• Amtrak Palmetto Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

electricron wrote:
jp1822 wrote:The Vermonter runs it 12+ hour route with Amfleet I's. Course I always try to book business class for the extra room. Although the train has turnover enroute, there are still many "Vermonters" who travel from northern Vermont all the way to Washington DC or nearly so. And then passengers have to sit through the directional change at Palmer Jct.
True, 12 hours with Amfleet I's must be very discomfortable. But how far does the average rider travel on both those trains? Do some only ride to Albany, from the north or south?
I can answer the question of how many folks ride the Vermonter to Albany.

I suspect you're confusing the Vermonter, which starts in Washington and goes to Montpelier via the Connecticut River with the Ethan Allen which starts in New York City and ends in Rutland and travels via the Hudson River.
  by electricron

Greg Moore wrote:I can answer the question of how many folks ride the Vermonter to Albany.

I suspect you're confusing the Vermonter, which starts in Washington and goes to Montpelier via the Connecticut River with the Ethan Allen which starts in New York City and ends in Rutland and travels via the Hudson River.
Sorry, I didn't notice at first glance that Amtrak posted both train's timetables on the same pdf.
So, to maintain my earlier argument with the correct data.......

The entire distance between D.C. and St. Albans is 611 track miles, although longer than the average distance travel by Palmetto passengers, still far less than its full 829 miles. I still wonder what the average distance traveled by Vermonter passengers? Substituting New York City ifor Albany as the mid-point city; DC to NYC being 253 track miles, and St.A to NYC being 385 track miles, their average of 319 track miles will probably be closer to the maximum amount (I'm suggesting between 179-319 average passenger miles is most likely). 319 average passenger miles is still far lower than the 450 average passenger miles for the Palmetto.
  by ThirdRail7

electricron wrote:
Sorry, I didn't notice at first glance that Amtrak posted both train's timetables on the same pdf.
So, to maintain my earlier argument with the correct data.......

The entire distance between D.C. and St. Albans is 611 track miles, although longer than the average distance travel by Palmetto passengers, still far less than its full 829 miles. I still wonder what the average distance traveled by Vermonter passengers? Substituting New York City ifor Albany as the mid-point city; DC to NYC being 253 track miles, and St.A to NYC being 385 track miles, their average of 319 track miles will probably be closer to the maximum amount (I'm suggesting between 179-319 average passenger miles is most likely). 319 average passenger miles is still far lower than the 450 average passenger miles for the Palmetto.
That's nice. Out of curiosity, what does any of this have to do with someone asking why the Palmetto had an Amfleet 1 consist and its not even the Palmetto?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Sun May 13, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by electricron

ThirdRail7 wrote:That's nice. Out of curiosity, what does any of this have to do with someone asking why the Palmetto had an Amfleet 1 consist and its not even the Palmetto?
Excellent question. I was responding to someone else who introduced the Vermonter into this thread about the Palmetto. Don't blame me for any possible hijacking.
  by jstolberg

electricron wrote:The entire distance between D.C. and St. Albans is 611 track miles, although longer than the average distance travel by Palmetto passengers, still far less than its full 829 miles. I still wonder what the average distance traveled by Vermonter passengers? Substituting New York City ifor Albany as the mid-point city; DC to NYC being 253 track miles, and St.A to NYC being 385 track miles, their average of 319 track miles will probably be closer to the maximum amount (I'm suggesting between 179-319 average passenger miles is most likely). 319 average passenger miles is still far lower than the 450 average passenger miles for the Palmetto.
According to data available from the National Association of Rail Passengers, http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uplo ... ains08.pdf the average distance traveled by Vermonter passengers in 2008 was 290 miles and the top two city pairs were NYP to White River Jct., VT (262 mi) and NYP to Brattleboro VT (199 mi). The NARP used to have data for 2010, but it seems to have dropped off their website. They list the average trip on the Palmetto at 440 miles in 2008 and the top two city pairs were NYP to Charleston, SC (728 mi) and NYP to Fayetteville, NC (550 mi).
  by ryanov

I rode the Palmetto a couple of months ago. True they bunch people together in cars with like destinations, but it certainly appeared leaving Newark that most people were traveling for many hours (8+).
  by Jeff Smith

Will be taking the Palmetto DC-SAV connecting via 67 (what's the old train name for that one?) from STM-DC.

