• C30-S7N & CMP30-S7N

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by Centurylover68

While looking a locomotive up on my handy chart in my copy of Encyclopedia of Trains & Locomotives I saw these locomotives on their. They have the same engine,hp and # of cylinders. None sold in the U.S., just Mexico, and not in large numbers. Does anyone have any pictures or tell me why they were any different than a C30-7?

by MEC407

I'm not familiar with those models, but I would guess that they're "Super 7" units, possibly rebuilt from U30Cs. The "N" in the designation might stand for narrow gauge? Just a wild guess.

by mp15ac

The "N" stands for new. Contrary to the original Super 7 convept these units were built from entirely new components, as opposed to reusing old frames, prime movers, etc.

Stuart

by Allen Hazen

...and the "MP" stands for microprocessor -- the "Super-7" design was intended as a low-cost rebuild, and did not originally include the sort of microprocessor control of the Dash-8 line (though the wheel-slip control system, "Micro-Sentry," did incorporate a microchip). NdeM was the only large-scale custome, rebuildin a lot of their U30C, U36C, and some C30-7 (or (C36-7) into C30 super 7. They liked them enough to order new units (i.e. built on new frames) to the same design, and asked for an upgrade: their final order came with the microprocessor control.
Visually they look more like "Classic" C40-8 (or C39-8E: narrow nose with sharp corners as opposed to traditional GE "pug" nose, GE's version of a "Spartan" cab, angular radiator wingspan) than a C30-7, though there are detail spotting differrences.

by MEC407

So basically they're a C30-8?

by Allen Hazen

MEC 407 writes:
"So basically they're a C30-8?"
--
Dunno. Even with the Microprocessor control, there may be other technology differences from the Dash-8 line. (Like: the Super-7 used the GTA-24 traction alternator, and I think Dash-8 units have ??? GMG-186 ??? -- not that I know what the difference is!
The Super-7 also has an FDL engine rated at the 1967 output: 3000 hp from 16 cylinders. The "real" Dash-8 locomotives in the 3000 hp range (ten Conrail C31-8 test locomotives, three BN-lettered B32-8, and a small nmuber of production B32-8 and Amtrak B32-8WHP) had twelve cylinder engines.
But, at leasst visually... yes.