Railroad Forums 

• Any people have good enough photos for Railpictures.net

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#346833  by alex45

I tried before to take pics for railpictures.net. They say they only accept the best. I have came close to it a few times. But it got rejected because they said it was too dark. If it was lighter it would gotten accepted. But w\e. Ill keep trying. Has anyone ever gotten their photos uploaded to the data base? If so, give me an email cause I want learn about your ways on how you do ur photography. Like give me some advice. Ill send u some pictures and then u can give me some suggestions on how I can improve on it.

#346935  by keeper1616

Why don't you sign up for a flickr account, or post them to rrpicturearchive and then give us the links and we can all give you tips on how to improve your photos.

railpictures.net can be very picky, but in some ways I think that its a good thing. From my experience, every picture I take gets edited somewhat in photoshop before being submitted anywhere. It could be just the white balance that is a little off, or a part of the picture is blown out, but both can be fixed with good results.

Keep trying and you'll make it sooner or later!!

#347412  by pgengler

You'll find plenty of people who will complain about some of the arbitrary "standards" that RP has for photos; I'm not nearly as vocal as some, but I certainly have my complaints about it. There's a great editorial about one of the RP-equivalent sites for aviation spotting, which is basically about some people are losing sight of the fun of the hobby by being so intent on taking photos to upload to those sites.

The same is true for Railpictures. I think it's nice that they have some standards¹, but I've taken a few pictures that I know are good pictures, and I've submitted them to RP and had them rejected. After a while, I realized I didn't care; the photo is good whether or not it's uploaded to RP, and while it's not going to see the same level of traffic by being up on my own site or rrpicturearchives, it's not going to hurt me at all. I've taken to looking it at it as RP's loss when they reject my photos, and that's helped me in that when I go out, I take the photo I want, not the photos I think RP would want.

I happen to have high standards for my own shots, and I end up "throwing away" a LOT of the shots I take (some because they're not good, some because I usually shoot in bursts), but I don't feel driven to take a "RP shot" every time I hit the shutter release.

Anyhow, these are the half-dozen shots I've gotten accepted at RP. Two of actually surprised me when they were accepted; see if you can guess which ones!

¹ I've seen a couple of shots on RP that have made me wonder "what the f--- were the screeners thinking?", but all in all, there are a lot of nice shots there. I compare it to an open-upload site like rrpicturearchives, where there are a ton of, frankly, crap shots, with some real gems mixed in there. There are certain people who upload only good shots to rrpicturearchives, and there are some (lots?) of people who dump all of their photos there, regardless of how bad they may be. I've seen a lot of photos where the photographer has upload a photo & put in the information about the locomotive (which I may be looking for good pictures of), but the photo is dark and the locomotive is on the far end of a train, where you can barely see it. I've seen lots of way-too-dark photos, lots of blurry photos, lots of overexposed photos and lots of photos with poor lighting. I happen to think that RP's standards are a bit too high, and they end up rejecting lots of good photos for silly reasons, but it's MUCH more enjoyable to look through the new photos there than at rrpicturearchives.

#347414  by Otto Vondrak

Alex, no one can tell you how to be a good photographer. We may be able to give you pointers on how to better use your camera, but over time, you will learn what makes a "good photo" and what does not.

And BTW, it's not always what Railpictures accepts. In fact, if you have a photo, and you like it, that should be good enough. Don't worry about living up to other people's standards. Is a photo "great" because it made the cover of a magzine? the home page of RAILROAD.NET? or framed on your wall?

Of course, that's not to say that there are not TECHNICAL standards for lighting and focus. No one wants to see a dark, blurry photo of anything.

Keep that in mind.

-otto-

#352819  by Steve F45

i only have 9 pics uploaded. Probably close to over 100 rejected, some that were deserving since i didnt know about the standards when i first uploaded. quiet a few were debateable, but whatever. I just upload them all to rrpicturearchives.net anyway.

Here is 1 of my favorites.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=155666

#368690  by Conrail4evr

Sorry to pop in so late here...

I have to agree, I wouldn't fret over Railpictures.net. Some of my best shots aren't on there, yet some of my worst are. All it is, is a group of other railfans nitpicking at your pictures, accepting what THEY like, what THEY think is a good photo. Is that all your photography is about - to make some seemingly unknown face on the internet happy?

I take photos to make myself happy at times - my photographer side - and at other times, I just shoot wedgies of rare power going by - my railfan side coming out. By far my favorite photo of time doesn't even have a train in it: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=172158

Just shoot to make yourself happy, don't worry about anyone else.

#369495  by gprimr1

I have one or two on RP.net. I have a few more I plan to upload but I need to get quality scans of them.

#373275  by OCtrainguy

I currently have 79 photos on Railpictures.net, though like many here have already said, way more rejected photos than I can readily count.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3924

I recently have hit a dry spell myself, and have read elsewhere that their standards were tightened recently. (I do have a roughly twelve month lag time on scanning my photos right now.) When I photograph I don't worry about about what others may think, I do it because I enjoy the hobby.

I had a photograph that I took at Cresson, PA of an eastbound mixed freight at ten o'clocking in the morning on July 6, 2006 rejected because the sun was too high. It wouldn't stop me from photographing trains the rest of the day!!

#373333  by conrail71

I have never posted to any RR websites except railroad.net and my own. I prefer being rejected by the print media like Railpace. :wink:

#378697  by hailster

I have one picture on RP.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=180448

Looking at it I'm wondering how I managed to get it approved but I guess that the screeners must have been in a good mood that day or something.

I did have to touch it up in photoshop. The only thing I'll do to a picture in photoshop is sharpen it up or adjust the saturation etc.

So far I have had three or four rejections, but like other people have said even though they have been rejected I still think they are good shots.

#393991  by EMTRailfan

Alex,

Leave your camera at home once or twice and see if you have just as much enjoyment. Like everyone else has said here, don't try to please someone else. You shoot because YOU like the shot.

Occasionally I leave my camera at home to just watch the trains and forget about "photography". Although it is nice to see your work somewhere that has been judged by someone else to get there (it's all a matter of the screeners' opinions), that is not what railfanning is about.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=14065

#397042  by Orgnoi1

Otto Vondrak wrote:And BTW, it's not always what Railpictures accepts. In fact, if you have a photo, and you like it, that should be good enough. Don't worry about living up to other people's standards. Is a photo "great" because it made the cover of a magzine? the home page of RAILROAD.NET? or framed on your wall?

Of course, that's not to say that there are not TECHNICAL standards for lighting and focus. No one wants to see a dark, blurry photo of anything.

Keep that in mind.

-otto-
Very sound advice... I work as a staff photographer for a railroad... and I have had very FEW pictures make it on RP... after a few futile attempts I gave up...