• Converting an Amfleet car into a cab car

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by peanut1

Hello,
I need some help in making a decision. I have an amtrak amfleet trailer car (HO scale) that only has one hook on it. The reason for that is because the holes under the car where the screws would go will not hold the screws in them. This is what resulted me into this idea. What exactly would I need to do to the car in order to make into a cab car? I know I would have to build a cab on it, but how exactly do I do that and is it hard? I am looking to convert it into the currently running keystone cab. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  by N-Trizzy2609

Getting ur hands on even a dead Bachmann Metroliner would be helpful whether if u wanna salvage the front end of it or use the metroliner instead. Either way u really can't do anything without a Metroliner since that's what the Keystone cab cars are. Converted Metroliners.
  by peanut1

Well if I did find one than I probably would just use that. The problem with the car that I have is the holes where the screws would go, won't hold them in place. I don't know what the problem is. I tried gorilla tape and it worked for awhile. It stopped working. Is there anything else I could try? Maybe crazy glue or hot glue. Any ideas??
  by jrc520

Peanut1, if you are still looking for old metroliners, I've got a few - in fact, I have one body shell that I had started to work on years ago. PM me and we can talk further(and the offer goes to anyone else who wants one, I have three total.)
  by Cadet57

jrc520 wrote:Peanut1, if you are still looking for old metroliners, I've got a few - in fact, I have one body shell that I had started to work on years ago. PM me and we can talk further(and the offer goes to anyone else who wants one, I have three total.)
Peanut1, if the offer from jrc520 doesn't work out (not saying it worn't), I have a couple spare Metroliner noses that you could graft onto an amfleet.
  by peanut1

jrc520 wrote:Peanut1, if you are still looking for old metroliners, I've got a few - in fact, I have one body shell that I had started to work on years ago. PM me and we can talk further(and the offer goes to anyone else who wants one, I have three total.)

I would be greatly interested. For some reason my private message link is not working. Could you message me? Thanks in advance.
  by peanut1

Cadet57 wrote:
Peanut1, if the offer from jrc520 doesn't work out (not saying it worn't), I have a couple spare Metroliner noses that you could graft onto an amfleet.
What is grafting exactly? I'm not familiar with the term. I have an idea what it means . I don't know if I'd be able to do that as I'm not that handy. If it was being done for me that would be alot easier.
  by Otto Vondrak

peanut1 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
What is grafting exactly? I'm not familiar with the term. I have an idea what it means . I don't know if I'd be able to do that as I'm not that handy. If it was being done for me that would be alot easier.
"Graft" is a word that means "to add something to something else."

If you want to model a cab car, the easiest thing to do would be to accept one of these offers of an old Metroliner nose that you would then glue on to the end of your existing Amfleet car. That is the simplest description of what you would have to do.

Now, the next step really depends on how much you care to learn. You'd be surprised what you can do when you try new things. You say you are not "handy." I don't know what that means, but if you have two hands and the ability to use them, you are indeed handy.

In this hobby, when you take parts from two or more different models or kits and combine them into something new, we call it "kitbashing."

So you've never kitbashed before. Well, you'll need to pick up a few simple tools at your local hobby shop. They are inexpensive and easy to use.

1) Razor Saw (made for making clean cuts in plastic and wood pieces)

2) Mitre Box (to help you make square cuts)

3) No. 11 hobby knife and holder (the commonly called "x-acto knife" but there are many brands)

4) Liquid model cement (not the goopy stuff that comes in a tube)

Not sure what any of this stuff is? That's what the folks at the hobby shop are there for.

So here's where you start. Go in your junk box and find two cars you don't care about anymore (or go to your hobby shop and find two cheap freight cars). Bring all your tools home, get out your two freight cars, and start experimenting. See what it's like to cut a car in half using the razor saw and the mitre box. Make some square cuts, and combine one half of one car with one half of the other car. See how little glue it takes to make a joint. Don't worry if you mess up the first time, these are the cars you don't care about, remember? We're just playing Frankenstein to get used to the process of cutting plastic and joining parts together.

So you said you want to make a Metroliner cab car, or something close. First thing you'll want to do is to look at photos of the real thing to get an idea of how your parts will go together. I did a search for you and found a whole bunch of cab car photos:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... 0Cab%20Car

This one is pretty good, shows where the nose would join to your existing Amfleet car:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123319

Okay, so now you have an idea of what the real thing looks like. Now all you have to do is figure out where to make your cuts so one of your donated Metroliner noses will meet up with your existing Amfleet car. Since they were made by different manufacturers, you may find they dont exactly meet up together, but will be close. Your mitre box will help you make a nice, clean, square cut so you have to do as little clean up as possible. Use a little glue to make the joint. A little. You'd be surprised how strong this stuff is.

That's really it... You may want to do a little touch up with the sandpaper. As far as painting your finished model, you'll probably want a little Platinum Mist paint to touch up the silver, and then figure out if you want to paint the yellow and black stripes yourself or use decals (and then you'll have to learn how to apply decals).

Did I lose you yet?

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Here's an article by a fellow who made a really detailed model... His pictures might help you make yours.

http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911/model/cabcar.html

-otto-
  by peanut1

Thanks Otto, no I understand what you told me. I know how to apply decals as I did it not that long ago to another car I have. I have an old freight car that is falling apart so I might use that to practice on. It doesn't sound to hard to do I just need to get the nose for the car and the time to do it as I will be heading off to my first year of college next wek. I will definetly buy the stuff and when the time allows I will start the project. Of course when I complete it I will post photos. Thanks again for the help.
  by peanut1

Well good news, bad news situation. The good news is the car I was gunna convert to a cab was fixed today. I fixed it myself and it is back runing with two hooks. Nothing a little hot glue and black gorialla tape couldn't fix. The bad news is unfortunatly the diesel that I was using to pull this decided to crap out on me, so now I don't have a locomotive. It was a life like F40 that I will never be buying again. I was able to convert the F40 to a NPCU. I still have the problem of finding a replacement. This loco is still a bit heavy to move as the dead motor is stil inside. Should I remove it? I plan on buying Athearn's new Amtrak Phase V genny that is coming out in November of 2011. Will that be strong enought to move that plus 5 bachmann amfleet cars? All information is greatly appreciated. Thank you all again for all your help.
  by Ken S.

peanut1 wrote:Well good news, bad news situation. The good news is the car I was gunna convert to a cab was fixed today. I fixed it myself and it is back runing with two hooks. Nothing a little hot glue and black gorialla tape couldn't fix. The bad news is unfortunatly the diesel that I was using to pull this decided to crap out on me, so now I don't have a locomotive. It was a life like F40 that I will never be buying again. I was able to convert the F40 to a NPCU. I still have the problem of finding a replacement. This loco is still a bit heavy to move as the dead motor is stil inside. Should I remove it? I plan on buying Athearn's new Amtrak Phase V genny that is coming out in November of 2011. Will that be strong enought to move that plus 5 bachmann amfleet cars? All information is greatly appreciated. Thank you all again for all your help.
The dead F40PH with it's motor in it will definitely drag any engine down and Athearn's RTR Genesis is lighter then the old Blue Box one was.