• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Barlow and Train Guy, thanks for locating and sharing the PAR Clearance map.

So OK, Timmy doesn't want to pay to dig Hoosac out from its noted 17' to the 21' needed to handle "double stacks" (tri-levels 20'); now wouldn't it be best to have Pan Am come into the hands of someone who will?

I would think that to have a competitive routing with CSX/B&A and to enable the Maine ports, as well as Saint John, to "get in the game", that to me means a road that can handle any piece of railroad equipment out there - just as the B&A can! I cannot foresee any Short Line operator such as G&W making the financial commitment to dig out Hoosac and get at least FRA Class 3 on the ground. So therefore, given the competitive "philosophy" Surf Board holds to (and for all I know, so does Transport Canada), I'm still clutching my $2 ticket on "Topper".
  by bostontrainguy

The Commonwealth of Mass has done a "Patriot Corridor Double-Stack Initiative" and has identified the areas of restriction. I don't know off the top of my head if this was done east of Ayer but I do recall interest in doing it across Massachusetts at least.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/about ... ve-project
  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am Messrs. Barlow and Train Guy, thanks for locating and sharing the PAR Clearance map.

So OK, Timmy doesn't want to pay to dig Hoosac out from its noted 17' to the 21' needed to handle "double stacks" (tri-levels 20'); now wouldn't it be best to have Pan Am come into the hands of someone who will?

I would think that to have a competitive routing with CSX/B&A and to enable the Maine ports, as well as Saint John, to "get in the game", that to me means a road that can handle any piece of railroad equipment out there - just as the B&A can! I cannot foresee any Short Line operator such as G&W making the financial commitment to dig out Hoosac and get at least FRA Class 3 on the ground. So therefore, given the competitive "philosophy" Surf Board holds to (and for all I know, so does Transport Canada), I'm still clutching my $2 ticket on "Topper".
I think you are correct - it is foolhardy to believe anyone but a Class I is going to invest the amount of capital needed to turn the system into something that can compete with the other Class Is and to attract substantial new traffic.

I think some of those Class Is make sense, but it won't happen. I think Investment firm.

Really hard to read the tea leaves on this one.
Last edited by newpylong on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by J.D. Lang

Interesting documents Mr. Trainguy. Thanks for sharing especially the Patriot corridor DS review. Obviously the Hoosac tunnel is the Achilles heel. I am surprised that most of this can be accomplished by track undercutting with only a few overhead bridge replacements. Mass DOT was very instrumental in funding some of the projects that cleared the B&A for DS. I'm sure they would want to keep 2 RR's with access to the Eastern New England intermodal market. I wonder if "Topper" has talked to the Mass DOT. Could make for an interesting horse race.
  by codasd

"johnpbarlow wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:05 am
Idle thoughts:
With regard to Pan Am Southern, it's not clear to me that half the D3 route is worth keeping:..."

What is the CSX customer base between the Mass/NY border and Worcester, I suspect it is similar to PAS/PAR west of Ayer.
I am under the impression that the PAS/PAR route, putting aside the track condition and tunnel issue, is superior to the B&A route. That is, Pan Am has a better grade and their track has fewer over all turns(don't know the railroad speak for this). As I previously mentioned I believe a Class 1 railroad could be profitable west of Old Town. Raise the track to at least class III, install proper passing track, use reliable power and don't piss off customers and you may entice old customers to try the new service with a car or two to see if the new owner is reliable.
  by BandA

I have to say I guessed it had something to do with a horse, but I keep conflating it with the movie Topper from 1937 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029682/ with Roland Young as Cosmo Topper, which I then conflate with The Thin Man with William Powell & Myrna Loy.

Oh, and NS' black livery, although classic is very boring even compared to PAR's blue dip or chalky-McGinnis. Now I guess I need a Guinness.
  by BandA

I don't think you want to consolidate all PAS traffic onto the single-track, steep grade B&A. You need an alternate route in case of disaster whether natural or man-made.
  by roberttosh

I believe CSX has more on line business West of Worcester than PAS has West of Ayer/Fitchburg.
  by gokeefe

The proposed idea of a combined line is anti-competitive and would amount to the imposition by the government of a trust. It is probably illegal and possibly unconstitutional.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:So therefore, given the competitive "philosophy" Surf Board holds to (and for all I know, so does Transport Canada), I'm still clutching my $2 ticket on "Topper".
Indeed Mr. Norman. I would imagine they would look quite favorably on NS service to Saint John as a significant enhancement.

That being said ... It's pretty interesting to me that as part of this deal CN could buy themselves multiple gateways into the New York market. They would have either Mechanicville, Naugatuck, Rotterdam or perhaps some additional options involving various shortlines.

Hard to imagine CN would scoff at the opportunity to better serve the New York area even if the gateways are in secondary locations. I would acknowledge upfront that it's not as if they are going to pickup Chicago bound loads this way but it might do other things for them.

by newpylong

Tea leaves are blowing investment firm with an October/ November announcement, but by no means final.
  by gokeefe

WOW ...

by CN9634

newpylong wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:05 pm Tea leaves are blowing investment firm with an October/ November announcement, but by no means final.
The one led by Fink Jr?
  by Gilbert B Norman

newpylong wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:05 pm Tea leaves are blowing investment firm...
.....and there goes any reason for a shipper needing railroad transportation to locate in New England.

May as well rename Saint John harbor "Irving Cove".