• Amtrak Guest Rewards

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by x-press

The squares are just major cities on the routes.

JPS

by quadrock

Oh ok thanks a lot for the clarification. Now it really makes it worth for me to get my Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard.

by ryanov

Sure does. I was really disappointed when I read your post. I have yet to redeem points, so was thinking I had misread the whole thing and was only able to take a NY to Phila trip. ;) Whew. :)

by quadrock

Yea I felt all disappointed before I knew as well. It would make things so much clearer if they labeled them "Easter Zone, Central Zone, and Western Zone" rather then Eastern Region, etc. This can be very misleading when the first statement states that "Rewards are determined by the number of zones you wish to travel across" and then names the headings regions instead of zones.

Anyone know if using the MasterCard benefits Amtrak in any way? Im asking because I heard that Guest Rewards is a separate company, so I'm just curious if Amtrak itself gets a commision or does it get another benefit?

by prr60

quadrock wrote: ...Anyone know if using the MasterCard benefits Amtrak in any way? Im asking because I heard that Guest Rewards is a separate company, so I'm just curious if Amtrak itself gets a commision or does it get another benefit?
I have no specific knowledge of the MBNA/Amtrak arrangement, but typically the affinity credit card companies purchase blocks of miles or points from the carrier at a contracted rate. Those are the miles or points that are then provided to the cardholders. Presumably the purchase price is higher than the actual cost of providing the award benefit. The difference between the price paid by the credit card company for the miles or points and the actual cost to the carrier for the awards provided for those points is the net to the carrier.

So, if Bank ABC buys one hundred million points from Amtrak for 1.2 cents each ($1,200,000) to provide to the credit card holders, and the cost for Amtrak to provide the award benefits for those points is 0.8 cents each ($800,000), the net benefit to Amtrak is $400,000. The trick is for Amtrak to figure in a reasonably accurate way what those award points are really worth. That is not an easy calculation.

by Gilbert B Norman

While it is perfectly OK to have this discussion move forth as a separate topic, I thought earlier discussion regarding any MBNA issued card would be of interest.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13219

by Greg Moore

Note one thing that does confuse me is for my reward points it lists a Northeast Zone.

I'm not sure exactly what that covers and the map is even of less help.

Oh, and the credit card is worth it.

by chuchubob

Greg Moore wrote:Note one thing that does confuse me is for my reward points it lists a Northeast Zone.

I'm not sure exactly what that covers and the map is even of less help.

Oh, and the credit card is worth it.
Call the 800 number. I had a question and called the number and got a pleasant person on the phone who answered my question. Two weeks later, when I had accumulated the points that I needed, I called again and made my reservations. A day or two later, I got an email with the reservation number and went to a ticket office and picked up the tickets.

Two minutes later I photographedthe Crescent.

Bob

by Gilbert B Norman

I have my reservations about sharing this information with the forum, but here goes.

Maryland Bank, National Association (MBNA) is presently circulating a promotional offer for an Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card with a 0% introductory rate on balance transfers and cash advances; the intro rate expires Feb 2007. Retail purchases, including Amtrak transportation, are excluded but take an "attractive' interest rate.

Naturally, any promotional offer, is "targeted' by a credit card issuer; therefore a 'where's mine' is a "not applicable". Nevertheless, the offer is "out there' any you may have/will receive such.

Further, there is a "caveat" not mentioned in the promotional letter that of course applies to any "revolving charge" credit card out there. Suppose for example, a cardholder may have a 'balance subject to Finance Charge" on another card and chooses to transfer such to this newly issued MBNA/AGR card. But then, in the interest of "racking up' Amtrak points, starts making purchases on the card, however with the intent of paying currently for those purchases. Well the unfortunate fact is that one will find interest assessed on the purchases, as any payment is applied first to low/no interest promotions.

Therefore, as always, "borrow responsibly'

Lastly, guess who signed the solicitation letter?, Babs! , which I guess means she is "hanging on'.
  by mannynews

Just got my AGR Select Plus kit for 2006. An insert talked about a "blackout buster" option for AGR members.

After calling to inquire, the agent advises in the near future that Select Plus members will be able to travel during blackout periods on reserved trains, even during blackout periods....the only caveat with that is you will have to redeem "blackout" tickets at a higher point cost (agent says it will be around 6,500 points for reserved coach, but they are awaiting more information before the program goes into effect)

Good News
  by Jersey Jeff

My wife and I and our 4 year-old son (who really loves trains, thank goodness) are planning a trip from NYP to South Bend, IN on the Lake Shore Limited. We want to use our Guest Rewards points to pay for as much of the trip as possible.

Here are my questions I can't seem to find answers to on the Amtrak web site:

1.) Will a deluxe Viewliner bedroom be too small for the three of us? Amtrak's web site says that "The Viewliner Bedroom is designed for two passengers (but can accommodate three in a pinch)."

I've only shared a Viewliner Roommette with my wife and found the space to be adequate for two. Will we have enough room in a Viewliner bedroom for the three of us, or should I book two bedrooms or two roommettes?

2.)
Assuming we can squeeze into a single bedroom, Amtrak's Guest Rewards site says that a one-way, two-zone trip in a bedroom costs 30,000 points. Is that per person or per room? I'm unsure if getting us to Indiana will cost 60,000 points. If the cost is per person, then I'm probably better off getting two bedrooms.

As you can see, I'm pretty confused. Do any of you more frequent Amtrak LD riders have any advice for us? Thanks in advance for your help!

by CHI_Amtrak_Fan

To help you with your questions Jeff:

1. If your son is small, which he probably is at age 4, he might be able to share the lower bunk with whoever is smaller, you or your wife. I believe that the three of you, if all on the smaller side, could share the bedroom accomodations in the Viewliner sleepers found on the Lake Shore Limited.

2. You'll be purchasing a one-way, two zone trip in a bedroom for the three of you. Points are charged per bedroom, not per person. So the round trip will cost you 60,000 in points. If you decide that you may not all fit in the bedroom you'll buy two roomettes at a one-way, two zone cost of 20,000 points each. So the total roundtrip cost in 2 roomettes will be 80,000 points.

Please be prepared that the train will be delayed in arriving and/or departing from South Bend. I have read plenty of trip reports that say to bring plenty for the four year old to do. Have fun!

Cheers,
David Z

by ryanov

I have just completed this trip, except I went all the way to Chicago -- and I did it on rewards points. :)

That said, I personally think there is more than enough room in the standard bedroom. I would say that while it would be tight, if one were really on a budget, even a roomette would do for two and a small child. There is no obligation to be in your room apart from sleeping, and typically the lounge/cafe care remains empty for most of the trip.

by Jersey Jeff

Thanks for the helpful info.

We will bring my scanner and laptop with plenty of Thomas & Friends DVDs (as well as a small library of books) to keep him busy. Hopefully, he won't be too disruptive (crossing my fingers).

by The_Rockaway_Kid

two questions in regard to GR points:

It seems that I will become a Select member, which includes upgrades. If I upgrade on the LSL, will I be able to get a Bedroom, or will I be relegated to a roomette?

In addition, I recently took the Metroliner First Class NYP-DC, and discovered that I was unable to use my FC ticket to obtain free food in the cafe car (I had wanted M&Ms, but did not want to disturb the LSA). On a Long Distance train, does a FC ticket only include meals, or does it include all food?