• All Things Portal Bridge: Amtrak and NJT Status and Replacement Discussion

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by cruiser939

finsuburbia wrote:It does not look like this was ever posted:

Harbor Operations Presentation - 19 March 2009.

It mentions several future connections not to be precluded including an extension of track 4 east of the bridge. I wonder if that would be to replace track 3 at SEC or to provide a bypass around the north side. Any insights?
Secaucus Junction was built in such a way as to facilitate a future build out of a 5th station track. If track 4 were to be built someday in the future, it would essentially turn the side platform along the northern edge of the station (track 3) into an island platform.
  by E-44

From the AP:

Amtrak was unable to close the Portal Bridge over the Hackensack River. It’s not known when the problem will be fixed, NJ Transit said as of 1 pm.

Seems like the frequency of issues with closing the bridge is increasing. Is it likely that major repair$ will have to be made before the replacement spans are constructed?
  by JLo

The report is overhead wire problems, so it may not be the bridge itself. But a 100 year old pivoting drawbridge over salt marshes that carries hundreds of trains a day and saw many years of deferred maintenance during the lean years of American railroading is a problem.
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

I hear that Track 2 is out.
  by cruiser939

At 11:54am, Portal Bridge opened for a test and when they closed the bridge, they were unable to close the catenary. Maintainers were able to get track 3 back in service at 12:35pm.

EDIT: At 3:25pm, track 2 was returned to service.

Further edited to correct my bonehead mistake
Last edited by cruiser939 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Sirsonic

I must point out that there is no track 1 at Portal, nor any location between Hudson (exclusive) and A (exclusive). Im sure in your haste to relate (generously) what was going on, you hit the 1 key instead of the 3.
  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:At 11:54am, Portal Bridge opened for a test and when they closed the bridge, they were unable to close the catenary. Maintainers were able to get track 1 back in service at 12:35pm.

EDIT: At 3:25pm, track 2 was returned to service.
tsk tsk tsk - im gonna have to re-qualify you...................
  by cruiser939

Sirsonic wrote:I must point out that there is no track 1 at Portal, nor any location between Hudson (exclusive) and A (exclusive). Im sure in your haste to relate (generously) what was going on, you hit the 1 key instead of the 3.
Oh geez, what an egregious error on my part. You're absolutely right about the cause of it though, I did have my hands full dealing with the service outage.

I will be surrendering myself to choo choo prison Monday morning. All are welcome to gather for my "perp walk" from the MMC platform to the ROC.
  by matawanaberdeen

I have an somewhat off the topic question. What kinda shape is the bridge after South Amboy station or going in that goes over the Raritan river? It does look like its in terrible shape but not in the greatest shape either. It looks really,really ridiculously old. Thanks JC
  by sixty-six

matawanaberdeen wrote:I have an somewhat off the topic question.
That's a good indication that you should start a new thread.
  by matawanaberdeen

jimzim66 wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:I have an somewhat off the topic question.
That's a good indication that you should start a new thread.
I didn't want to start a whole thread just a curious question but ok just ignore it. JC
  by OportRailfan

or try the search function...there are plenty of posts in the forum about the 1909? PRR Raritan River Bridge.
  by matawanaberdeen

OportRailfan wrote:or try the search function...there are plenty of posts in the forum about the 1909? PRR Raritan River Bridge.
The search feature on boards like this are totally useless. They bring up 900 posts that has nothing to do with your search. Sorry guys just ignore my question. I'm sorry I made everyone so angry with my question. JC
  by philipmartin

I don't recall hearing that many delays on the Raritan River bridge, as compare with Portal. Maybe there is more river traffic on the Hackensack River than on the Raritan River. I worked DB, the old Erie swing bridge just above Portal, and it was in good shape. Every swing that Portal made, we made. I worked the Pennsy's Karny tower, and the swing bridge there was in good shape.
Years ago I heard that Amtrak wanted to replace the Portal bridge and that environmental studies precluded it.
  by Grump

The Raritan River bridge comparibly speaking seems to be in good shape compared to Portal. I can't even recall the last time my train has been delayed due to a problem with that bridge. Of course frequencies are a lot less and there is less of a ripple effect if there was a problem. Morgan can be quite finicky as many know and has had its share of problems in the past.

I just read that NJT has approved a project to overhaul the wooden "guardrail" piling system to protect the vital parts of the bridge from errant boats. Much of the current has been damaged by boats, barges, etc...