotive air horns being sounded. Could it be trucks?
  by MBTA1016

I'm going on a rant here. Are people ever happy with what goes on around them anymore? I would rather live with train horns going off then have 18wheelers go by my house 5 days a week from 5am till 6pm. Trains were there before all those houses, has anyone realized what trains did for us in history. I'm heard dumb complaints before but that's ridiculous, if ur not satisfied with the trains move to another neighborhood without tracks nearby. If u can't do that right away stay at a cheap hotel till u can move. Sorry but trains have done a lot for this country. (End of rant). Sorry if I offended any truck drivers out there or people who like trucks. I like trucks as well but will defend trains before defending trucks.
  by charlie6017

People are going to need to get over themselves--the Yard was there before the people!

Charlie
  by frrc

In regards to the horn issue at Worcester, the locals are proposing CSX have flagmen in the yard every time a train is in the yard...similar idea was put into place in Spencer in 2007. I recall residents in Spencer were having issues crossing the tracks to their favorite fishing pond, and wanted the trains on the sidings broken into sections to allow easier access.

I also heard some residents want CSX to pay for and put up a 'sound wall' in Worcester similar to the ones along major highways. Funny they can deal with the steady drone of traffic on I-290 every day, lived in Worcester back in the 1980's near I-190 and got used to it. The NIMBY factor never ends... :(

http://www.telegram.com/article/2013020 ... 99935/1116
  by Komarovsky

When I lived in main south in Worcester, I could hear the horns from the P&W yard all through the night and after a month I got used to it. Funny how the people who are now throwing a fit about this never seemed to even realize that there was a second large rail yard in the city, probably because it was the "poor people" who had to deal with it. I'm they'll get their crumb, but CSX certainly isn't going to build a sound wall or anything like that.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Does anyone have an updated list of all the trains that currently operate over the Boston and Albany these days?
  by boatsmate

Link says you need to be a member of the group to read it... not a member can't read it.....
  by boatsmate

RE Horns in Worcester Yard... when they constructed the unloading Fac. they put in an unprotected crossing. the train crews need to stop and protect and flagg teh crossing.

also during the clean up over the weekend I heard a train conductor complain to the yard master that the p;ow drivers where ignorning him while he flagged the crossing and almost caused an accident. when asked why he didn't blow the horn at them he said he was doing a backup move and had no horm..... one of the trucks actually stoped on the crossing and the train had to emergency stop to avoid hitting it.
  by johnpbarlow

boatsmate wrote:Link says you need to be a member of the group to read it... not a member can't read it.....
It's free and easy to join any Yahoo group - there are boat loads of informative RR sightings / discussion forums on Yahoo.
  by BigLou80

Anybody know whats up with the derailment over RT 5 is west springfield ?
  by boatsmate

Heard 2 Cars one has Flamable material. on teh bridge over rte 5 reports of danage to the bridge also.

As for the yahoo group not all of us want to belong to a millon yahoo groups......
  by csxb&aconductor

wwlp has a live feed and some pics
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is coverage of the West Springfield MA derailment, which would appear involved HAZMAT, immediately noted.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hamp ... derailment

Brief passage:

• WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - West Springfield police have evacuating residents of streets near the railroad trestle, as the effort to clear two derailed railroad tanker cars from the bridge continues.

Police have evacuated residents of Globe, Railroad, and Bridge Streets; which are in the immediate vicinity of the trestle. Police have not yet determined whether to evacuate residents of Chapin Street, but the road is closed to all but emergency vehicles at this time.

School buses have been brought in to move the residents out, and about 14 have been taken to the West Springfield Middle School, where CSX is providing meals for them. Meanwhile, Route 5 remains closed from the Memorial Bridge Rotary to the North End Bridge Rotary.