• Amtrak Guest Rewards

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jcpatten

I have found that the most reliable way to get points for riding is to call the 800 number, talk to a live human, and specify that you have a guest rewards number. I've not been able to buy a ticket and have the points show up automatically (not realizing this "cost" me about 1200 or more points from a 2000 Amtrak trip).

It does take a 2 or 3 months to get the points from your purchases to show up. But even with MBNA getting bought it the points still happen.

by RichM

This situation is similar to the airline affinity cards, some of the issuing companies seem to move faster than others. It is "normal" to have the miles accrue only after the balance is paid, or at least the minimum payments are being made.
As a point of reference, AMEX may take 90 days to post Membership Rewards points as well.

by quadrock

Took 3 calls but they finally did it. First, I called the number on the back of my card. They told me to call AGR. Called AGR the next day and they told me to call the card back, as there was nothing they could do until they received information from the card. Called the card again, explained the situation...they lady on the phone was helpful but she said this was the first time someone had called about that Amtrak card and it seemed almost as if she didn't know there was an Amtrak card, as I had to explain to her how the 2500 bonus points and the 1 point/dollar work. She put me on hold for a good 10 minutes while she went to talk to one of the higher ups. Apparently they didn't know any better and she told me that they would open up a "support ticket" for me and send me a letter in the mail about what they find out. Haven't gotten the letter yet but I checked my AGR balance today and I received the 2500 bonus points + the points for my August balance so it seems they have fixed things. The points appear as "Adjustement" in the transaction history details.
  by The_Rockaway_Kid

Question:

From someone who enjoyes AGR's 500 Acela point bonus, yet is not a big fan of the Acela itself (and yes, I prefer some Amfleet for some strange reason... after some serious soul-searching, it has something to do with Acela's interrogation-room lighting mixed with my fond memories of riding the Amfleet as a youth), I was wondering how the points are calculated.

Do the points go to the train you purchased, or the trade on which you ride? I notice on the tickets it reads "partial refund does not apply if not used on AE." Theoretically, would I be able to ride a regional (with amfleets) on an Express ticket, and still get the full compliment of bonus points?

Thank you in advance.

by gprimr1

Im not sure. Remember that all Regionals are reserved now, I think you need a ticket for the Regional your on.

I wonder if that blip about refunds is a relic from the days of unreserved regionals. I'm afraid I cannot answer that.
  by gprimr1

I recieved a notice today from BOA that as of May 2007, the Amtrak guest rewards mastercard program will end. The card will still be valid as a BOA Mastercard but it will not earn any more points as of May 2007. Points earned will not be taken away or anything and it doesn't say anything about the entire guest rewards program ending, just the mastercard part.

I was looking at the rewards, and I don't think Amtrak should be giving away anything except upgrades and free travel on Amtrak.

I wonder if this is Amtrak of BOA's doing? Im pretty annoyed by this, but then again I have my Citi Dividends card as well.

by hsr_fan

Looks like I won't be using that card anymore!

by Ken W2KB

BOA took over the MBNA Bank AOPA affinity card a few months ago and the same thing happened. It terminated the 5 percent rebate on purchases of aviation fuel, supplie, etc. from participating fixed base operators at airports. Instead, holders would only get BOA "World Points," in my opinion not worth continuing using the card. I'd rather get more Marriot points with a different card, so I dropped the BOA card.

by hsr_fan

Now, if I drop the card, does that in any way affect the guest rewards points I currently hold?

by gprimr1

I dont think so. The BOA card is just tied to your guest rewards account, it's not like cancalling your guest rewards account.

But then again, never hurts to print it all out.

by shadyjay

I got the same notice in the mail yesterday.

So how does one earn points after May 07? Can you still earn points for Amtrak travel?

Either way, I'm cancelling the card after May. One BoA card is enough for me.

-Jay

by gprimr1

Yeah. I think that Amtrak isn't cancalling the program, just BOA doesn't want to do it.

by Mr. Toy

You will NOT lose any points. You will only lose the ability to accumulate points with the BofA credit card after May.

NARP reported on January 19that Amtrak is to offer a new rewards credit card sometime in April.

Incidentally, NARP is a great resource for information. I suggest consulting it regularly. You don't have to be a member to read the weekly hotline news.
  by jsc

Dear Mr. _______,

Thank you for contacting Amtrak Guest Rewards customer service.

Yes, Amtrak and Bank of America have agreed to discontinue the existing
credit card program. You will continue to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards
points on your Amtrak Guest Rewards Credit Card for all purchase that
are posted prior to the closing date of your May 2007 Bank of America
statement. Any points earned through the credit card will remain in
your Amtrak Guest Rewards account, governed by the rules affecting any
other program points. We will be offering a new Amtrak Guest Rewards
credit card beginning in April. Please check back after April 1, 2007
for further information.

The Amtrak Guest Rewards program is not ending, the partnership between Amtrak and Bank of America is the only thing that is ending.

If you have any further questions please contact us at 1-800-307-5000.

Amtrak Guest Rewards

by gprimr1

it sounds like most of us will not be keeping our cards, so maybe this was a bad idea of BOA.