• CoNO: All things City of New Orleans

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gumby5647

well, the official explanation is to save on switching moves in San Antonio.

??????

The City is now running like this all the time....so anyone who lives near the line can go out and see it.

I honestly don't have a problem with the sleeper being behind the dorm....but don't split up the coaches like that.....talk about a NIGHTMARE!!!!

by Gilbert B Norman

gumby5647 wrote:well, the official explanation is to save on switching moves in San Antonio. ????!!!
Grief, Mr. Gumby :P

I think your next steak left some behind in the feedlot before "meeting his maker" and thence your dinner table.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Apparently there are sufficient 37XXX Superliner diner conversions on the property to enable 58-59 to be assigned these cars effective with the October 29 Timetable change.

Here is material fromCox News Service regarding the service change. It appears that this "wire" Service has them a railfan Staff Reporter.

The existing equipment "couplet" with 21-22, Texas Eagle, will be broken hence requiring one additional set to protect that service.

BTW, I've learned that those here who are NARP Members can view interior photos of the 37XXX cars at their website ("Members Only").
  by eazy521

Txeas ARP has photos of the new Diner-Lounge, car 37001. Here's the link:

http://www.txarp.org/diner-lounge-09-07.htm

The blogger at Trains4America thinks this design is a disaster. You can see his comments at: http://trains4america.wordpress.com/2007/10/13/

My mind does not do a good job visualizing this car and I don't see anything too horrible about it.

What I don't like hearing is that this design replaces the Lounge car in addition to the diner.

Eric

by icgsteve

the reason for the circular tables is obvious...it is to allow families with kids to better fit into the space, as well as to increase the capacity from four to five adults in a pinch. The problem is two fold. The first is a table space problem. If you try to put plates for five or even six (some being kids) on a table in this configuration it will be very crowded. Plates will be on top of each other. This will lead to exploring the envelope of using the aisle edge, which will be a problem because of train movement and people movement. The second problem is about personal space. Side by side is the intimate seating configuration. Normally in a four top with two couple who don't know each other each couple will be on a side. When you put two couples in the circular booth obviously two people who don't know each other are going to in intimate seating re each other. Being shoulder to shoulder and elbow to elbow with a person you don't know and maybe don't like is going to be a problem for Americans. Europeans are much more accustomed to this seating arrangement, but they have a different concept of personal space than we do. This seating has been used in American railroad history, but almost always in lounge cars where the table space needs are much more limited, and where the social lubricant is flowing. I am not convinced that it is a good idea for the lounge/dinner.

A first glance the facing away from the window is a problem, but the person is now facing towards the window on the other side of the car over a traditional four top so no body will get in the way of the view. I would need to sit in the circular booth to make sure, but the "view-shed" of the passing scenery probably is OK.

by Frank

How many LD trains have the Diner-lite configuration?
  by jp1822

I have a suspicion they are going to be rolled out on the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans (Superliner Train sets) and then the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal (using modified Amfleet II Lounge cars). Only time will tell what becomes of such.

Should be interesting to see what Amtrak does with the "extra cars" operating the diner/lounge combo produces. For example, will the Sightseer Lounges from the City of New Orleans and Texas Eagle head off to storage or be used on other long distance trains for sleeper class passengers or Western Corrirdor trains to offer a more upgraded experience.
  by eazy521

What do people think about the extended food service hours?

I think it's a good idea, especially if Amtrak can keep the cars supplied with food.
  by icgsteve

eazy521 wrote:What do people think about the extended food service hours?

I think it's a good idea, especially if Amtrak can keep the cars supplied with food.
I would expect that to be a problem. I don't see Amtrak keeping its employees motivated and perhaps even working extended hours. A major point of the change was to cut employee costs, so don't look for amtrak to add back employees to support extended serving times. If push come to shove serving times will be cut back. At that point Amtrak food service capacity will be drastically reduced from what it was, and Amtrak will face unhappy passengers. Even if Amtrak manages to keep the lounge supplied those who expected dinning service but were forced to settle for a ham sandwich will not be happy campers.
  by AmtrakRider

icgsteve wrote:
eazy521 wrote:What do people think about the extended food service hours?

I would expect that to be a problem. I don't see Amtrak keeping its employees motivated and perhaps even working extended hours. A major point of the change was to cut employee costs, so don't look for amtrak to add back employees to support extended serving times. If push come to shove serving times will be cut back. At that point Amtrak food service capacity will be drastically reduced from what it was, and Amtrak will face unhappy passengers. Even if Amtrak manages to keep the lounge supplied those who expected dinning service but were forced to settle for a ham sandwich will not be happy campers.
I think those who already are being forced to settle for a ham sandwich under the current dining hours are already not happy campers. So that is n't going to create much of a change. However, on trains like Cardinal, even a modified dining experience will be an advantage. There's nothing like being FORCED to eat the snack car burger or pizza, with no vegetables of any kind available, simply because that's all there is available.

And who knows? Maybe Amtrak will be able to "afford" extended hours (i.e. increased employees) on more popular runs like the Crescent . . .
  by AmtrakRider

jp1822 wrote:I have a suspicion they are going to be rolled out on the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans (Superliner Train sets) and then the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal (using modified Amfleet II Lounge cars). Only time will tell what becomes of such.
I'm not sure how these new diner cars will work out on the LD trains, but a trainset like the Cardinal's could really use such an addition. Food service is abysmal, and this is a train where by the end of the 24-hour run to DC the snack car is often out of food . . . real food would be appreciated, even if only in "diner lite" format.

by CNJ

I had read somewhere that consideration was being given (or plans were already in the works) to have "real food" preparation restored on the Coast Starlight...much in the same manner as the Empire Builder.

You would think that at the very least some of the "premier trains" (SW Chief, Zephyr, Starlight and others, should have this sort of dining.
  by The Metropolitan

AmtrakRider wrote:
jp1822 wrote:I have a suspicion they are going to be rolled out on the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans (Superliner Train sets) and then the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal (using modified Amfleet II Lounge cars). Only time will tell what becomes of such.
I'm not sure how these new diner cars will work out on the LD trains, but a trainset like the Cardinal's could really use such an addition. Food service is abysmal, and this is a train where by the end of the 24-hour run to DC the snack car is often out of food . . . real food would be appreciated, even if only in "diner lite" format.
"Diner Lite" is already in full swing on the Cardinal. Rode this train in coach CVS>BAL a month ago, and took advantage of the new option. Had a dinner of Salmon and Rice with carrots and a corn/bean mix - DEFINITELY a move in the right direction for this train. The server was very nice, welcomed me as a coach passenger to the dining side. There were 3 or 4 other coach riders also taking advantage of the expanded options.

I guess my only qualm was that there was no "invitation" made to my fellow coach riders to come back and enjoy the new service - In the 4 hours on the train, I saw a few riders make repeated trips to the cafe/lounge only to return to their seats with repeated servings of the kiddie type junk - hot dog, chips, soda, which certainly cost them every bit of 6 or 7 dollars a visit. Heck, I got a much more rewarding and nutritional meal with dessert for not too much more than that - and got a chance to enjoy it in the diner.

by gprimr1

I like the mix of tables in the new design. There are some that provide standard out the window views but there are also some that provide an experience more suited to eating a meal and talking. Plus, the new interior has a nice Cafe look.

by David Benton

If the crews cant be bothered giving extended meal times , then its time to get new crews , or contract it out .