Any thoughts on where to sit, what side, type of consist, dining, etc.? I plan on napping for the most part on 67.
  by ThirdRail7

Jeff Smith wrote:Will be taking the Palmetto DC-SAV connecting via 67 (what's the old train name for that one?) from STM-DC.

Any thoughts on where to sit, what side, type of consist, dining, etc.? I plan on napping for the most part on 67.
67 was the Night Owl until they extended it to NPN. Once that occurred, it became the Twilight Shoreliner. When it comes to seating on 67, your options are limited. It basically has 4 AM1, a split cafe (business/table) and baggage car consist. If the train is packed, it is packed and there's not much you can do about it. On weekdays, the closer to Washington you get, the more people will be on board. Most of your trip on 67 will be under the cover of darkness, so which side to sit on will not be an issue.

As for 89, it usually has a baggage car, full business class, table cafe, AM1 for locals and 3 AM2 for the long hauls. It is likely that you'll end up in the very last car since you're boarding at DC. I've never been south of RVR ( I made a left to NPN) so I can't advise which side of the train provides the best views.

Food choices are limited to cafe service on both trains so my thoughts are bring a little cooler for beverages and a few sandwiches, eat before you board 67 at STM and have a major breakfast while you're laying over in Washington DC. This way, you can limit your usage of the Cafe Car.

Hey, I'm being honest. :)

Have a good trip.
  by Jeff Smith

Seems like good news: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/233/836/New ... 074%20.pdf
WASHINGTON – Starting Oct. 3, Amtrak is establishing two new Thruway bus service routes to Eastern North Carolina, one serving the communities of Greenville, New Bern, Havelock and Morehead City, and a second serving Goldsboro, Kinston, Jacksonville and Wilmington. Both routes will connect with the Amtrak Palmetto train service at the Amtrak Station in Wilson, N.C.
“The new Thruway bus services are an important connection that will bring Amtrak passengers to Eastern North Carolina communities and provide expanded transportation options for the people in the region,” said Amtrak President & CEO Joe Boardman.
PDF announcement attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Station Aficionado

IIRC, these were part of the PIP that came out last fall for the Silver Service trains (which include the Palmetto). Other than adding a stop or two for thruways in FL, I don't know that any of the other proposed improvements for the Silver trains, the Crescent or the LSL have yet come to fruition. Also, I think the last set of PIPs (SWC, EB, CS, CNO, TE, I think) are due soon.
  by twropr

On Mon. Nov. 19 PALMETTO #90 was delayed departing Savannah, allegedly due to its locomotive derailing. A locomotive was cut off SILVER METEOR #97 to pull #90. Does anyone have any more details?

Andy
Jacksonville, FL
  by 25Hz

That's a pretty long trip for a lone gennie on the silver meteor. Hope it has no issues.
  by Tadman

The Eagle and CNO run regularly to NOL and DAL with one unit - not as bad as you think.
  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:The Eagle and CNO run regularly to NOL and DAL with one unit - not as bad as you think.
Oh i know they can do it, just good to have insurance on those heavier faster consists. :)
  by Jeff Smith

Update on usage: Havelock News

Doesn't seem like a whole lot. Maybe a better idea would be a smaller airport shuttle type vehicle.
About a dozen per day using Amtrak bus service

About a dozen riders a day are using a new bus service that connects riders in the Havelock area to Amtrak rail lines in Wilson, according to an Amtrak official.

The service was established in early October and links Morehead City, Havelock, New Bern and Greenville to Amtrak train connections in Wilson where riders can then travel across the country using the rail network.

Christina Leeds, media relations representative from Amtrak, said 357 passengers used the bus route from Morehead City to Wilson in December, which is an average of 11.5 passengers per day. Leeds said she was unable to break down specifically how many riders took the bus from Havelock as compared to any other city on the route.

Amtrak’s other Eastern North Carolina bus route from Wilmington to Wilson, which serves Jacksonville and Kinston, had 355 passengers in December.