• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by RonM

Bighams questions sound more related to the Bellivieu's exPRR paasenger cars stored at the Regional Market than M2 at Hartford yard. It's kind of a struggle to clearly see the M2s from I-91 other than a quick glance. I have enough trouble just watching out for the "all about me idiots" and everyone else driving in the Meadows. That is one dangerous stretch.
  by Larry

There were two 89ft flatcars of brand new rail going south on CSO-4 today. Maybe these are for the new customers?

Also, those MN cars are going to Suffield yet they have been in the yard for at least a month now.

As stated by Brendan, I saw today 5 more cars with new rail on CSO heading south to Hartford and maybe beyond. I know that this rail is not for the new customer in East Hartford so the question is, who is it really for? Does anyone know?
  by rovetherr

Could it be for the AMTK/A+K rail plant in New Haven? If it was blank (undrilled) rail that could be a likely destination.
  by csor2010

The rail is almost definitely for the Amtrak plant; those cars have been on CSO-4/1 before. My understanding of the M6s is that Amtrak is responsible for moving them but that they need a CSO pilot to go up the Suffield Branch. Thus far, the crew availability hasn't coincided to make the move work.
  by bwparker1

I'm just curious where people observe the Hartford yard from Public Access points? Also, are any of the new customers being spoken of able to be viewed from public property?

- BWP
  by amtrak-wnd

Thanks for the info about the rail. CSO-4 today had 5 more of those flatcars full of new rail, although the cars were not grouped together in the train.

Brendan
  by Ale Rider1

Hartford yard is paralleled by Windsor Street for about a half mile. I have never sat there and watched the action, but I think there is a state parking lot there as well. You can see the engine house pretty well from Windsor ST.

AR1
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Ale Rider1 wrote:Hartford yard is paralleled by Windsor Street for about a half mile. I have never sat there and watched the action, but I think there is a state parking lot there as well. You can see the engine house pretty well from Windsor ST.

AR1
It's pretty easy to get good views of on public land from the Windsor St. side. There's a half-mile strip with few trees, no buildings, and little more than a chain link fence separating street from mainline ROW.

The lot at the corner of Windsor and Pavillion St. has unobstructed views of most of the upper yard: http://goo.gl/maps/CChMc. Corner of Windsor and Canton St. has views of the lower yard and engine house area: http://goo.gl/maps/jATg1. Comcast Theatre parking lot offers decent views of the other side of the yard, although I'm not sure that lot's open unless there's an event at the venue.
  by Ale Rider1

The two Metro North cars are now in Windsor Locks at the National Guard base. There was a de icer tank (white tank) spotted next to them today at 7:45am.

Also, on the siding that leads to the Dexter paper warehouse there appeared to be some boxes for dexter use and another tank (same style car that is at guard base) or two.

AR1
  by thebigham

One of the passenger cars I saw was lettered "Pennsylvania."
  by RonM

You probably saw the privately owned (BELLIVEAU (Family that owns the Central New England (CNZR)) ex PRR varnish that are available for lease There are 2 cars. They are kept at the Hartford Regional Market where CSOR can retrieve them and tie them on to Amtrak.
  by bwparker1

RonM wrote:You probably saw the privately owned (BELLIVEAU (Family that owns the Central New England (CNZR)) ex PRR varnish that are available for lease There are 2 cars. They are kept at the Hartford Regional Market where CSOR can retrieve them and tie them on to Amtrak.
Agreed.
  by Ale Rider1

How often do those private cars see use?

I can't recall then ever NOT being parked at the regional market.
  by amtrak-wnd

Ale Rider1 wrote:How often do those private cars see use?

I can't recall then ever NOT being parked at the regional market.
I saw them go through Windsor two or three times last year on Amtrak shuttles. Usually they go to a convention for private cars (I forget the name) which happens every year. They also got used on the NECR passenger special a few months ago.

Brendan