• Any people have good enough photos for Railpictures.net

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by EMTRailfan

Trainman101 wrote:For you guys that have alot of photos on this site, are you using a monopod or tripod for most of your accepted photos?
I "usually" shoot freehand. Night time and distant scenic shots excluded.
  by wmmanager

Montrealrail wrote:
like,this one was recently rejected for bad cropping ???
The bottom half of the photo is nothing but boring gravel. That's where the bad cropping rejection is coming from.

Loyd L.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Here are my photos accepted to RP.net.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... C%7C%7C%7C

I started submitting to RP.net last June, but between that month and January of 2009, most of my shots weren't accepted b/c I was shooting my photos on normal setting. Once Jan came, more were accepted because I changed my image quality settings to Fine, but this month, quite a few have been getting rejected. Many say its processing, and I agree somewhat. I'm beginning to think its my memory card as I'm getting down to the wire with it. I use Picasa software, and own a D70 camera.

Here are some of my recent rejects.
  by Trainman101

Why are they like ***** when they reject comments? I wrote "Great shot, I was right there the same day!" Whats wrong with that? I also said There was a shot of a freight train on an abandond line from the 80's and i wrote "I used to watch freight on this line when i was kid, thanks for sharing". Again whats wrong with that? I guess the owners of this site dont like the average joe. It takes a half hour to x out all the pop up adds, then they reject my comments. What a site.

Edit* bad choice of words sorry.
Last edited by Trainman101 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by keeper1616

Lets keep our criticisms constructive, either about the site or about the photos that have been rejected.
  by MEC407

I think trainman101's question was fair (although I don't agree with throwing around the term "nazi"). Why do they reject some comments for no apparent reason? The same thing has happened to me. I've submitted comments like "Nice catch, great composition and lighting" and had the comment rejected. Then I've submitted similar comments on other photos and had them accepted. There must be more than one person who screens the comments, but clearly they each have different standards of what is acceptable and what's not. I think that is what bugs people... the inconsistency.
  by wmmanager

A couple of them screen comments with a higher regard to proper grammar.

Hint - check your comma usage :)

Loyd L.
  by MEC407

CSX wrote:It help me when i paid for a membership to the site. They have accepted alot more of my photos since i did that.
Interesting. Their paid membership page has the following disclaimer:
RPElite membership, however, does not entitle a user to any sort of preferential photo screening or photo acceptance. Photos submitted by RPElite members will continue to be screened as per our photo submission guidelines.
  by wmmanager

MEC407 wrote:
CSX wrote:It help me when i paid for a membership to the site. They have accepted alot more of my photos since i did that.
RPElite membership, however, does not entitle a user to any sort of preferential photo screening or photo acceptance. Photos submitted by RPElite members will continue to be screened as per our photo submission guidelines.
What's even more interesting is that the screeners can't tell who are paying members, and who aren't when they screen photos.

Here's what the screening page looks like:
http://forums.railpictures.net/attachme ... 1180979074

It's very possible that a photographer increased their acceptance rate by improving his / her photography. I think in this case, somebody is on a fishing expedition. :)

Loyd L.
  by Trainman101

wmmanager wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
What's even more interesting is that the screeners can't tell who are paying members, and who aren't when they screen photos.

Here's what the screening page looks like:
http://forums.railpictures.net/attachme ... 1180979074

It's very possible that a photographer increased their acceptance rate by improving his / her photography. I think in this case, somebody is on a fishing expedition. :)

Loyd L.
If it is too be 100% fair process the screener should not be able to see the name of the photographer, otherwise he/she may lean towards accpeting the photo just because this person has alot of photos already on the site. It looks like the screener can see the name in the link(i believe its been blacked out). If you guys want to make a fair site maybe you should not be able to see the name during the screening process, otherwise it wont be 100% fair. Just trying to keep the fishing 100% , not 90%.
  by mxdata

Maybe I don't fully appreciate their site, but I just don't see anything very exciting about having your photos displayed in the middle of so much junk advertising and clutter. :(

MX
  by styckx

mxdata wrote:Maybe I don't fully appreciate their site, but I just don't see anything very exciting about having your photos displayed in the middle of so much junk advertising and clutter. :(

MX
^ This is why I don't share my photos anywhere except on a forum with some other enthusiasts and only a quarter of what I shoot is online. Some are good, some bad. I like sharing with just normal everyday rail fans who not necessarily care about if you got exposure, saturation, white balance, blah blah blah correct, all they care about is what you spotted. Quality helps but in the end it's really all about the rolling stock you shoot and just having fun. I go out to shoot cause I love photography in general but it's really just about watching the trains in the end. To me, anyone who can get a shot semi decent of a moving train is aces in my book. Unlike scenery where you can spend all day adjusting settings etc, with trains you have from a split second, to a few seconds to make an adjustment or the train is out of the shot you wanted. I shoot in RAW format all the time and develop it later, or never :)

And sometimes, while shooting trains, you find other stuff to shoot along the way :)

And while we are sharing. One of my favorite Acela shots @ Hamilton Station

by MEC407

Anyone who thinks that RailPictures' standards are too strict should try to get a shot accepted at their sister site, JetPhotos.net. They have about 20 pages worth of guidelines that you have to meet, in order for a photo to be accepted. RailPictures is a piece of cake in comparison!