• CoNO: All things City of New Orleans

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good. Now they can do the same thing to Florida if not alredy.

by Ken W2KB

>>>When there is a locomotive operating on each end of the train (take the Acela Express, for example), are the couplers (or drawbars for Acela) in tension or compression<<<

Since the rear power car is pushing (at least in acceleration and when at constant speed level or upgrade) it would have to be in compression. In tension the rear unit would be essentially deadheading.
  by Signalman

Just checking if the diner had been added back to #58 & #59. Some thought they might not. It had no diner when I rode it in Nov, 2005. Sleeper passengers got a grilled chicken salad for dinner, even the young kids 2-3 yrs old. One family complained and I think the conductor got them something from cafe. thanks and happy railing

by Gilbert B Norman

The City reportedly offers the so-called "Diner Lite" menu that is being phased in Systemwide. The only LD trains that will retain traditional on-board food preparation are the Chi-Seattle Empire Builder and the (near) Washington-(near) Orlando Auto Train.

Initial reports regarding the quality of the simplified dining initiative could best be described as "vile', however, there is a recent report appearing at another railforum suggesting the service has improved and in fact the reviewer suggests that it is "quite adequate'.

by Rhinecliff

I am watching this new dining car service roll out with a great deal of trepidation.

As some may recall, when Amtrak announced that Subway would be providing food and beverage service on Amtrak's short-haul Empire Corridor trains pursuant to a six-month pilot project, I predicted that the initiative would fail miserably by every conceivable measure. Well, the initiative did worse than fail miserably: It went so poorly that within one week, Subway abandoned the pilot project altogether. (You can't make this stuff up; this is reality at today's Amtrak under current beltway management.)

Now just a few years after Amtrak sent its chefs (who were already extremely capable) to the Culinary Institute of America for special training in food preparation and presentation, we learn that Amtrak is taking an about face and downgrading the quality of its dining car menu offerings by purchasing pre-plated frozen meals, heating them up onboard, and then serving them on disposable dishware. To make matters worse, Amtrak is purportedly cutting staffing to the point that its dining cars are only going to be capable of serving just 8 people per seating, which seatings are to be spaced at 15" intervals.

This initiative has the potential to eclipse even the Empire Corridor's Subway initiative in absurdity: It couples low-quality food with an inability to serve it -- a combination so potentially incompetent that it could only come from Amtrak's neocon-beholden beltway management team.

Eliminating food service on short-haul Empire Corridor trains is one thing, but destroying food service on long-haul trains is something altogether different. Destroying food service will destroy of the service. Of course, that might very well be the objetive.
  by jp1822

I totally agree Rhinecliff. But we can thank our government elect for adding a provision to Amtrak's subsidy that required it to achieve savings in dining services. If they wanted to achieve savings, our government leaders would have been better off going after Amtrak labor/work agreements (passing the necessary reforms) and making Amtrak explore a near cashless onboard environment (from my accounting background). Amtrak still has an onboard environment that invites fraud.

The classic train experience (and that retains customers) is often obtained by having a good meal in the diner - for long distance day or overnight trains. Seems Amtrak is doing its best to kill this experience - or downgrade it. And the sepearate Lounge and Diner Car will soon be combined into one car - also a bad move for the onboard experience.

I think a better approach would have been expanding off of the Empire Builder and trying various ways to increase revenue on trains. There's lots of room for revenue improvement. I've mentioned a number already in other forums - and I'm not going into it again.

by M&Eman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The City reportedly offers the so-called "Diner Lite" menu that is being phased in Systemwide. The only LD trains that will retain traditional on-board food preparation are the Chi-Seattle Empire Builder and the (near) Washington-(near) Orlando Auto Train.
Why does the Empire Builder get special treatment? What about the Southwest Chief and California Zephr? What about eastern LDs? I thought the Florida trains were pretty successful ( on a relative scale anyway).

by mbutte

As a 25-year-veteren of the food and beverage/hospitality industry, I always take special interest in Amtrak’s ongoing trials and tribulations in the food service business.

First and foremost, there is NO WAY Amtrak will ever make money or even approach breaking even on it’s food service, due to it’s high labor-agreement based staffing costs. NO restaurant outside of say New York City or Los Angeles could operate at a profit and pay the wages that Amtrak pays.

While I’m as big a fan of traditional dining car service as anyone, I do agree that continuing to loss over $100 million a year on Food and Beverage Service is no longer justifiable. If we want Amtrak to survive at all, we should all agree that something had to change.

