• Any Amtrak HO 40th Anniverrsary releases?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by mlrr

Given that this is the 40th anniversary of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak), as of April 7, 2011, less than a month before Amtrak officially turns 40, I find it a bit disheartening that none of our manufacturers have taken the opportunity to seize the moment in some unique way.

So far, it seems as if KATO is the only manufacturer to acknowledge this milestone with its first-time release of N scale Viewliners and Amfleet II cars in addition to baggage cars, etc. I began thinking of this when I saw their most recent add in MRR Magazine in which they announced/advertised the release of Amtrak F units and phase I heritage fleet cars as well as a "Rainbow Fleet" set (paying homage to Amtrak's beginnings when it inherited equipment from railroads that had turned passenger operations over to them) in N scale "commemorating" Amtrak's 40th Anniversary.

I acknowledge the fact that some manufacturers have Amtrak products on their way in 2011 or have already been delivered.

Atlas is releasing an MP15 in phase V as well as the Dash 8s in the "Pepsi Can" scheme

and

Walthers is doing another release of the Phase V AMD-103s.

The problem with these is that none of these releases are of any significance with respect to Amtrak's 40th. These models in some way or another have been released before (excluding Atlas' phase V MP15 which was done in a different Amtrak scheme in a prior release, so I'm not sure if that should count or not).

Hopefully I'm speaking too soon but we're almost approaching the half-way mark for 2011 and I have yet to see any sign of a "major" announcement with regard to Amtrak equipment such as Walthers announcing the release of Amtrak Surfliners or California Cars but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon any time soon. Another appropriate thing would have been the announcement of completely re-tooled Amfleets w/ metal plating, etc., or re-tooled Viewliners with Metal plating and interiors, etc.

Some may ask how are these products any different from what I listed above. The difference is that the products listed do not require any significant re-tooling (some may disagree about the AMD-103) as they were done well by the manufacturer. Announcing a new Amtrak product would be preferable but there is room in some areas for improvement in existing models and I think these improvements (if done well) will be well received.

It is worthy of mentioning that most Amtrak equipment has been manufactured (most of the rollingstock has been done by Walthers and very well I might add) and I applaud all the manufactures who have stepped up and made these models available (Especially for Atlas making the AEM7s available, making modern NEC operations possible). I've done my "due diligence" and invested in these products.

I'm giving decal makers some slack as it appears they've needed to play catch up. From what I can tell, it seems as if Amtrak may have been somewhat secretive as to its anniversary schemes up until their debut (they announced the schemes but it doesn't seem like they wanted to leak the appearance to the public prior to their debut). As a result, I understand that decal makers essentially have a late start and I'm unsure as to how realistic it is to get these products available with the remaining months in 2011. I always assumed that its quicker to bring decals to market than actual rollingstock and motive power.

In any case, I hope I've conveyed where my head is with regard to my post. This does not serve as a bashing session. If anything, consider it constructive criticism but nothing with malicious intent.

I give KATO two thumbs up for outright acknowledging our National Passenger Railroad's 40th anniversary through its product releases (even though its in a different scale than mine) and hope that other manufactures have a 2011 surprise up their sleeve while there's still time left.

Perhaps one or some of the manufacturers are waiting until May 1, 2011 to at least make some sort of "big announcement"...?

For those who care, keep your fingers crossed :)
  by AMTK1007

timberley wrote:I haven't heard anything official, but I expect that Athearn will likely do the P42 heritage schemes. I would expect we'll see them in the "Athearn Collectibles" line,
The "Athearn Collectables" line boxes indicate items run as a special run under contract for someone, not normal Athearn cataloged items... Be It a railroad, a Historical Society, Walthers ( the last run of P42's came in that box) etc.
  by mlrr

I read in Trains Magazine that the museum train has retail items which include Walthers items made exclusively for Amtrak. That's all it said. I'm not sure what that means in terms of something new and unique or more of the same (i.e. phase IVb Superliners or Phase V P42s as opposed to a specially painted F40).
  by ApproachMedium

Most likely it is all off the shelf items for now. I dont think we have gotten anything that snuck thru the production pipeline in any special of fancy schemes.
  by B44NYC

Just announced.

Walthers is going to re-release the Proto 2000 Amtrak E8A's with new road numbers in standard DC and with DCC & Sound (possibly with Tsunami Sound?)

I suspect next to be release are retooled Amtrak phase I Budd cars with a plated finish & pre-installed grab-irons.
  by Otto Vondrak

B44NYC wrote:Just announced.

Walthers is going to re-release the Proto 2000 Amtrak E8A's with new road numbers in standard DC and with DCC & Sound (possibly with Tsunami Sound?)
Cool! Have a link to the announcement?

-otto-
  by B44NYC

No link or picture is posted yet, but look under the new product annoucements on Walthers' website for April 2011 under Locomotives. An E8 with DCC/Tsunami Sound MSRP $299.98, standard DC is listed as $199.98.

I would hope those prices come down at the LHS. Walthers also announced a 10% price increase.
  by Cadet57

B44NYC wrote:No link or picture is posted yet, but look under the new product annoucements on Walthers' website for April 2011 under Locomotives. An E8 with DCC/Tsunami Sound MSRP $299.98, standard DC is listed as $199.98.

I would hope those prices come down at the LHS. Walthers also announced a 10% price increase.
the $199/299 price has been where locos have been priced for at least a year now. Its not a bad price imo. Not that I can afford them, but for what you get I think its a decent value.
  by ns3010

Walthers E-Update Newsletter wrote: Amtrak is about to celebrate its 40th Birthday... blah blah blah... Keep checking walthers.com for exciting Amtrak products and news.
Could they be hinting at something, or am I reading too deeply into this?
  by mlrr

ns3010 wrote:
Walthers E-Update Newsletter wrote: Amtrak is about to celebrate its 40th Birthday... blah blah blah... Keep checking walthers.com for exciting Amtrak products and news.
Could they be hinting at something, or am I reading too deeply into this?
Perhaps! Maybe on May 1st they'll announce something major...
  by ApproachMedium

Doubt it... but I will let anyone know if anything interesting shows up in the display cars in DC on NTD. For now if anyone would like to see the HO phase 1 and 2 units on display they will be operating on May 7th NTD at the operating layout section in Washington DC. And no, im not the idiot that bid $400 for it on ebay lol.
  by acelaphillies

HUGE HO Amtrak announcement!!!

I was just looking at the Amtrak store, Walthers and Athearn will be producing the following models in HO scale for Amtrak:

1. Amtrak P42DC #156 Phase I-produced by Athearn and Walthers, and is offered exclusively through Amtrak

2. Amtrak P42DC #66 Phase II-produced by Athearn and Walthers, and is offered exclusively through Amtrak

3. Amtrak P40DC #822 Phase III-produced by Athearn and Walthers, and is offered exclusively through Amtrak (Exhibit train)

4. EMD F40PH #406 Phase III (Exhibit train)

5. 73" Baggage Car Phase III (Exhibit train)

6. 85' 10-6 Sleeper Phase III (Exhibit train)

7. Food Service Phase III (Exhibit train)

8. 73' Baggage Car Phase IVb

9. 1700 Baggage Car Phase IVb

10. 85' Grill Diner Phase IVb

11. 85' Sleeper Phase IVb

12. Amfleet I - Food Service Phase IVb (with NORTHEAST REGIONAL DECAL!!!)

13. Amfleet I - Coach Phase IVb

14. Amfleet II-Food Phase IVb

15. Amfleet II-Coach Phase IVb

They are scheduled to come out November 2011!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9LTnzNQBg
http://store.amtrak.com/ProductList.aspx?did=5552