• Amtrak Hiawatha Discussion: Chicago - Milwaukee and Possible Extensions

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Otto Vondrak

I remember my two trips on the Hi to be largely uneventful. Riding in a Horizon coach was like being back on Metro-North. I did appreciate that the trains were quick and clean, and kept good time. Scenery was boring. I left something on board the train, and the conductor (At his own expense) mailed it to me (had my address in there). So I'd say the service was excellent.
  by Met113

Otto Vondrak wrote:I remember my two trips on the Hi to be largely uneventful. Riding in a Horizon coach was like being back on Metro-North. I did appreciate that the trains were quick and clean, and kept good time. Scenery was boring. I left something on board the train, and the conductor (At his own expense) mailed it to me (had my address in there). So I'd say the service was excellent.
Yeah, the scenery up until the suburbs of Chicago is pretty boring. If you've seen one farm, you've seen them all. Haha, Marty (I think his name) the flamboyant service attendant was onboard and was frequently in my car. That was interesting....
  by george matthews

I once made that trip by bus. Another time in the train. I was coming both times from Wausau.

Both times I was going to take the train from Chicago. On the bus, as the road became blocked with traffic and the delays mounted up I became acutely worried that I was going to miss the train (Capitol). On the train, a few years later I felt entirely relaxed and had plenty of time to get the train (Lake Shore to Buffalo).

I have no idea what kind of carriage I was in but the speed seemed adequate. No doubt the line could be speeded up.
  by Ken S.

On item 1, I saw a video on YouTube that had a couple of Amfleet IIs mixed into a Hiawatha consist.
  by EricL

The paint scheme on that 90230 is something different, but let me tell you, I bet that white paint was actually white before it came to Chicago... :-)

Did you take #330 down? It follows Metra #2112 roughly from Glenview on in (longer if they're running late). The OTP of this train is almost completely dependent on the OTP of 2112. 2114 isn't too far behind 330, either. Metra really puts on a parade during the rush hour and there's not much that can be done to speed it up. Everyone has their slot, their turn, yada yada yada.

#339 is the same way, it follows #2133 outbound all the way to tower A-20 (Northbrook-ish) or Deerfield, depending on the dispatcher. 2135 is right on 339's heels most of the way, too.

I don't know why the Amfleet cars magically showed up, but I like it. Nice and dark and quiet to sleep in while I deadhead.

Interesting that you note rough track. Most of the rail on the line is pretty smooth. There are significant sections of jointed rail on No. 1 main, which are bumpy, but southward (eastward) trains normally travel on No. 2. I understand that the jointed rail is scheduled to be replaced this summer with CWR.

Finally, as for Marty... ride the trains enough and you'll learn to like him. Ha!
  by Met113

EricL wrote:The paint scheme on that 90230 is something different, but let me tell you, I bet that white paint was actually white before it came to Chicago... :-)

Did you take #330 down? It follows Metra #2112 roughly from Glenview on in (longer if they're running late). The OTP of this train is almost completely dependent on the OTP of 2112. 2114 isn't too far behind 330, either. Metra really puts on a parade during the rush hour and there's not much that can be done to speed it up. Everyone has their slot, their turn, yada yada yada.

#339 is the same way, it follows #2133 outbound all the way to tower A-20 (Northbrook-ish) or Deerfield, depending on the dispatcher. 2135 is right on 339's heels most of the way, too.

I don't know why the Amfleet cars magically showed up, but I like it. Nice and dark and quiet to sleep in while I deadhead.

Interesting that you note rough track. Most of the rail on the line is pretty smooth. There are significant sections of jointed rail on No. 1 main, which are bumpy, but southward (eastward) trains normally travel on No. 2. I understand that the jointed rail is scheduled to be replaced this summer with CWR.

Finally, as for Marty... ride the trains enough and you'll learn to like him. Ha!
I was on 332 down and 339 back. The rough rail section was just after I left Milwaukee. It seemed like we were going to derail. (Is now a good time to say that I exaggerate? haha) It was probably just me though as I forgot to take my Xanax that day and my friend didn't even look up from her book as we were bouncing around on the tracks. Given that the train times we took were during rush hour, I was surprised how relatively quickly we passed through Metra territory especially since its only double tracked. Another thing I noticed was that a couple people got on in Glenview on the way there to ride it downtown. I guess Metra must not have to many express trains on the Milwaukee North District. I still think a stop in Lake Forest would be great. We always seem to slow down heavily as we are entering Metra territory and I doubt a 30 second station stop would add much time.
  by Tadman

Those Amfleets showed up during the Thanksgiving rush I think. At least they were at CUS Thanksgiving weekend, and its the first A-I I've seen at CUS other than cafe cars since the 1990's.
  by AMTK1007

Tadman wrote:Those Amfleets showed up during the Thanksgiving rush I think. At least they were at CUS Thanksgiving weekend, and its the first A-I I've seen at CUS other than cafe cars since the 1990's.
That is correct, then they went away right around christmas and returned in the last couple of months... the rational is that the amfleed cars are better suted for the "Quiet cars" and thusly the 2 are placed one at each end of the Hiawatha sets
  by jsmyers

I'm planning on taking the train from CHI to MKE next month. (Arriving at MDW on a plane).

I hope to catch the 331 @ 8:25 AM. In all likelihood, I'll get to Union Station too late and have to take 333 @10:40 AM. Can anybody clarify for me that it will be simple for me to switch the ticket after 331 departs and that I won't have to pay extra?

Thanks
  by GWoodle

From your gate to the Orange line station may take a few minutes. From there it will be 26 minutes to downtown, & another 10 minutes into CUS. There is a bus to CUS if you don't want to walk.
Goggle Map does a good job at setting up your route from MDW to CUS. At worst, you should make the transfer in less than an hour.
  by jsmyers

Suburban Station wrote:unreserved tickets don't have to be switched at all
Thanks!
GWoodle wrote:From your gate to the Orange line station may take a few minutes. From there it will be 26 minutes to downtown, & another 10 minutes into CUS. There is a bus to CUS if you don't want to walk.
Goggle Map does a good job at setting up your route from MDW to CUS. At worst, you should make the transfer in less than an hour.
I'll probably take a cab if I think I can make the earlier train. I only have 35 minutes between my scheduled MDW arrival and the 331 scheduled departure. I won't check a bag and can walk pretty fast, but still seems unlikely.
  by Tadman

35 minutes is a real gamble for either taxi or L train. If the taxi gets caught in a jam on I-55, it's curtains. 35 minutes for the train would be close to a miracle (although I've done similar connections to a South Shore train from Midway).

If you don't make it, head on over to Miller's Pub or the French Market under Northwestern (Ogilvie) station. Either place has plenty of good eats.
  by Bob Roberts

^ or Lou Mitchells for a second breakfast!

Good luck with the transfer, based on my experience I would have never occured to me to attempt it.
  by jsmyers

Bob Roberts wrote:Good luck with the transfer, based on my experience I would have never occured to me to attempt it.
I did it to a Wolverine in May 2011 with my 2 year old and checked luggage. I had a lot more time then, but it went smooth enough that I figure I might have a shot at the early train.