Thus, Amtrak has devised a two-step process to significantly reduce costs, while still providing (hopefully) at least some level of acceptable service. The current roll-out of ‘simplified’ dining is the first step. Here are the facts as I undertand them:

Dining Car staff is reduced from 5 (1 steward, 2 servers, 2 kitchen staff) to 3 (1 steward, 1 server, 1 kitchen staff). This staffing will allow service of up to 96 persons per meal period. If a higher load (up to 142 persons is expected), an additional staff member is to be added. Above 142 to be served, a fifth person is added.

How is this reduction in staff accomplished you ask? If it works right (yes, I agree a BIG if), it should work well.

Food wise, the main entrees are brought on-board already cooked. This is truly NO change for most of the items served in recent years. Other then the eggs and pancakes at breakfast and the steak at dinner, virtually everything else has been pre-cooked for sometime. After initial problems, the Chef is again preparing starch and vegetable on board. And now, reportedly, some egg items are back to being done on board too. Given the staggered seating times, one Chef should be able to handle everything without a problem.

With the new disposable kitchen and service ware, (which apparently is quite nice) the dish/pot washing task which was the primarily job of the second kitchen person is no longer required.

Now to the service side…How many of us in recent years have had to wait 15-20-25-even 30 minutes after being seated to even be approached? I know I have! The new reservation system, which does limit seating to 8 persons per 15 minutes, should eliminate this problem. I would much rather be served promptly after being seated. As noted above, the plan is to serve 96 persons over a four meal period with the base staffing (16 people every 30 minutes, with a 15 minutes gap with no seating before the next groups start). I know the Chef would much rather be preparing/plating just 8 meals at a time and I can assure you that if I could run my restaurant with seating staggered like this, the service would be world class.

The second phase of the proposed changes, the new "diner-light" cars are still at least a year away from service. I don't undertand enough of this concept (of a combined single diner-lounge car) to know how this will work. I do think the plan to offer continuous sit-down full meal service all day long will be a plus however.

How will all this really work? Only time will tell, but I for one applaud Amtrak for trying to devise a system that just may actually improve the quality of the dining experience and save money too.
  by Ocala Mike

I will be on the CONO, #58 N/B, on Tues., 11/28 in coach. What consist can I expect? Superliners?

Ocala Mike

by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, Mike, the Tuesday next #58 Roomette Accomodation Charge "looked mighty attractive' to me. Why not check it out.

I last rode the City #58 during Feb 04; at that time here was the consist:

P-42
Baggage
Superliner Dorm
Diner
Lounge
Coach
Coach
Coach
Sleeper

Of course, much has changed since then.
  by Ocala Mike

Mr. GBN: On our "planes, trains, and automobiles" trip, the wife and I have quite an itinerary set up. She is flying from Orlando to her sister's house in Nichols, IA (Quad Cities) tomorrow, while I am driving from Ocala to New Orleans to catch Tuesday's CONO. I want to ride coach to catch the "flavor" (and save money). Anyway, I then catch #5 in CHI on Wednesday and get picked up at MTP by my sister-in-law that evening.

Fast forward 24 hours, and my wife and I have bedroom accomodations on #5 between MTP and SLC. We'll probably be crossing the Rockies in a blizzard!

Then a couple of days with my son in Utah (Park City/Ogden/Salt Lake City), and we fly back to New Orleans, pick up the car, visit someone we know in Pass Christian, MS, and drive home.
Should be interesting, and I'm sure I'll have some tales when it's all done!

Ocala Mike

by ne plus ultra

I slept fine in coach SB a few months ago. If you're not a fussy sleeper, it should work well for you. The only issue was that it was colder than I was expecting a summer train to be, and I didn't have anything to keep warm with.

I enjoyed coach a lot. Saw an alligator in northern Mississippi from the lounge/observation car or whatever it's called. Global warming and all. Soon they'll be in St. Louis.

by gumby5647

the standard consist is

P42
Transition
Diner
Lounge
Coach
Bag Coach
Coach
Sleeper

It's possible that they'll cut it down to two coaches....all depends on the number of riders after T-giving....
  by jp1822

Do they still sell rooms in the Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleeper? I believe this trainset is shared with the Texas Eagle (run through of equipment). Not sure of status lately on selling rooms on the Texas Eagle Trans Dorm/Sleeper either.

by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

There are unsubstantiated rumors about the future of salable space in the Transition sleeper for this train. For now, independent sources have established that it is available.