• Any Amtrak HO 40th Anniverrsary releases?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by B44NYC

Hi everyone,
Has anyone heard through the grapevine if any of the HO manufacturers (Walthers, Athearn, Bachmann, etc.) are going to release anything (passenger cars, locomotives) to commencerate Amtrak's 40th Anniversary?
I just spotted on eBay someone from Germany selling an older Athearn blue box AMD-103, repainted with the Phase I pointless arrow.

Thanks for any info
  by timberley

I haven't heard anything official, but I expect that Athearn will likely do the P42 heritage schemes. I would expect we'll see them in the "Athearn Collectibles" line, as opposed to ordinary RTR (no real difference, besides the packaging...). Despite being one-of-a-kind models, these sorts of schemes do generally sell well, as lots of people will go for them for the novelty, even if just to have on display. Seeing as Athearn is doing each of the UP heritage SD70ACe's, and has done other special schemes (like some bicentennial locos), it seems likely.

One question though is Walthers...given that they could likely do the passenger cars (I'm not sure what is going to be used for the "Anniversary tour train" or whatever its being called), and the F40 (although the repainted F40 is a cabbage, Walthers might try to do a normal powered one anyway as a stand-in), they may try to do something like they did with the Phase Vb scheme, and arrange exclusive rights on the heritage schemes in HO. In that case, we would still see heritage P42s from Athearn, but as a special "Walthers exclusive" run like the Phase Vb has been.

In N scale, Kato has done heritage SD70ACes as well, so it seems a good chance that we'll see heritage P42s. Kato also has their F40, so they may also be inclined to do a stand-in F40 for the anniversary painted cabbage.

That's all my speculation though. It just seems logical, by my thought, but I don't know when we might see any of this actually happen.
  by B44NYC

I would hope Athearn would do a Heritage "Collectible" addition of the P40 & P42, like the re-release of the Phase V's coming out in Oct.

Maybe Walthers will do a "Cabbage" in heritage colors in a "Trainline" release, but its getting late in the season for an anouncement if they going to do it.

Question: Not familiar with licensing, but do manufacturers (Bachmann, Atlas, etc.) have to get a license or permission for a release or re-release of their product, same locomotive/passenger car/freight car?
  by ApproachMedium

The repainted F40 is not a cabbage, it was a used VRE F40 without the guts because the engine was shot. It now has a HEP pony motor installed so its not totally useless.

The guy in germany has a few of these undec models he has been painting. I bought his original 145 that was painted up back in Feb. If you ask him nicely I am sure he would be willing to do one for you. And when you get it back to the states you can send it to me for DCC lighting and sound! Mine should be done soon and will be on display in Washington DC for National Train Day.
  by timberley

ApproachMedium wrote:The repainted F40 is not a cabbage, it was a used VRE F40 without the guts because the engine was shot. It now has a HEP pony motor installed so its not totally useless.
Speaking of that F40, does anyone know where I could find photos? I know it was released, and there WAS a video on Youtube, but the guy deleted his channel. I haven't been able to find any other photos (hence my not being clear that it wasn't a cabbage).
  by ApproachMedium

I have not been able to find any. The video was removed most likely by managment pressuring the employee over recent electronics use policy and the fra. I have seen the video and can confirm it is a true f40
  by Amtrak207

Hey ApproachMedium, what do you use for sound?

Back on topic, I believe you will definitely see the Heritage Phases done, whether it is Athearn stand alone or Walthers/Athearn. Now if only Athearn would upgrade this model to their GENESIS line! :)

-Tom
  by Steve F45

And its a blue box model probably without dcc or individual lights and no details. Makes me want to strip one of my superdetailed P40's and paint it to this scheme.
  by ApproachMedium

I only use tsunami sound for diesel, and loksound for steam. This will have a tsuanmi fdl 16. The ones being sold on ebay from germany are not dcc ready at all.
  by DutchRailnut

correct it was a used blue box model, no frills or DCC or sound.
  by B44NYC

$415 for a Blue Box AMD-103?? If someone was to repaint a OMI brass AMD-103, they might make a small fortune!!
  by ApproachMedium

Thers idiots paying two grand for iPad twos, as PT Barnum once said.....
  by Cadet57

Just think how foolish the person who paid $415 for a blue box model will feel if/when Athearn releases them in their Genesis line. :P
  by ApproachMedium

Lol I only paid 200 for mine. Pays to buy direct. To me it was worth it since I got it in time to install dcc and sound and to display it on national train day in DC!