• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jishnu

Here is a radical idea.....

If LIRR frees up tow or three tracks in the West Side Yard, they should convert that space into a two track station named "Javits Center" and simply run say two or three trains an hour through to it. That would be more useful than NJT trying to shuffle its trains into that yard after crossing over the main throat of the station.

by E-44

The room is there along 30th St. to run two tracks up from the new tunnel, east along the south side of the yard and into the proposed A-F tracks. No cross-plant move needed. They'd either switch end and run back into the new tunnel or straight back into the LIRR yard on a new lead. Manageable, even with short headways. The high line would need to go, though.
  by E-44

The worst may be yet to come when the sportswriters are screaming about it. Next up: Station naming rights. How's Cablevision Station sound to you?

The New York Times
With the Dolans Involved, Expect More Ugliness

By GEORGE VECSEY
Published: July 15, 2007
Just wonderful. Now it turns out that the friendly folks from Madison Square Garden, who have enough trouble qualifying the Knicks and the Rangers among the top 16 teams in their leagues, are glomming in on the dream for a new Pennsylvania Station.

Full story

by DutchRailnut

ahh but since its not built by Pennsylvania railroad can it still be called Pennsylvania station???
nope thats why its Mohnihan station.

by E-44

The Dolans want digital, animated billboards above the Eighth Ave. entrances as well as the Madison Square Garden name displayed. They want the stamp windows inside the Eighth Ave. lobby to sell MSG tickets. The station's passengers will be shunted to the mid-block entrances on 31st and 33rd streets.

Duck Folan! (as the T-shirts say)

by F3A

DutchRailnut wrote:ahh but since its not built by Pennsylvania railroad can it still be called Pennsylvania station???
nope thats why its Mohnihan station.
But is wasn't built by Moynihan either.......

by DutchRailnut

it was his idea to use farley building, only thing left of Pennsylvania station these days is the sewer used to put the track and choo choo's in.

by E-44

Thinking about it, there really will be three "stations:"

The Pit (present location)
The Bat Cave (the 34th St. cavern)
The Farley/Moynihan/Gare d'Joisey

The Pit will be mainly Amtrak and LIRR
The Bat Cave will be 100% NJT
The Farley/Moynihan/Gare d'Joisey will have NJT as its largest tenant

Somewhere, I think New Jersey has to get some props in these naming games. All we ever got was Harrison A. Williams MetroPark (named for a convicted felon) and Frank Lautenberg Secaucus station (It's in Secaucus, so who cares?).

by DutchRailnut

Joisey folk naming New York property ??? they should be glad we let them make money in this state, now they want input ????

by E-44

DutchRailnut wrote:Joisey folk naming New York property ??? they should be glad we let them make money in this state, now they want input ????
ROFL! We are the Rodney Dangerfields of the commuting world. We don't get no respect!
  by Murjax

I have read about this project from here and I was wondering if anything is being done as far as this is concerned because I think this is really needed but I haven't heard anything else about it except from this site. What is up with this?
  by jp1822

Talk, talk and more talk. See it to believe it when it comes to this station project and increasing track/tunnel capacity between Newark and New York.
  by GeorgeF

jp1822 wrote:Talk, talk and more talk.
Indeed! More here and here.

by Irish Chieftain

What is up with this?
Whatever it may turn out to be, it has nothing to do with Amtrak at this point. After turning away from Amtrak, they have been trying to coax NJ Transit into leasing the area. You ask me, the place should have been left as a post office. It's like buying out the post office across Market Street in Philly and trying to get NJT to take it as an alternate concourse in 30th Street to Amtrak and SEPTA (but on a different scale, of course—that is, so long as there is but one commuter line in south Jersey to Philly).

by acs85

As I understand it, NJT is more than willing to rent what will probably be a beautiful space that it doesn't have to pay to refurbish. (I think the rent will be something like $9-10 mil/yr).

As a New Jersey taxpayer and a regular NJT rider, I say the sooner we move in, the better.