• CPR to buy Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Corp

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by cclune

"DM&E chief says railroad will stay independent, expert thinks deal will win approval." I found this topic in the trains magazine news wire email from October 16th. Strangely, I clicked on the link (quote) and no story is available. If anyone has any information on this title I would love to hear some feedback. How is this possible? I hope CP closes the deal and fixes up the DM&E and runs their trains their trackage...

by Leo_Ames

I'm not sure what you want answered. He means if its independent, he thinks the company won't disappear and become just another part of Canadian Pacific, but will maintain some independence with such things as maybe keeping its name, paint schemes, dispatching, etc., after Canadian Pacific gets it.

He isn't saying he doesn't think the acquisition won't happen. Just that it's identity won't completely disappear he thinks and become just another part of the CP system, it will keep some autonomy.
  by CNW1212

I have talked both to CP Rail and DM&E crew members, and both say that CP is thinking of keeping DM&E a seperate railroad. You would still see DM&E colors and all the locomotives would be kept un-patched, unlike Soo Lines locomotives.

by uhaul

Welcome to the forum CNW1212.
I do not recall any CP patched SOO power, but only CP painted ex SOO locomotives.

by CNW1212

Sorry thats what I had meant. I live along CP Rails River Sub. near tower C.K. (DM&E Cross-over. Ex C&NW and Milwaukee Road lines) so I see both DM&E and CP Rail. I get about 30 trains off the CP and one if I'm lucky, off of DM&E. They have nice power, but I wish it would change once and a while. 3 SD40-2s on the average train and occasionly a GP40-2. Wish they had the SD10s still in service. I just recently got to ride it the cab of a DM&E train parked down in Goodview. I talked to the engineer about the buyout and he had hoped that DM&E would become CP. The main reason CP wants to keep DM&E seperate, is because it would cost them less. I love DM&E but I wish they would have more trains!
  by ES44DC

Canadian Pacific has officially purchased the DM & E. This will be interesting to see how much bigger now CP gets in the Midwest being they have access to the coal mines now......

by Patrick

ok.. please pardon my ignorance, but does the sale of the DME to CP mean that they will also aquire the ICE too?? Thanks.

by CNW1212

Patrick wrote:ok.. please pardon my ignorance, but does the sale of the DME to CP mean that they will also aquire the ICE too?? Thanks.
Yup they get IC&E too!

by Patrick

thanks for clearing that up for me.
  by atsf sp

Its sad to see DME and ICE merge into the CP. I got out there to see DME before CP started changing the operations. But with these Class 1's buying up all the short lines, it makes railroading somewhat lose its multipersonalities of numerous lines.
  by CN9634

Heres a simple FAQ from the CP website on the DM&E/IC&E Transaction from an employee perspective.

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/DME/FAQ/default.htm#1

Questions about the railroad from a railfan perspective are answered here as well. For example heres a good question and answer:
Q: If DM&E and IC&E bought a locomotive tomorrow, what color would it be: blue and yellow or red and white?

A: We have not made any decisions at this time regarding the appearance of our locomotives. We have to remember the heritage, the history and the people behind all the colors. CP doesn't want to take away from what you've worked so hard to build. We need to acknowledge and respect differences. CP's ultimate decision will be based on what makes most business sense. We won't paint a locomotive just for the sake of it matching the rest of the fleet.
  by atsf sp

Today is the end of 22 years. CP owns the DME. Good Bye. We will miss you. :(