Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

They are the same model.

by Alcochaser

The MNCR GP35R may look similiar to the CDOT GP40-2PH units, But the Similarity ends there.

Lets go under the hood, shall we...

The GP35R is a rebuilt GP35.
They have a Deturbocharged V16 567D engine good for 2000HP, D32 generator, and most likely a simpified electrical cabinet, as the GP35 came with a complicated Mechanical Relay setup. They have NO HEP wiring or capabillity to Generate the 480V Three Phase power needed for the coaches. They also have NO Dynamic Brakes.

The GP40-2PH is a rebuilt GP40.
The have a turbocharged V16 645E engine good for 3000 to 3200HP (give or take a few, depending on thier fuel rack settings), AR10 aleternator, and a modern solid state electrical cabinet, with pull out eaisly replaced electrical modules Further more.the hood section from a SD45 has been used to replace the GP40 hood for its larger Radiator. In the back of this unit you will find a Caterpiller Genset, its sole purpose is to provide the 480V, 3 phase power for the coaches.

They may look similar, but that is about it. At most... they may ride on the same trucks and use the same model traction motor, the D77.

by RailBus63

FWIW, I believe you will see the leased Amtrak units painted in CDOT colors. Amtrak has leased F40's before and allowed the operator to repaint those units, so I don't see an issue here.

JD

by Otto Vondrak

Paint doesn't pull passengers... I think they will be more concerned in getting the engines in good working order, first. Also- good paint isn't cheap. -otto-