• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Komarovsky

Looks like work on dismantling beacon park has begun. Noticed today that a portion of the yard track closest to the MBTA's track was cut up and the ties removed.
  by Knucklehead

Komarovsky wrote:Looks like work on dismantling beacon park has begun. Noticed today that a portion of the yard track closest to the MBTA's track was cut up and the ties removed.
Is that Yard track 1? Perhaps they are installing the second main in it's place to relieve the bottleneck of single main between CP3 and CP4??
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

From the MBTA forum, re: the Grand Junction reopening last week: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p1133433
sery2831 wrote:Rumor is Pan Am is keeping the traffic.
Anyone confirm? Has CSX washed its hands of Everett officially?
  by m80

Wow the uninformed masses trudge on.

B721(the market job) started again Sunday 1330 from framingdump, beacon is still in order and still gets intermodal daily.
  by Komarovsky

m80 wrote: beacon is still in order and still gets intermodal daily.
Very true, there hasn't been any more work on that severed yard track since I last posted. I'm suprised they haven't begun closeout though, I thought Worcester, Springfield and Westboro were all completed.
  by soontobecsxconductor

they took up a small piece of track not really a dismanting but as i was told "the t needed the rail" ..also bp yrd operations will end the 2nd or 3rd wk in feb. they have already started to divert some traffic to worcester and also when bp closes w.spfld will be sending out a block on the 119
  by K4Pacific

Well CSX announced today Worcester is officially open for the Stackers. I wonder if DeWitt will be downgraded?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the CSX Press Release regarding the Worcester intermodal facility immediately noted by Mr. K4 Pacific:

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/media/pres ... red-route/

Brief passage:

• Jacksonville, Florida – January 24, 2013 – CSX Corporation’s railroad subsidiary, CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT), working in concert with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, has opened New England’s first double-stack cleared intermodal route on its rail line between the New York state line and the newly-expanded intermodal terminal in Worcester, Mass., benefitting businesses and consumers in central New England by reducing transit times on key lanes by as much as 24 hours.
  by Ironman

K4Pacific wrote:Well CSX announced today Worcester is officially open for the Stackers. I wonder if DeWitt will be downgraded?
DeWitt will not be downgraded, but Selkirk will.
  by Knucklehead

Ironman wrote:
K4Pacific wrote:Well CSX announced today Worcester is officially open for the Stackers. I wonder if DeWitt will be downgraded?
DeWitt will not be downgraded, but Selkirk will.
What impact will the opening of doublestacks in Worcester have on Selkirk?
  by CSX Conductor

Knucklehead wrote:What impact will the opening of doublestacks in Worcester have on Selkirk?
Rail traffic-wise, absolutely none....because no vans or stacks are really set-out or picked-up there. There is no van/stack site in Selkirk.

Now, as far as crews, there has always been talk about running crews straight through Dewitt to Worcester, but I don't see it happening anytime too soon.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

soontobecsxconductor wrote:they took up a small piece of track not really a dismanting but as i was told "the t needed the rail" ..also bp yrd operations will end the 2nd or 3rd wk in feb. they have already started to divert some traffic to worcester and also when bp closes w.spfld will be sending out a block on the 119
Any update on when the BP main yard's official closing is slated for?
  by Komarovsky

The yard was looking pretty empty this week, only a handful of empty DS cars and almost no containers.

I've been seeing a lot of DS traffic in Worcester though and a general uptick in traffic as well.
  by soontobecsxconductor

Any update on when the BP main yard's official closing is slated for?[/quote]

feb 15th yard and mid april engine house
  by Jeff Smith

More on the double-stack project from Progressive Railroading
CSX opens double-stack route in New England

CSX Transportation, working in conjunction with the commonwealth of Massachusetts, has opened New England's first double-stack-cleared intermodal route on its line between the New York state line and a newly expanded intermodal terminal in Worcester, CSX Corp. officials announced yesterday.

The double-stack intermodal route benefits businesses and consumers in central New England by reducing transit times on key lanes by as much as 24 hours, they said.

Prior to opening the route, CSXT increased vertical clearances at 31 locations on the line to 21 feet. Previously, double-stack trains coming to New England from the Midwest or from western origins had to stop in Syracuse, N.Y., to be converted to single-stack configurations, and the reverse occurred on westbound routes from New England, adding time, cost and complexity to freight flows, CSX officials said.

The project was part of an agreement with the commonwealth that enabled Massachusetts to acquire CSXT's lines in the Boston area to increase commuter-rail service. In conjunction with that project, the Worcester intermodal terminal was expanded.
...which may duplicate Mr. Norman's post depending upon paraphrasing and such.