Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Connecticut Post
http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1413, ... 25,00.html#

Amtrak to lease 8 Locomotives to state
By ROB [email protected]

Friday, February 04, 2005 -

Amtrak's board of directors on Thursday approved a deal to lease eight locomotives to Connecticut for more than $1.9 million for the first year as the national railroad faces the threat of having a huge government subsidy pulled.

Jim Boice, bureau chief of the state Department of Transportation's rail office and finance, said DOT and Metro-North Railroad engineers will select the locomotives and that Amtrak will retrofit them to work in Connecticut. Train operating systems are configured differently depending on the area of country where they operate, according to the DOT.

Cliff Black, an Amtrak spokesman, said the locomotives became surplus when the railroad dropped out of the mail freight business in September. He said the locomotives are up to 10 years old.

The locomotives will allow the state to put into service the 26 rail coaches it bought from Virginia in September to help shore up the Connecticut-owned fleet of rail cars, which are old and prone to breakdown.

The Virginia coaches are about 10 years old and will be used primarily on the Shore Line East railroad that operates between New London and New Haven. This will allow the DOT to transfer train cars from Shore Line East to Metro-North, adding more seats to the line that runs from New Haven to New York City. That line uses rail cars that are about 30 years old, according to the DOT.

The state has an option to buy the locomotives for $12 million, Boice said. Under the terms of the deal, the state will pay $20,000 per locomotive per month after taking delivery and must act on the buy option by July 2007, he said.

When the locomotives will enter service is the big question, one Boice said he can't answer until after he receives a report from the engineers.

James Cameron, vice chairman for the Connecticut Rail Commuter Council, said the lease agreement is a step in the right direction but hopes the state will start to buy new equipment.

"We've begged, borrowed and leased used cars and locomotives to death, Cameron said.

His organization has been lobbying for new cars for Metro-North for more than five years as the old rail cars continue to break down, leaving standing-room-only during rush hours.

Boice said the DOT estimates it will cost $1.2 billion to buy 340 new rail cars and create the maintenance facilities needed to take care of them. Gov. M. Jodi Rell has said she will unveil her rail-fix plan with her budget Wednesday.

Rob Varnon, who covers business, can be reached at 330-6216.

by 7 Train

SLE service.

by DutchRailnut

So what will they do with their six excelent shape GP40-2ph 's ???????

by RedSoxSuck

Are they planning on retrofitting these things to be DMs to run into GCT? If not, I do not see what they will gain. It's not like the current SLE locos can go into GCT.

by DutchRailnut

It would be impossible to retrofit these with thirdrail gear.
the P40's are DC locomotives the Dual modes are AC propulsion locomotives and have a complete different layout.

by Supaned

Gents ,

I am visiting the New York area in the last week in March , primarily to chase the FL9s and F10s , but also I was hoping to ride behind the CDOT GP40s on SLE.

Does anybody know when the P40s will start to work ? Am I correct in saying that the crews for SLE are provided by Amtrak ? If so , I presume they are already trained on P40s thereby enably a swift entry into service.

Also , are they intended to ONLY replace the GP40s , or are there plans to use them on the Danbury and Waterbury Shuttles , thereby enabling CDOT to dispose of the FL9s?

Finally , do we know if they will be painted up in CDOT / New Haven colours ?

Cheers

Rich

by Maybrook fan

Would these units stay on the shore. Or would they wander into shuttle country, such as Danbury and upper Harlem ???

by DutchRailnut

Some of these units already have ACSES and since the units are leased I suspect they stay in Amtrak color and number.
They do need a full overhaul first , they were stored because they were due for 10 year overhaul.

by Supaned

Glad to hear they need an overhaul , that should hopefully help to Geeps last until I get there in March :-)

Tell the boys at the shops not to rush...........

Rich

by Nasadowsk

Wow, does that price include a big tube of KY for every CT taxpayer?

Option to 'buy' at 12 million for 8 poorly maintained, abused locomotives 1/2way through their useful service life, or 1.5 million a pop.

1.9 million a year for the fleet to lease.

Gee, what a bargain!

by Fred G

I'm getting used to it so you can keep that tube. I have no idea why they want these used locomotives. Are we going to see SLE trains with 30 minute headways or something?

by nh chris

I get the feeling that there was not too much available that fit MN/CDOT's needs.

I assume that the P40 Genesis locos have the same/similar dimensions to the Genesis locos that MN already uses.

Assuming that MN & CDOT could get a waiver of the old NY law prohibiting fuel-burning locos from running into the city, what obstacles would there be to using these P40s, running on diesel into GCT? That would seem to be the greatest help to the greatest need at this point.

by JayMan

Fred G wrote:I'm getting used to it so you can keep that tube. I have no idea why they want these used locomotives. Are we going to see SLE trains with 30 minute headways or something?
I wouldn't count on it. Unless the boys at CDOT have something good up their sleeves, I don't see the benefit in getting these locos right now, and not at that cost with that many issues surrounding them.

by Alcochaser

This is a silly idea. The P40DCs will be sluggish acellerators. And dont think you will be gaining horsepower. These units when providing HEP will be around 3500HP. The GPs having seperate HEP generators stay at a full 3000 to 3200HP. Amtrak also ran the hell out of these units.

On the good side I do belive that Amtrak had all the P40DCs upgraded with ASES and 9 aspect US&S cab signals however.

The P40DC units have desktop stands. I am sure the hoggers will love the loss of visibillity. The P40DC also lacks the electronic brake of the P42DC, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

By replacing the GPs you cant use them anywhere else. Unless someone can lower thier profile like the MNCR GP35s

At most you gain a unit that will fit under the wires, but cant go into GCT.

by RedSoxSuck

nh chris wrote:I get the feeling that there was not too much available that fit MN/CDOT's needs.

I assume that the P40 Genesis locos have the same/similar dimensions to the Genesis locos that MN already uses.

Assuming that MN & CDOT could get a waiver of the old NY law prohibiting fuel-burning locos from running into the city, what obstacles would there be to using these P40s, running on diesel into GCT? That would seem to be the greatest help to the greatest need at this point.
It's not only the anti diesel law in Manhattan, it's lack of vantilation in GCT. However, I do believe that it is standard practice to fire up the diesel engines when they get stuck in gaps. BUT, that is only one train every now and then, NOT every day.