• Buffalo Drawbridges

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by apratt

Railroaded wrote:She went up the crick on Tuesday the 10th, past CSX and all the way up where the pilings for the old DL&W Drawbridge are above the Buckeye Oil Terminal on Elk St.

-B in B
This is a little off topic, but what was the facility along the DL&W ROW next to Buckeye? It appears to be a single structure made up of a wild collection of expansions and additions.

See it here:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
  by Railroaded

River Bridge was recently rebuilt (from a electronics & control standpoint) for no other reason than that the old 25 Cycle motors & controls were being taken out of service by the electric company. CSX had the motors & control system completely rebuilt to 60 "hertz" with a brand new "tower" installed over the base of the old interlocking tower that once stood at the site. Conrail had replaced "RB" tower back in the 80's after vandals burnt it to the ground with a standard trackside relay shed. The operator now has a heated & cooled control room with a view of the river & bridge with a modern control stand. I have heard rumors that both bridges could use some pretty substantial structural work, but I don't have a clue what's really involved with the underpinnings at this time with regard to stability.

Since the Buffalo River is a Federally maintained waterway, the railroad MUST maintain the bridges in working order & be able to lift them for marine traffic due to Coast Guard & Army Corps rules.

The only reference I can find on those buildings you mention lists that section of property as "Standard Oil Company" (Mobil, Exxon-Mobil, Buckeye) , so I'm guessing that it was part of the Buffalo refinery, but I'm not sure. A 1967 E-L map lists the sidings that lead into that property as "Mobil" & "Buffalo Meat"..... :-D

-B in B