• Anyone noticed the mess between Hamburg & Selkirk??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lakeshoredave

which trains would CSX lose? Q100, Q153, Q109, and Q110? Nothing is outlawed which is a good sign. Funny as I noticed that, Q641 went into emergency tonight when I was at Lake Ave!

Lakeshore out

by SRS125

I saw Q109 with a solid train of Empty Auto Racks last Thersday May 19
and it only had 1 empty 5 unit spline and the rest of the train was empty auto racks. The 2 Engions pulling were Union Pacific. I knew this to be Q109 becouse they stoped at MP313 for 15 minuets and they called the dispatcher. While anouther train passed around them from track 1 to 2.

by TOMT7X

[quote="SRS125"]I saw Q109 with a solid train of Empty Auto Racks last Thersday May 19

Q109?? Uh.. I got Q109 with 2 UP's.. Its a solid UPS/mixed/TOFC train.

You may have saw Q271-18 that had 2 UP's.

The Q1XX series are stack and piggyback trains. The Q2xx series are rack trains.

TOMT7X

by SRS125

these guys called in as Q109 stoped at M.P. 313 that day maybe they did not have anything to take back with them west. It dose happen on occation where they tack on outher cars on to anouther train as well. Q109 happened to be a vary short train that day with 1 5-unit spline and 60 auto racks. The video footage, and scanner recording, on the tape is more than enough proof.
  by Matt Langworthy

CSX has had no parked trains in or near Rochester lately so somebody (?) has begun working on the traffic patterns.

Will the UPS trains that CSX lost to NS have any chance of running on the Tier? Seeing UPS piggybacks back on the old EL again would be a great treat for this Elmira boy...

by Brad Smith

With 40 mph on the WNY&P and possibly less elsewhere, I'm thinking you'll need to be at Horseshoe Curve to catch them on the NS. But I'm absolutely with you on the sentiment!

etc

by Noel Weaver

CSX and the Selkirk unions have reached an agreement which should ease the mess at Selkirk. The crews will get their breaks at the option of
the yardmaster and the "watchdogs" from Jacksonville are being removed,
hopefully, the people can now do what they do best and that is to keep
Selkirk yard working.
There may still be some congestion on the Mohawk due to major track
work still taking place.
Noel Weaver

by RailBus63

If the UPS diversion remains permanent, the only real winner in this fiasco was Norfolk Southern.

JD

by videobruce

160 & 169 are to be handed off to the NS at Berea for a 'trial/test' period. This is east of Berea. They will still be on CSX west of.
Unknown how long and if others will be affected.
Still don't understand why Berea except that would mean going over the old PRR at Drawbridge.

Seneca yard probably won't open untill August. A 1st trick yardmaster, 3 receiving and 6 class tracks will be used. This is what has been in use for the past year or so now anyway so it's not much of a change. The rest of the yard is suppose to go to intermodal (not sure what decade though :wink: )

by bwparker1

Videobruce,

In your opinion was the "closing" of Seneca warranted initially, or is the reopening in response to increased traffic, better classification strategies or something else?

Just curious, thanks for the update.

Brooks

by videobruce

was the "closing" of Seneca warranted initially
No.
is the reopening in response to increased traffic
Somewhat, but mostly all the other problems.
better classification strategies
Auto traffic switching. Without it, it has to be done at Collinwood or the Bridge (Niagara Falls) or elsewhere. Frontier can't handle those long cars because that yard is too old. DeWitt's hump was closed.

It was something that looked good on paper when business dropped a couple of years ago. Business is back and no tracks...........penny wise, pound foolish. There was damage to the interior of the building, the removal of the compressors at each end of the yard which will be replaced by air lines trenched from the middle to each end and the track damage that will have to be addressed. Extra people have been brought in since now they are in a hurry to re-open it. Now, the latest is June 6th (written in pencil so it can be changed again). No different than all the sidings and xovers that were removed to save $$............ :(
Seneca was always a efficient yard especially for it's size.

A far as the Route for those UPS trains, it could also be through Rockport Yard at CP 190 and the Short Line, but still not sure.
  by Matt Langworthy

On my way to work this morning, I noticed a CSX train stopped just west of S. Winton Rd. I noticed a RR employee (?) walking on the tracks near the crossing, although I don't know if he was there to flag the it or not. A few minutes later, I heard the horn while at a gas station on Jefferson Road. Then the train slowly headed east.

Did that train stop because of a crossing signal malfunction? Or is there still congestion on CSX east of Rochester? BTW, this was approximately the same time that an eastbound CSX train used the West Shore on last Thursday.

P.S. Good point about the Tier, Brad!

by RailBus63

There is definitely still daily congestion in the Syracuse area. Trains are often parked at the state fairgrounds (sometimes on the number two main) and west of CP286 at Wegmans (usually one on the siding and one on the main). CSX will get it cleaned up for a few hours, but the trains usually clog up again within a day.

The merchandise train I spotted parked on the siding at the fairgrounds at 5:00 p.m. yesterday was still there at 7:20 this morning.

JD

by scottychaos

There was a story on the Channel 10 (Rochester) news last night..
about how Amtrak trains have been delayed between Rochester and New York City..
they had a reporter at the Amtrak station, and were interviewing Amtrak passengers..
One woman said they left at 7:00AM (or approx..I dont remember the exact time she said) and was supposed to be in NYC around 2pm.
they had a trainload of kids going to their first Yankee game, which started at 7pm.
they were stopped for hours between Utica and Albany..finally arrived in NYC at 11pm!
obviously missed the baseball game.

several people said Amtrak told them the delays were caused by "CSX track maintance"
CSX had no statement for the news report.

so they got the problem half-right, its CSX's fault.
but no one had a clue as to the real reason for the delays..

http://www.10nbc.com/index.asp?template ... y_id=15078

Scot

by sd80mac

Bruce-

what's up with Q160 and Q169. They are BACK on CSX line today.

NS cant handle them at all??

ken