Railroad Forums 

• best photo stations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#28297  by jdelgrosso

Well, I was wondering what were the best stations for railfanning where you wouldn't get busted by any cops and is lindenwold one of them?

Also, this may be off topic, but does patco allow photography of their trains?

#28312  by TAMR213

I would suggest an Amtrak station, as I belive they dont have a photography ban, so technically, the popo couldnt do jack.

#28341  by nick11a

I suggest that you go west young man. Go out west on the quiter lines where you can photograph with ease. For example, west on the Gladstone, the RVL, the Morristown, South on the NJCL etc.

#28343  by transit383

I like the Montclair-Boonton Line. Nice scenery, good photo locations, interesting trainsets.

#28348  by nick11a

transit383 wrote:I like the Montclair-Boonton Line. Nice scenery, good photo locations, interesting trainsets.
I have yet to get there for photos. Just did a through trip once from Hob to Denville. But, you're right, you never know what you're gonna get (in terms of train sets).

#28529  by trainfreak

Do any of you think it would be easier to take photos at a joint NJT/MN station like in Port Jervis?

#28555  by hsr_fan

trainfreak wrote:Do any of you think it would be easier to take photos at a joint NJT/MN station like in Port Jervis?
I was going to take a couple photos at Port Jervis recently, but the local police were heavily patrolling the station, with at least a couple of patrol cars repeatedly making the rounds near the station. So, I didn't even try.

#28556  by njt4172

trainfreak,

You can try any stations along the Port Jervis line including Suffern. Those stations are technically Metr0-North so NJT cops have no right to take your camera away or stop you from taking pictures.... Metro-north currently hasn't banned photography, but that could change....

Steve

#28589  by Mark Schweber

The Short Hills station is in a very picturesque area (lost of nice trees etc.) and gets just about every type of trainset except the Arrows converted to Comets and both diesel and electric locomotives.

Also, don't know if this makes a difference but the station is owned by the town of Milburn not NJT so is not NJT property. It is fairly frequently patrolled by Milburn police (no one wants their Mercedes or BMW broken into - a trip to the parking lot to see the best assortment of "station cars" you have ever seen is worth a trip on its own - for the record I drive a 1993 Geo Prizm) but I do not know if they would hassle photographers. I have never seen a NJT cop in the area.

#28624  by njt4172

Mark,

The station may be owned by the Town of Millburn, but the platforms are still NJT property! You would have to shoot the train from inside the westbound station for it to be legal.

Steve

#28664  by nick11a

[quote="hsr_fanI was going to take a couple photos at Port Jervis recently, but the local police were heavily patrolling the station, with at least a couple of patrol cars repeatedly making the rounds near the station. So, I didn't even try.[/quote]

I plan on getting up there when I have a free weekend this summer time. And I WILL get pictures (that's right, no one is gonna stop me), after all, this RTX is gonna cost me something like 25 bucks and will take probably 3-5 hours to get there from BH. :)

#28668  by jdelgrosso

I have never seen an NJT cop at Cherry hill or at any Atlantic city Line station except Atlantic City.

By the way, is NJT the only transit authority who has a photo policy at the time?

#28671  by duey

A number of PVL stations are original NJNY/Erie (i.e. mid to late 1800's), so they provide a very scenic element to any train photos. Get to and from can be difficult, however, due to the lack of two-way service.

#28688  by nick11a

duey wrote:A number of PVL stations are original NJNY/Erie (i.e. mid to late 1800's), so they provide a very scenic element to any train photos. Get to and from can be difficult, however, due to the lack of two-way service.
Yeah, tell me about it. :(

#28711  by chuchubob

jdelgrosso wrote:I have never seen an NJT cop at Cherry hill or at any Atlantic city Line station except Atlantic City.

By the way, is NJT the only transit authority who has a photo policy at the time?
PATH has had a no photo policy for years; they've been enforcing it since nine eleven.

A friend of mine got hassled by NJT cops and Hammonton cops in Hammonton a couple months ago. This was when the NJT cops were saying that photographing NJT from public property was forbidden. He was told that he couldn't photograph the AC train from the sidewalk.